Qualification Servers

• OK, I'll admit. I'm stumped. I've been playing this game for nearly 9 years, but I've stuck to the UK because it's what I know and understand and whenever anyone talks about going to play Com there are shudders. Bots, cheats, multis, tech accounts, 53 duals to one account, mega metas and different codes of play to what we are used to here.

Nobody from UK talks much about the Tournament. So what is it? How do you play it? How do you know what domain to play?

Apparently you have to have a key? Where does the key come from? Who decides who gets one? There is no UK domain in the qualifiers. Why not? Does the fact that I always play UK mean I get no magic key? If I do get a key and play it, how many support accounts do I need? How many duals? It seems you need about 10 people to get one account running, but that can't be right surely?

I never really cared about it before, but suddenly we are being swamped with videos and posts about it and I don't get it. This draw for the qualification rounds. What does it actually mean? How was it decided which domains went into it? There is no UK in there so if I want to play do I have to do it with a different domain? Can I play the US one? Should I want to play the US one? Does anyone here even care? I'm in three alliance rooms for three different servers and not heard a whisper about the Tournament. Why? Why is UK so completely and totally absent from this?

Answers on a postcard...

[align=center]
    Stand out Award 2017 UK

The post was edited 4 times, last by Mercedes ().

• Where are 2 parts of the tournament: qualification round which is about to start and the tournament itself. For qualification round you don't need a key and can register on any of 4 designated domains plus com and arabic (or all of them). Host domains TG chooses based on population and whoknowswhatelse. The only formal difference is the languages of support team, activity depends on who plays. At the end of qualification round top 2000 populations, 1000 attackers, 1000 defenders and all WW holders getting the keys, nothing complicated, accounts with 3 villages pretty much guaranteed a key so servers are mostly (but not always) boring. In addition to that there will be wild card lottery before the main round, if you bother to enter several e-mails into it (not forbidden) you will have a key most likely or large teams can provide you one if you are willing to join.

@Safiren is doing awesome job covering everything about the tournament. Tournament 2018

P.S. Please don't confuse com crowd and tournament crowd, they are different.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ELE ().

• It's only the 16 biggest domains who gets drawn into a server.
    The drawing doesn't really matter thought since you can play wherever you want regardless of your nationality.

You don't need a key or something for qualfaction you also need that for the finals and you get one for either getting top 2000 pop or apllying for a wildcard before the finals itself starts.

TT final 2015 - Das Båt (SE)
    TT Qualify RU 2016 - Das Båt (Cerber-DD)
    TT final 2016 - illicit Ping, Pong & PangPang (Def&Dest)
    TT Qualify RU 2017 - Chip&Dale #1 off (CerbeR)
    TT Final 2017 - Chip&Dale (CerbeR)
    SE3 2017 - Krokodil
    Se1 2017-2018 Garbage Bag #1 Def (SKRÄP)

• You can register anywhere you want on the qualification rounds. For the final itself, access is restricted - but it's not really that hard to go.

You need to be in top 2000 off/def/pop or something like that on the qualification servers to be automatically qualified (you get a key) - or you can get one in a lottery they do.

All big metas have support accounts solely for boosting some specific accounts, whether in the form of private farms or garages. Some metas have players playing these support accounts... Many metas with these "tech accounts" are just multies too - and even if a real player registered the accounts, they'll typically be accessed by proxy/TOR or w/e. Many metas have the OCs log in and send the attacks from their members... etc. etc.

Above is enough to keep me completely disinterested in playing there.

If you think it would be cool to see the extremes of travian, then it's probably worth a look. Yes, you have the rule breaking, and other stuff that I and many others think is lame (those private farms, while technically not against the rules if they have an actual person playing... Are still lame as f.). But you definitely also have a much higher degree of actual teamwork too than anywhere else (res pushes, def, non-stop operations) - and of course the biggest hammers and the biggest def.

Depending on where you end up if you go to the actual finals (and not just quali), you can easily have your account 0'd repeatedly throughout the server.

So yeah, it's extreme - if you think it would be fun to experience that, go for it. Otherwise don't.

Edit: ELE is correct, both in terms of what is required for qualification, and in regards to not confusing tourney with regular .com play.

• It's 2x speed, so just like a 3x server, you have to have no life, duals, lots of gold or preferably all 3.

A lot of wings co-ordinate themselves for most part which is interesting, but yes it's the same as COM, cheating multis run rampant.

