To Munich we go.

• Smaller map 200-250 for all servers..

Restrictions to message after making an account..
    Like u can send three msz each 24 hours till bp ends after that u need 300+ pop to send msz to outside of alliance. U can send unlimited msz to alliance players..
    Reason - irritating msz from advertisers.. also those acnt shouldnt be banned but either turned into natars or deleted permanently..

More later

• Sun is shining, summer is getting closer and here I am reading the forums craving for com1 to start. Without reasonable use for my time, I'll share more ideas to take to Munich. :D

I went through a lot of posts in the game development section and forums and came to conclusion that players (especially those who have played for years) want one thing over anything. That is more players, bigger servers. On a side note, most people complain the game is too time consuming. Let's see what can be done to accomplish these goals.

Someone already mentioned this in his post of suggested changes ( it was a very long, game changing list..) that the local domains should be combined. Right now there are 49 local domains plus the international domain. Let's do some comparison to Old school Runescape again. OSRS used to have local servers for virtually every European country back in 2007 plus Americas etc. but now there are only US, British and German servers. Now what does the change mean? Will the players of local servers quit since there is no local server or keep playing in the nearest server available? I do not know statistics of this but I'd say the first alternative is more likely.

How should the change be made? I think the developers should abolish the local servers and have one big international domain. The language issue can be solved by making it possible to change the UI language in game. The servers should (will) be restarted very rapidly and they should be labelled as either Americas/EU/Asia/international servers so that those who want to find their native buddies can have the chance for it (also gives a better latency for those who hate waiting for pages to reload). Combining the player bases would make it possible for TG to have a reduced number of servers running with a higher number of players on each server (benefits both TG and players craving for action). This being said, the forums should also be merged in a way that preserves a corner for chatting in one's native language. I believe most, if not all of the players, will move to english-speaking international forum and this would make it easy to form premade teams and discuss who will join each server to achieve the best competitive game experience.

To address the other issue of travian being too time consuming, I already proposed taking the way of quality of life changes. But now I'll share the other idea which affects the game mechanics instead of just game play.

As we all know, travian is a click based game and most of time used in game involves clicking. Nowadays many players play using mobile phones or tablets which is a huge disadvantage for both clicking (less accurate clicks and usually slower connection) and key strategic tricks in game (snipes, 4 wave attacks). How could this be changed or improved by other ways than just QoL updates which hardly affect mobile players? I'd propose smaller accounts and standardized in game wave builders and such.

What can be done to achieve same outcome (army size) with a smaller account? Do the same as T4.4 did! Increase the amount of resources produced by a single village and change the culture points system to limit the number of villages. The resource buff per village can be done by either giving a flat percentage buff to production like T4.4 did or allow upgrading fields to level 11 or even 12 (I'd prefer the second alternative since another production buff would result in overflow without further changes to building costs and times). To compensate the extra resources per village, CPs required for new village should be raised so that the total account wide production (capital excluded) with X- accumulated Culture Points stays about the same.

Other way to respond to the ever rising number of players on mobile is to create automated functions (read: replace use of illegal scripts with in game features) that reduce the huge advantage that players with good computers and fast internet connection have over others. I would suggest at least the following tools:

1) Wave builder
    2) Incoming attack reporter
    3) Farm list master button (Click reducer, bring it back!)

Start with the wave building tool. This tool could be used, say, 10 minutes before the exact launching time to prepare up to 4 waves of attacks/reinforcements to arrive to a given target village at the exact second. To keep the tool from being totally overpowered, I'd suggest it has a 100% chance to land the first wave (hammer or reinforcement snipe) at the given time and chance that the following waves fail to be on time increases as the number of waves increase.

The incoming attack reporter can be created in two ways. In rally point, the player being attacked would have a button that reports all attacks to the leader that can see the overview in a new alliance incoming attacks page (/allianz.php?s=3 is attacks page, create a new one next to it). TG can choose how much detail the tool itself has. It can either be a site where leaders can extract the source code of all reported attacks to an external defense tool, or it can have all the data itself in a sheet (this one I doubt will happen :P).

