[2019 LoT] Phase 1: Identifying the Issues

• Forgive my cynicism, but I think we need to be realistic here... We're constantly giving feedback on issues and it goes into a black hole.

This, it seems to me, is a far larger issue than the others being raised here, and directly contributes to all the other problems. As far as I can tell, there is no system in place for us, the players, to hear back from TG about suggestions, questions, or really anything. Even the forum moderators (who deserve a lot of credit for the mostly thankless work they do for us all) don't seem to get responses to the memos they send.

I think that instead of discussing specific game mechanics or strategies, BlackBlade should ask TG for better customer service. I would like to see:

1) Regular forum updates from the developers responding to our suggestions, sharing their thoughts, and detailing the ideas that are being worked on.

2) An actual customer service feature (phone line, email, something besides sending the MH an igm) to allow us to solve problems with gold transfers, in-game bugs and glitches, bans, etc. MH's are a diverse bunch... Some are excellent, some are not, and there should be another way to address these issues.

3) In general, much more interaction and conversation between the players and TG itself.

There are obviously lots of other things to discuss, but I think this is the most important one: We need to be able to discuss things on a regular basis with the people who develop and run the game.

Have a great time, BB!

• An additional suggestion was to disable farm list sending initially, possibly until week 3. Obviously, all the big raiders howled that down despite the fact that many people agreed the massive farming is what causes new players to delete.

Tbh, I often raid mostly from reports the first week or two, since you don't have enough troops to send at set intervals, and what I want to raid depends on the last bounty the target gave. This limitation won't really stop new players from becoming farms - we used to raid with excel sheets before the farmlist was implemented - and the constant raids don't start until later than week 3, when several raiders have enough troops to send in regular intervals (sub-1 hour).

Not that I don't agree that new players are discouraged because they become farms, but just saying I don't think this solution will help it. I think a better way is to provide a way for new players to learn the game basics before being thrown in at the deep end. I do also think that there should be some risk though - I think all of us had to cranny up and settle in boonies to be safe on our first couple of servers - but new players have to realize that it's a way to avoid getting completely smashed right out the gate (which is also why I wrote a guide for new players here on the forum which, amongst other things, included that).

In regards to the croppers, I think the issue is exaggerated. While something like only 5 150% per quad is a bit extreme, it kinda feels like people seem to think that everyone as a minimum should be able to get a 125% 15c. A 100% or 75% is perfectly viable too, unless you plan to sim 500k+ troops or w/e and never raid.

I know the special servers are a bit different from normal servers, but I managed to have one of the top accounts on the F&S beta server with a 9c 25% cap - of course the same is not easily possible on normal servers, but then a 75% 15c is still a lot better than a 9c 25%.

In regards to new players not getting croppers - chances are, they wouldn't know how to properly utilize a good % 15c on their first run anyway.

On top of that - for players with no/low gold usage, a 9c is quite often a better choice for cap, since developing the 15c will be too slow (and even if somehow managing to develop it properly, then not being able to utilize the production of it) - and I guess new players often play with limited gold usage the first round or two at least.

I do completely agree that they should look at distribution of those croppers though - one quad having 12 while another has 5 is completely insane.

3. Get a damn black or fluid black theme for the forums! It's high time and TG needs to keep up with the cool kids.

I miss the fluid black theme :(

• Not that I don't agree that new players are discouraged because they become farms, but just saying I don't think this solution will help it.

In regards to the croppers, I think the issue is exaggerated. While something like only 5 150% per quad is a bit extreme, it kinda feels like people seem to think that everyone as a minimum should be able to get a 125% 15c. A 100% or 75% is perfectly viable too, unless you plan to sim 500k+ troops or w/e and never raid.

It was only one of eight suggestions - my point wasn't "we should do x", my point was that eight different suggestions had been put forward and to our knowledge Travian has completely ignored the issue.

As for the croppers, you're approaching this as if there's a valid reason to deny all players a decent cropper. There's not. If every single player on the server had a decent cropper, it doesn't disadvantage anyone.

I'm not suggesting every second square be a 15c +150. I am saying that making them rare serves no purpose. Players in alliances do not routinely lose their 15c capital space to a rival because you can't chief a capital, you have to destroy it. That is the only real reason to make them rare that I can see - the theory that players will actually fight over them. They do not and generally cannot fight and take them, and once most people have catas, there will be defs. All they do is fight over who gets the first gladiator helmet for £500.

