Fire & sand - merge troops for gold . BUT WHY ?!

• ooookay

so fire & sand version is quite different than classic legends and all new features do make sense for this format
    except one merging troops with gold.

I do understand that merging offensive units is suppose to counterbalance the ability of forwarding reinforcements and it´s actually quite interesting option.
    however option to use gold instead of resources is just ... well bad, terrible, too much pay2win, overpowered, unbalanced, ridiculous...

we all know that there are accounts with virtually limitless gold supply and even though they still have an edge on regular servers - it´s not that extreme .

however in fire&sand version they can move armies around all the time and players without HUGE gold supply can´t keep up with this, since if you want to merge without gold - it costs 2x cost of units in resources and you are limited by your ress / warehouses / granaries / merchant capacity etc, so there is practical limit of how much and how fast units you are able to merge.

so I propose one of following changes :
    A) disable the option of using gold to merge units completly
    B) set some reasonable limit as to how much units / day you can merge using gold + add ress price x1 to formula ( so gold will save you 50%, but only to portion of units)

and by the way this one specific feature is hated by pretty much anyone whom I asked so far. ( do a poll if using gold to merge is something players like and see for yourself )

2x The Legend of 2017(com+SK)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My english is not perfect, but it´s most likely better than your slovenčina :D

• There is one aspect of F&S you ignore - distance between villages. I bet most of "everyone you asked" never played regional map. Most of us had to go far from spawns/capitals and more than once. Merchants' speed, despite of all our begging was never adjusted. Building up a village in different region without merging troops and raid (even this is only raiding your own villages) would take you right to the end of a server, leave alone building troops or merging them with resources.
    The beauty of F&S is local fights, imho.
    I have no issues with option to merge small amount of troops with gold. I understand the issue with merging big army, I watched my beloved teammates doing this as well as an enemy and being a defcor I don't see a way out of it without heavy losses in some cases. So maybe amount you can merge should be limited.

Post was edited 2 times, last by ELE ().

• Merchant speed, despite off all our begging was never adjusted.

well trade office is x2 on fire&sand / roa version.
    it might not be enough, but it´s something.

and exactly, small amounts of units - that´s not really an issue.
    but merging huge armies on daily basis, that´s just bad
    and the other aspect of this problem is that merging with resources costs you x3 overall (2x for merge, 1x for training) - same as great barracks / stables.
    but with merging you are paying x1 ress and gold, to produce army of twice the size in one village
    and that´s problem, right.

if you have unlimited supply of gold, you can just mass infantry in multiple villages, merge them and you´ll end up with ridiculously cheap (ress-wise) and strong army.
    which is definitely not balanced

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Trust the experience, its barely anything. There are always other tasks for merchants.

Nobody merging huge armies on daily basis. I did not mean continuous merge of troops trained in different villages - somehow F&S allows enough fast defense to properly deal with quicker than usual trained armies as long as you have time to prepare. This is team game, teams on average have similar numbers of heavy gold users so this is not an issue, imho.

The problem comes when someone capable of merging 100K+ army, supported by well organized alliance, comes right into your alliance cluster with no capital in it or good hammer. You basically have a couple hours to react (i.e. cata the village). In a few hours there will be enough defense so local off will not get through, in a few days there will be enough catas to bother the neighborhood and nothing you can do.

• Nobody merging huge armies on daily basis.

but the thing is - it´s possible, if you have enough gold.
    and bcs of that you can make bigger army than someone who has to merge without gold
    the end result is that you can bascily buy resources with gold

The problem comes when someone capable of merging 100K+ army

yeah...

thus this function is just pay2win
    to some degree it might be okay, but there definitely should be limit for pay2win functions.
    and this is the only function that does not have any limit.
    every other gold feature is limited to some degree or you need to have resources to benefit from it

Why dislikes? It worth discussion.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• B) set some reasonable limit as to how much units / day you can merge using gold + add ress price x1 to formula ( so gold will save you 50%, but only to portion of units)

I support this option completely. I tried playing RoA and/or F&S servers but merging troops option put me off until now.
    Ok, I can be a golder if needed or if my team requires, but why should i spend crazy amount of money for a game ? This should be illegal !
    I have asked my team: 'hey have you heard about F&S 3x speed starting in April ? maybe we should consider playing one of those servers ...'
    Most popular answer I get is: 'that pay2win game with merging troops for gold ? No way , let's be serious, most of us are mature adults by now, we know better than spending hundreds of euro's for merging troops just to kill your noob neighbour.'
    To play a travian server 'hardcore mode' is already pretty expensive, but with this option it's just ridiculous and even dangerous for family budget.
    I honestly tried and failed to motivate my team to consider this game (ROA / F&S) :)

Teutonic Steel, Tournament 13-14-15-16-17-18 :hero3:
    Archangels, Dacia, 2011 (com5) - Archangels, WoD, 2010 (com1), Timb3r, ReF/CWL, 2009 (com6) - Arwen in 2008 (com5), Emerik in 2007 (com5), 2006 (com1), 2005 (com1)

• Most popular answer I get is: 'that pay2win game with merging troops for gold ? No way

yep, that seems to be the general mood about it everywhere

• and bcs of that you can make bigger army than someone who has to merge without gold
    the end result is that you can bascily buy resources with gold

It's really only being used to move armies to new regions that you want to conquer. No one really uses it to grow his army on a daily basis. I used a little bit of gold to merge small amounts of steppes in the early game (I spent maybe 50 total gold on this, over a week or two), but after that, I only merged with resources, since my raiding income was more than enough (sure, I could have merged more if I was golding, but that's just a waste of money). There might be a very few people that actually use it to grow their normal hammer faster, but it's really not a big issue.

Other than that, I do agree. It gives people who are willing to bust 1k gold on merging troops a huge advantage in taking over other regions.

• Well, most of the time we are grown ups. But I can easy see someone losing it and pulling out VISA to kill someone :D . Small/median amounts of merge make no difference on team game level, so just need to cap it somehow, imho.

• It's really only being used to move armies to new regions that you want to conquer. No one really uses it to grow his army on a daily basis.

(sure, I could have merged more if I was golding, but that's just a waste of money).

but you can do it, that´s the whole problem.

and you are talking about moving armies to new regions. plural.
    so you can gather armies from multiple villages and move them all to one big army which is the same result as doing it on daily basis and not teleporting the whole thing

but I am really glad, we can all agree that there should at least be some limitation to this gold feature

• The limitation, as is, that you can't merge siege is quite powerful as you are limited in what you can do with a hammer without sufficient siege and building up the siege in itself takes time that you can't get around.

Also merging several hammers into one can be strong, but on this server format you don't need the endgame hammers that you need for the WW type servers. I think there are many arguments for having more hammers rather than a less, but powerful ones on this version.

However, as I mentioned after the ROA server last year - it does feel bad when you wall a hammer and it's merged up into something significant in what feels like too fast :)

With that said, I would not complain if merging got nerfed/changed in some way either. I think you're overestimating the importance of this.

Post was edited 1 time, last by boodil ().

• Personally me and my team wouldn't go to the F&S/anniversary server only because of troop merging with gold. It's just unfair to the people who can't afford it. And I know that not many people use it, but the fact is that they CAN do it. Other than that whole concept of the game is much more interesting then the WW and I would rather play in anniversary server, but this gold merging option is a deal breaker for me.

You know the old joke, Eiaiestyi? Man shows up at the Pearly Gates, sees this guy in a pin stripe suit, and a briefcase, a cigar, prancing about. He says to Saint Peter, 'who's that guy?' Saint Peter says 'ahhh, that's just God. Thinks he's Jofke.'