These changes would make travian a true strategic masterpiece that it claims to be. As it is now, only a small portion of players know of these basic strategies of war and only some of them can execute them, mostly due to bad connection and time issues. It is very unfortunate that a player's real life schedule affects the game play in a very deciding fashion. I think part of the problem of players leaving is the need to be sending attacks at the given time and the stress it involves. These changes I represented should ease the workload this game puts on its players.

Zioe | WILD | com1 2013

The Stranger | GOATS | com1 2014

SuperAidMinion | WILD | com5 2014

OswaldCobblepot | SGR | com1 2016-2017

Random Variable | SGR | com1 2018 + many other servers

aka. Valt

• I disagree about the time consuming proposed solutions mentioned above.
    What is greatly needed is an app to play Travian Legends, for ios/android. It would make things more simple and quick for whoever is using a mobile/tablet.
    As for making waves... it should stay as it is. At the moment there's the chance of something going wrong when launching and that's fine, because it's based on luck and it also opens up to a key team effort : defensive inserts.

By the way, the previous poster wants less villages. I say give us back the cps progression that let us get even 100 villages back on t2, instead

Marduk , R.Unite leader on old S5.com
    MCE member on s4.com
    Ass , Best/Nest on old s6.com
    Teoavo75 , Rep SW - now *****Rep - leader on s1.com , GF Hold member
    Teoavo75 , marduk , tiberius , nexus - SGR
    Drei - CWL

• Start with the wave building tool. This tool could be used, say, 10 minutes before the exact launching time to prepare up to 4 waves of attacks/reinforcements to arrive to a given target village at the exact second. To keep the tool from being totally overpowered, I'd suggest it has a 100% chance to land the first wave (hammer or reinforcement snipe) at the given time and chance that the following waves fail to be on time increases as the number of waves increase.

I will quit if TG introduce something of that sort. But I don't see why there can't be a mechanism mimicking firefox of-line method, i.e. attacker will need to click 4 times.

Post was edited 1 time, last by ELE ().

• Start with the wave building tool. This tool could be used, say, 10 minutes before the exact launching time to prepare up to 4 waves of attacks/reinforcements to arrive to a given target village at the exact second. To keep the tool from being totally overpowered, I'd suggest it has a 100% chance to land the first wave (hammer or reinforcement snipe) at the given time and chance that the following waves fail to be on time increases as the number of waves increase.

I think sending waves as it is now is fine. Sending on OPs is time consuming, yes, but I think it's one of the things where it makes sense that it takes time. It also feels pretty good too, to be sending attacks like that. I think most teams will have someone who will happily tell less experienced players how to send waves, so the "entry threshold" isn't that high. Generally, it seems to be possible to launch waves, even with slow internet too. It can be harder if you need to time it to a specific second, but just getting 4 waves seems manageable even with slow internet, as long as the internet is stable (i.e. all of the waves take the same time to send the request to the server).

3) Farm list master button (Click reducer, bring it back!)

Yes, definitely!

• I say give us back the cps progression that let us get even 100 villages back on t2, instead

Why? By mid server all villages don't even fit on my screen, i.e. I can't check if I have incomings or not with one click, have to scroll. Going through 30-40 villages closer to the end takes a lot of time, overview and other tabs help but still it is a chore and no fun.

• Well ele, is not that "that time" being able to make up to 100 villages ( or a bit more ) meant that everybody was able to. 1 person or 2 maybe , some would manage 60ish , otherwise 35/40 , then going down (definitely going down, after the first page).

Who now tops at 25/30 would have 5/10 more villages, that's all ( and the very few ending now with 45/50 could hit 80ish maybe )

Marduk , R.Unite leader on old S5.com
    MCE member on s4.com
    Ass , Best/Nest on old s6.com
    Teoavo75 , Rep SW - now *****Rep - leader on s1.com , GF Hold member
    Teoavo75 , marduk , tiberius , nexus - SGR
    Drei - CWL

• Still don't understand how does it matter. It is always relative.

Start with the wave building tool. This tool could be used, say, 10 minutes before the exact launching time to prepare up to 4 waves of attacks/reinforcements to arrive to a given target village at the exact second. To keep the tool from being totally overpowered, I'd suggest it has a 100% chance to land the first wave (hammer or reinforcement snipe) at the given time and chance that the following waves fail to be on time increases as the number of waves increase.