For example, imagine a gold war where one ally is chiefing another over several villages and puts a monopoly on tablets of law to maximise chances of success. Imagine 50k druid tech accounts. Imagine 7 multi accounts supporting a WWK. This is tourney.

• It's 2x speed, so just like a 3x server, you have to have no life, duals, lots of gold or preferably all 3.

A lot of wings co-ordinate themselves for most part which is interesting, but yes it's the same as COM, cheating multis run rampant.

For example, imagine a gold war where one ally is chiefing another over several villages and puts a monopoly on tablets of law to maximise chances of success. Imagine 50k druid tech accounts. Imagine 7 multi accounts supporting a WWK. This is tourney.

I'm surprised you know so much for never lasting past artes ;)

• I played it once, as a solo account. More people really shows, since it gets crowded really fast. You dont really have slow days, since there is always something each day, since its speed as well. More people willing to throw gold down the drain so you have a lot of stronger accounts quickly and alliances with "meh->bad" leadership perish quickly.

As I said, I only played it once, but I was not a fan. Reasons:
    1) Its speed -> nearly impossible to run a solo account on this competitive of a server
    2) All the swarm of people -> That one was the biggest shock. 8k accounts stacked up in a server, meaning you are always close to someone and in a speed server, 1 night and your account is ruined.

Why you might be interesting for you:

Super competitive. Can be fun if you find a rilvary and try to stick it to them.
    Fast paced, no slow days. But you need good support from other players (sitters, duals etc)

Just my 2 cents

• UK was invited qualification 2015 to Group C France.

A few of us tried it back then but we didn't hang about, the amount of cheating that goes on is staggering. When i tried to join an alliance i was told i had to give my password to the leaders!

There has been absolutely no interest in it from the UK domain so they just leave us out of it.

• I just wondered why there is no interest from the UK and so little information about it. I guess I got the answer ten times over :D. Thank you to everyone who replied with useful information.

Edit: I’m aware Com crowd and tournament crowd are different, but UK players seem to have similar opinions about play style for both.

[align=center]
    Stand out Award 2017 UK

• (those private farms, while technically not against the rules if they have an actual person playing... Are still lame as f.).

Does no one read the rules?

§ 1. Account

• § 1.1 Each player may only own and play one account per game world. An account must always be played for its own benefit. Accounts that exist solely for the benefit of other accounts may be permanently banned.

For Mercedes, I should also add that if you are at all active in one of the domains that are in the listing but not well represented, you really don't have to do anything to get in. The mods have a certain number of keys they can give away. The us domain is notoriously anti-tournament (we've had one or two teams, who quickly found out that the rule-bending and aggressive spying and backstabbing was not to their liking) so I've been approached a few times and offered tournament invites by mods. I'm sure if you want one you could get it.

As for why there's no interest, it's the same reason why smaller domains exist: small games are a very different dynamic and play experience. Players who like domains like us and uk and have stuck around there typically aren't the type who enjoy tournament servers.

• If it's anything like normal servers you can't preregister and will have to sign up on the day, at which point roughly 50% of them will not have started off on time and there will be uproar :thumbsup:

[align=center]
    Stand out Award 2017 UK

• Does no one read the rules?....

Does no one understand the rules?

Friendly farming is (sadly) permitted depending on the MH. It all hinges on how the Mh interprets the "played for own benefit" part. As long as its not a multi account and there is an actual player playing it. Which is why wishmaster included the part in parentheses.
    Been going on for a long time and so far no action from TG brass, so it will continue to be judged on a case by case basis.

Legend says if you whisper his name three times, he will appear

Tip
    Tap
    Tip
    Tap

Sup son

• Does no one understand the rules?
    Friendly farming is (sadly) permitted depending on the MH. It all hinges on how the Mh interprets the "played for own benefit" part. As long as its not a multi account and there is an actual player playing it. Which is why wishmaster included the part in parentheses.
    Been going on for a long time and so far no action from TG brass, so it will continue to be judged on a case by case basis.

MHs can certainly be included in the no one lol. I was more just mocking that TG writes out such explicit rules and then never enforces them.

Or at least never on big servers. I've seen a small handful banned on more medium sized domains. I might actually be interested in tournaments if it was about you ability to play, not your ability to skirt the rules harder than anyone else lol.

• There has been absolutely no interest in it from the UK domain so they just leave us out of it.

I would say you choose to stay aside. There is no special treatment for uk domain in relation to the tournament, pretty sure about this.

I’m aware Com crowd and tournament crowd are different, but UK players seem to have similar opinions about play style for both.

And if you are aware that common UK players view is a delusion why did you mix two together?

