Efficient starting guide (UK)

• You are right :) You have to demolish one of the crannies , or only build 1+9 in the first place. Fixed it into the guide.

Thanks for the graphics too!

Have you put the guide into practice?

Thanks for answering! I'm actually trying it right now in a newly started server (ts5.anglosphere), so I'll see how it goes. Been almost on par with the timings as well, but as I'm sort of a newbie, it'll probably still take me longer than someone with more experience.
    I do have one other question though:
    You mentioned some parts of the guide are optional, but how are you to tell if you need the extra levels (for the Embassy and Academy) or not? Does it only depend on whether or not you want to spend the extra resources/gold? Is it more time efficient?

• Thanks for answering! I'm actually trying it right now in a newly started server (ts5.anglosphere), so I'll see how it goes. Been almost on par with the timings as well, but as I'm sort of a newbie, it'll probably still take me longer than someone with more experience.
    I do have one other question though:
    You mentioned some parts of the guide are optional, but how are you to tell if you need the extra levels (for the Embassy and Academy) or not? Does it only depend on whether or not you want to spend the extra resources/gold? Is it more time efficient?

These things are gonna depend on how your start goes.

It might be worthwhile for you to set up a little spreadsheet. When considering what to build, there are two numbers you need to know, which are helpful for choosing what to build:

1) How long would it take for you to get enough resources to build residence 10 and 3 settlers if you stopped building right now?

2) How long would it take for you to get enough CP to settle if you stopped building right now?

If one is much higher than the other, you want to focus on boosting the other. For example, on one start, you might get tons of resource adventures or make big profits on the market or through raiding. Then you probably need to invest more into CP than resources since you're so far ahead.

With that in mind, I'll give you what I assume he means by the optional buildings:

Embassy - If you're really behind on resources, building an extra cranny instead of a embassy will get you a few less CP but save you some res, especially in the pop (AKA wheat consumption) that the embassy would otherwise take.

Academy - I personally would never recommend a town hall for a simming start, but maybe if you were to land incredibly behind on CP and incredible ahead on resources (common for Teuton raiding starts) you would want a town hall, which requires an Academy 10. Otherwise, academy 10 isn't CP efficient to be really worth building so early.

I do find this guide really interesting, and it is a good one. Differences between this and the methods and build orders I use are likely down to choice of metrics and personal tastes. A lot of the start is understanding how the account is going and feeling it out. That said, you can't really go wrong following this if you aren't 100% sure what to focus on in the early game :)

As an addendum addressing something else you said: if you have a little bit of gold, I'd save it for NPCing. This can make the a pretty significant difference. If you can focus on building the most efficient fields instead of specific types, you can get a pretty significant leg up. Especially when trying to number crunch on having the right ratios for settlers, which have a huge bias toward one res (Gaul: clay, Roman: iron, Teut: wood). Wheat fields are significantly more efficient than other fields due to the mill plus the fact that they take no population. Iron fields, on the other hand, are more expensive than the other 3 and give more population. If you store resources in your marketplace, you can probably create all three settlers with just one NPC (queue the first, collect until almost full on resources, store the one that you need the most in the market, NPC for the second settler, then withdraw from the market and wait for the third)

The post was edited 2 times, last by Armour ().

• Armour thanks for clearing this all out. :)

I will take another look on the guide later today and fix it so that everything is explained a bit better. Might include alternative strategies for gold users versus non-gold users and raiding start versus simming start. This current version was mainly a test to see if people are actually using guides nowadays and given they do, I will for sure put a lot more effort into it!

• Trying this system ... working quite well thanks

Although unless I have missed something (I'm doing 3.1 version) the granary is not big enough for the 3900 wheat required for a settler?