I was told that my reply is confusing, will try to make it clear. As long as a player has to click 4 times on exact second in order to send 4 waves I would welcome such addition but If you only need to click once at random time - thanks, but no thanks.

• Yes, 2007 is long gone but but does it matter? Absolutely not in my opinion. What can TG do to improve the game and community? Looking at other successful games with similar "playing mechanics" can give valuable lessons.

I completely agree with everything written here.

The entry barrier for travian is too big1for newer players. Playing as an offensive teut almost feels like
    a pubstomping. These new players on rank 3000 ask to please be allowed to join the alliance, and then subsequently
    get completely obliterated by their heavy golding neighbours.

Further compounding this is the fact that most competitive accounts are played by multiple players, and since newer
    players have not gotten any friends or an alliance, they are even more at a disadvantage.

I would even go further than wulfr101 and say that playing competively or having fun in travian is near impossible without
    spending atleast some money on gold.

The biggest obvious case for golding giving ingame advantages were the 25%, but now with Troop merging and artefact activation on F&S
    servers, I dont see how a new player who doesnt use gold can have fun at all on those servers. Since such a large amounts of mechanics
    are hidden behind a paywall.
    So we end up with servers like the current UK f&s server, where you have the older players, the silver sellers/bots and thats about it.
    If the bots werent on the server, early game raiding would be basically non-existant because there would be so few players.

TLDR:
    The game itself isn't fun for new players, and gold just adds even more entry-barriers for new players.

Legend says if you whisper his name three times, he will appear

Tip
    Tap
    Tip
    Tap

Sup son

• First step to take to listen to the players would be TG to read forums. So many community managers and such on the forums managing our language and behavior but no TG worker discussing with us :huh:

Zioe | WILD | com1 2013

The Stranger | GOATS | com1 2014

SuperAidMinion | WILD | com5 2014

OswaldCobblepot | SGR | com1 2016-2017

Random Variable | SGR | com1 2018 + many other servers

aka. Valt

• I finally realized what it was all about. TG decided to run an endurance test on hard core players. Proudly I say we passed!

I will not have time to write a summary till next week, but in short - the event exceeded my expectations with good margin. Key people in the game development spent huge amount of time talking with us and I mean talking and listening, not lecturing. My days started at 8 am and ended at 2 am, and all that time I was engaged in conversation with game makers and fellow players. Literally, yesterday I spent 30 minutes alone. You know I don't mind talking :D and never sleep but well.... there is a limit.

Jay - Social media manager
    Chris- Customer service team lead
    Ecki - Game Director
    Cecile - Head of community management
    Jake - Head game designer
    @cris@
    @Aprendiz
    @Ameno -Senior Community Manager
    me me me
    Brian - product owner
    Lars - CEO
    @Safiren
    @Rinobit
    @slow ciliatus (promter)
    @Schmitz' Katze
    @FreakZz
    @Lemon
    @LordTurek_PL
    David - Head of marketing Travian Games (not just Legends)
    Martin - Brand manager Travian Legends
    Martina - Community Communications Manager
    Frank - Head Customer Service (not just legends)
    Dirk - Head QA (Legends)
    Miguel - Senior UX Designer

It was great to meet you all as well as all others who participated. I hope it is not the last one and more players will get the chance to live through the excitement.
    Mood : :thumbsup:

Post was edited 4 times, last by ELE ().

• And Miguel? he nearly killed me today :P
    We talk with Frank also.

Pleased to meet you
    Hope you guess my name
    But what's puzzling you
    Is the nature of my game

(Symphaty for the Devil, Rolling Stones, ages ago)

fnx wrote:

I have to admit last year Villains played cleaner than us

• Where, who, how.

We were invited in Travian Games headquarters in Munich. The office located in huge business park, neighbors include companies like Microsoft, Amazon and Siemens. The office itself made me jealous, my workplace is full of cubicles with no windows. They booked a nice hotel for us, a few steps away from the office. At first I thought it was a waste, but by day 2 I was very grateful that we don't have to add commute to the schedule.

The list of participants is above, I hope I did not forget anyone. We also met many others during the walk around the office, but these meeting were short. We met the guy who took full responsibility for the snow. He is cute, that closed the topic for me. According to TG data, only 5% of players turned off the snow, I always knew I am special.