MHs can certainly be included in the no one lol. I was more just mocking that TG writes out such explicit rules and then never enforces them.

That is not true. Rule 1.1. is heavily enforced on large com servers and on tournament servers which leads to a lot of frustration as it creates a lot undoubtedly (in my mind) false positives and even more unclear cases. The rule is not defined and in general (again, in my mind) by definition contradicts the idea of team play, there is no such thing as "own account benefit" in team game. Don't get me wrong - the rule does more good than bad, i.e. illegal accounts are being removed from the game under this rule, mainly multi accounts that are being run carefully enough to hide other evidences, and for this reason a vague rule is reasonable but at the same time extensive training and accountability of MHs is required. Here comes an example

Imagine 50k druid tech accounts.

May I ask you for a definition of tech account? I would guess you mean an account that does not play for it's own benefit. 50K druids is not huge number but for sure enough to believe an account played it's own game.

The post was edited 3 times, last by ELE ().

• And if you are aware that common UK players view is a delusion why did you mix two together?

Really sorry Ele, I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this. I've not suggested in any way that the view of UK players regarding Com or Tournament players is a delusion, are you suggesting UK players are deluded? That's pretty offensive? I'm hoping I've interpreted your comment incorrectly.

This thread wasn't intended to be a discussion on the rule about playing an account for it's own benefit. The general MH response to friendly farming would be that the push limits are there to prevent this happening. This is a team game and running accounts for the benefit of the alliance is not in question. Running accounts to push and glorify one other account, though, breaks that rule in spirit even if it abides by it in principle.

Anyway, it seems there is a consensus of opinion here, so I'm happy that Tournament servers is not for me :)

[align=center]
    Stand out Award 2017 UK

• Not sure why I feel a need to defend tournament, but the bashing it is getting from people who never played it is not fair and positive aspects that have been mentioned by several people in this thread are buried.

Disclaimer: Last time I played tournament was 3 yes ago and I don't plan to do it again. Mainly because people are forced to cheat (under current rules) in order to stay competitive and because I'm not interested in playing with a group of 1000 people, an alliance of 60 usually provides more than enough drama to my taste.

As @wishmaster3 said, there is definitely much more team play. WWK teams are planned before start as several accounts team, with active players, often duals behind each.
    Early catas and early fast defense (aka druids) are pushed on the scale you have not seen on regular server - by hundreds accounts. Settling is planned by alliance leaders and when I read post observation about such planning I feel very small minded - I have never came anywhere close to such level of planning. Record hammers emerge, record defense count not so often but 700K druids were built this round (yes, by several accounts team).

Activity is much higher, especially if you are in border zone which is usually half of the map. Runs are short, can be 2 hour regular daily ops. Software regularly fails under such activity.

You will be taken out of your routine to see how competitive you can be without hefty 150 15C, with no access to artifacts by default, with auction ran by equal goldwhores, with extreme competition for raiding base and opponents who never sleeps.

Diplomacy is more interesting as usually there is more than two sides with WWKs. Something new every round: completely unknown on regular servers competition for getting construction plans was the story of last year. End game is boring though, after the hype of first few day (also unknown on most domains) - after level 25-30 no imaginable hammer can even scratch WW.

I am not sure where backstabbing came from, as far as I know Tournament leaders have much more friendly relationships than rivals on some domains.

• I mean the main difference a "normal 1x speed" server and a tourney server is IMO, that you can play that normal server casually. After the 1st week or 2, you can log in once every hour for a few minutes via phone or once every 4 hours for like 10 minutes and you can play casually (that is, if you have no role in your alliance etc. just playing the game).

While the tournament is meant to be played as a "proper game". You sit down for an hour, 2 and just play. Like you would do with League or Cs:go. You cant do it "on the side" anymore and you have to plan to stick a few hours a day dedicated to running an account.

Just what I feel is the main deal breaker, alongside the points I made above.

• Really sorry Ele, I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this. I've not suggested in any way that the view of UK players regarding Com or Tournament players is a delusion, are you suggesting UK players are deluded? That's pretty offensive? I'm hoping I've interpreted your comment incorrectly.

I think UK players are delusional about similarity between com and tournament servers. You found it offensive? Really? I am a com player and a com alliance leader and I find your opening statement in this tread quite offensive but I am sure you did not have such intentions.

whenever anyone talks about going to play Com there are shudders. Bots, cheats, multis, tech accounts, 53 duals to one account, mega metas and different codes of play to what we are used to here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ELE ().