Light cavalry balance

• My background: been playing on and off since 3.0 , mainly as Gaul first, Roman second. I am not great at hammering so my style is mainly focused on anvil.

Issue: been playing Gaul on fire and sand and I have encountered a few Huns with
    Steppe Riders(SR):
    Attack: 120
    InfDef: 30
    CavDef: 15
    Speed: 16 (19 with hero)
    Carry: 115
    Food: 2
    TotalCost: 895
    TrainTime: 40:00

Amazing unit, however I was trying to compare it to the classic Gaul, Theutates Thunder (TT):
    Attack: 90
    InfDef: 25
    CavDef: 40
    Spees: 19
    Carry: 75
    Food: 2
    TotalCost: 1090
    TrainTime: 41:20

I can't help but notice that the SR is and absolutely better version of the TT.

This feels like a bit of an off balance in terms of civs utilities . Yes , Gauls are suppose to be a defensive civ with "some" offensive options. Making a comparison in a similar chapter we can see the infantry offensive units of differents civs. Using : Swordman(S) , Imperian(IMP), Axeman(AX) and Khopesh Warrior(KW).

Ignoring the civs unique bonuses here , the 4 are quite balanced in terms of cost and power where the cheaper and faster to train AX is a bit weaker than the rest of them in terms of offensive , the S is only slightly better offensively but more expensive , the IMP is the better than the former but more expensive and the KW is the most expensive due to the fact that it is at the same power level as a S but can also be used as InfDef.

Going back to TT and SR, SR is way better in every aspect (as they are both used as light offensive cav units) and to top it all off it even costs less and trains faster.

I was wondering if this just me being biased with Gauls or the SR could use a slight nerf - maybe making it more expensive ( or maybe the TT could be cheaper or some other balance).

Please do keep in mind that the SR for Huns is like the maceman for the Teutons, so nerfing this unit would be a heavy hit to the Huns hammers.

• Don't play gaul as off and it's fixed.
    They are bad.

TT final 2015 - Das Båt (SE)
    TT Qualify RU 2016 - Das Båt (Cerber-DD)
    TT final 2016 - illicit Ping, Pong & PangPang (Def&Dest)
    TT Qualify RU 2017 - Chip&Dale #1 off (CerbeR)
    TT Final 2017 - Chip&Dale (CerbeR)
    TT Final 2018 - Chip&Dale (CerbeR)
    SE3 2017 - Krokodil
    Se1 2017-2018 Garbage Bag #1 Def (SKRÄP)
    S6 Anglosphere - Mimer (Bifrost)

• TT's are still the fastest. If you are using them as a raiding unit, then I can see the advantage of the higher carry early game, but late game, with servers the size they are now you are unlikely to need that much. As a ghost army though, if hero is going with them then the SR is looking to be the better option. I've always liked TT's for their ability to mow down praetorians. I wonder how the SR unit compares?

Travian :: Extended Combat Simulator 2.0 - TTs
    Travian :: Extended Combat Simulator 2.0 - SRs

Hmmm. But I've loved TTs long time ;(

• Many thanks for posting a combat simulation . I was in the middle of adding one myself :) .And yes ! I have also loved TT a long time ... but they seem so obselete now :(. ( i know they are not, but they do feel like that)

Hence , why I am asking the veterans if I am the only one feeling like this.

• Gauls are meant to be for def but I've always played them as an offensive tribe. And yes, I know most veteran's would disagree, but I've just always loved them.

It took a long time for me to realise what a good defence tribe teutons can be. Not nearly enough play them for defence yet spears are a must for cavalry defence.

The new tribes each have a balance for offensive and defensive possibilities, but I think it will take a couple of rounds of playing them to get a really good feel for how they will work.

• Well tbf, huns are supposed to be the new teuton i think... they are meant to be for attack... like egyptians are meant for def

Travian just did what every game does when a new tribe or character arrives... super buff it so people will want to use it, and then nerf it slowly slowly

"slowly slowly" :D . I guess you are right . It would be nice to have some devblog where they mention that they are aware that some changes could/will be done to address imbalances like these.

• Steppes are insanely good - by far the best raiding unit in the game, and cheap with decent off/time. Unless you really want to be able to have 19 speed for ghosting, even when hero is not there, then TTs are still best of course... But if you plan to use your hero on the ghostings... Steppes are by far better.

Travian :: Extended Combat Simulator 2.0 - SRs

You actually used Marksmen in your simulation, Steppes give even fewer lost units (but not by much)

Travian :: Extended Combat Simulator 2.0

Edit: not exactly a ghosting, but when someone thinks it's okay to leave troops in inactive villages after truce ends and kill my raiding units:

Converter - Battle reports Travian

*chuckle*

• My advice for combatting huns would be to just smash their villages, their walls can be knocked down by throwing a chocolate bar at them.

My artefacts bring all the heroes to my yard

• Several people (myself included) made the same mistake when we started on the com8 beta :p

Wanting to scout a village, then being like wtf, why isn't it letting me chose if I want to scout res or defenses? Ohh.....

• like egyptians are meant for def

Huh, i thought they were meant for boost/techs accs :^)
    100% oasises power or whatever op.

TT final 2015 - Das Båt (SE)
    TT Qualify RU 2016 - Das Båt (Cerber-DD)
    TT final 2016 - illicit Ping, Pong & PangPang (Def&Dest)
    TT Qualify RU 2017 - Chip&Dale #1 off (CerbeR)
    TT Final 2017 - Chip&Dale (CerbeR)
    TT Final 2018 - Chip&Dale (CerbeR)
    SE3 2017 - Krokodil
    Se1 2017-2018 Garbage Bag #1 Def (SKRÄP)
    S6 Anglosphere - Mimer (Bifrost)