On the first day we were giving a schedule - which department we meet and when. There were several presentations but mostly we discussed the topics which were submitted to Martina before the event. Each of us had several stickers to pick favorites and discussions started from the most popular topics. Ameno and Chris stayed at the same hotel so their tortures began at breakfast, after each day in the office we went for a meal together with TG stuff, discussions in the hotel lobby lasted till 2 am every night. There was live stream of the drawing for the Tournament Qualification round, which some of you watch on the Facebook, we participated in internal review of last 2 weeks work and at the end had escape room challenge which my team unfortunately lost.

Post was edited 1 time, last by ELE ().

• What can we do.

Of course, most of the action are to be taken by TG and TG only, but there are a couple areas there we can help.

First one arose at the very beginning. We ran a short survey on players demographics (thanks to everyone who participated) and presented the results. The survey showed average travian player as 31 year old male or 43 year old female, very well educated, with 8-9 years experience in the game and s/he plays the game for long hours daily. TG presented their own survey of 6000 players that showed similar demographics (maybe that presentation can be posted on the forums?). My first question was how come I have never been a part of any survey in the last couple of years and I don't know anyone who was. It turned out that the answer is quite simple: surveys are being ran via e-mail, to receive the link a player has to check the box for TG news. I always opt out and so do most people I play with - we read the forums, we talk a lot to each other and we don't need news e-mailed to us. We asked to separate surveys from the news and make an additional checkbox for that, I don't know if that will happen, definitively not a top priority. So, for now, if you want your voice to be counted in future surveys, go to account settings and opt to receive e-mails from TG. I already did.
    While I am on the topic of the survey: the purpose of it was to show TG real face of a player as we all feel that we are not being respected, heard and are being treated as unruly child who needs to be restrained, punished and does not deserve any explanations. I believe this discussion set the tone of whole meeting, the game makers tried to break this perception and they succeeded, at least for the short terms. Time will tell if a long terms change will happen, but the door is open. Important to say that some communities were mentioned as good examples, German and Spanish to be specific, which means that TG has people who know how inside already, just need to spread good practices other all domains.

Second point was brought up when we discussed servers down time and performance in general. We were advised to contact any member of forum crew you see on-line, regardless of a domain, in case you see something drastically wrong with the game performance. They have means to alert technical support fast.
    I did not have to wait long for the first case.I woke up this morning and found the server I am currently playing down after maintenance, 3 hours and counting. No way to contact in game, pages would not load. Possible, that a post on the forum would do the job but no one made it. I saw a crew member I know on-line and reported directly. The issue was resolved within 10 minutes. Of course this is not the best way, there should be a procedure that allows tech crew to see troubled server without reporting, but for now this is what we can do to help: if you are unable to reach tech support in game, post on the forums, tag moderators to ensure they see it or directly contact a crew member.

Last but not least. We had long discussion about the enormous number of bugs with each new release. The explanation: TG is rewriting the old code on the background so they can become up-to-date with new technologies, bugs often have no connection to announced features. After their normal internal testing they roll an update out on PTR server (com80). The problem is people who play on test server do not report, it is less active crowd I believe. Next feature to release is new in-game combat simulator that has most features kirilloid has. It will be on PTR server soon. When test release is out, please register on the server, test it, break it and report it. Lets try for once have a bug free new feature.

To be continued. If you have question regarding topics that have not been mentioned yet, please hold them till I get there :)

Post was edited 4 times, last by ELE ().

• Thanks for the explanations.

Just one point, I played a PTR server here and there but always stopped because I never saw anything new to test there. Also I haven't seen any announcements on the forum that there will be a release or anything to test before it is rolled out globally.

Maybe I am mistaken as I am not too active on forum, but where do I find what to test specifially on PTR server and when?

• Thanks for the explanations.

Just one point, I played a PTR server here and there but always stopped because I never saw anything new to test there. Also I haven't seen any announcements on the forum that there will be a release or anything to test before it is rolled out globally.

Maybe I am mistaken as I am not too active on forum, but where do I find what to test specifially on PTR server and when?

Here I guess. And what specifically to test? Basically anything.