If the map were full of great croppers, people would still bid big for a helmet so Travian can relax, you'd still get your money - the battle would just be for who gets the central ones.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Elisa ().

• I have to agree with Elisa with regard to croppers. Except that people do fight over them, and then the loser quits, instead of spending gold developing their own cropper and I don't see how that is anyone's interest.

• I have to agree with Elisa with regard to croppers. Except that people do fight over them, and then the loser quits, instead of spending gold developing their own cropper and I don't see how that is anyone's interest.

It's in travian interest since you have to spend 200£ on CP helmet to insure you the best cropper.

• It's in travian interest since you have to spend 200£ on CP helmet to insure you the best cropper.

i'll easily spend more than that on a server, someone spending gold to the end of a server is more valuable than one person buying a helmet

• In regards to the croppers, I think the issue is exaggerated. While something like only 5 150% per quad is a bit extreme, it kinda feels like people seem to think that everyone as a minimum should be able to get a 125% 15c. A 100% or 75% is perfectly viable too, unless you plan to sim 500k+ troops or w/e and never raid.

Garages and personal farms (dream). But seriously, seeing how much garaging/multi-accounts going on, any account seem to be able to raise a WWk without raiding these days.

I'm not suggesting every second square be a 15c +150. I am saying that making them rare serves no purpose. Players in alliances do not routinely lose their 15c capital space to a rival because you can't chief a capital, you have to destroy it. That is the only real reason to make them rare that I can see - the theory that players will actually fight over them. They do not and generally cannot fight and take them, and once most people have catas, there will be defs. All they do is fight over who gets the first gladiator helmet for £500.

If the map were full of great croppers, people would still bid big for a helmet so Travian can relax, you'd still get your money - the battle would just be for who gets the central ones.

I have to disagree here. To my experience, people do fight over good croppers. In fact, I have seen two alliances going into a war due to a 15c 150% cropper situated on the border. I have also seen alliance push the account that settled right next to a good cropper owned by another player so that he can rush early catapults to destroy it before it gets enough defense. But it is true that once a cropper is taken, it is very cumbersome to claim it. That is why many players are willing to spent hundreds of dollars to be the first one to settle on those locations. If supply of 15c croppers increase, I have to think that the regular market dynamics would work here and the money one would pay for a helmet would naturally decrease (as, the probability of having another central cropper increases). Besides, not everyone wants to settle centrally - some people like to sim on a bit deeper in the quad before taking cross-quad fights.

I am not arguing that increasing number of good croppers is not something to be considered - you definitely have a point. But one also needs to keep in mind that people start to understand the value of good croppers as they become more experienced in travian. I remember that I set my spawn as capital in the first two servers I have played as I didnt know the game mechanics very well - so lack of 1st tier croppers is not a problem for new players. On the other hand, if these experienced players cannot get a 1st tier cropper, they should know by experience that 2nd tier croppers is not the end of the world. In fact, the excitement of rushing for a very limited resource (15c) is a good driver to play in the early game where there are no real fights. In a case where everyone is guaranteed to get a good cropper, I am afraid the early game could be quite boring. So, a bit repetition of mads' point but w/e: New players do not really know the value of good croppers and experienced players know that not getting a 1st tier cropper is not a reason to quit the server.

My real problem is with the inflated prices and rarity of some key items early game. Those who spend almost 1k dollars on gladiator helmet/oints/bucket/cages/armor not only secures the best croppers, but also develops much faster. By the time ordinary players settle their second villages, top tier/top spenders are already getting their third villages and the gap increases exponentially. I think this is a bit too much for a "free to play" game.

Noel, 8:13 PM

She breaks my heart, I break their armies

• It's in travian interest since you have to spend 200£ on CP helmet to insure you the best cropper.

But then again, high level croppers usually require gold if they are to be upgraded as fast as possible, so it also ain't that bad.

lkMFwPU.png

si4 2007/08 Vrba [ANCIENT]

si5 2012/13 orangutan [AK]

si2 2017/18 sph1nX / Blobfish [Midgard]

si1 2018 .iDKz! [RM]

com29 2018 sph1nX [UN-C]

com83 2018/19 Bacardi Time [DSC-IDTS]

TT Finals 2018/19 Witch King [Union]

Anglosphere6 2018/19 Fimbultyr [Bifrost]

• If supply of 15c croppers increase, I have to think that the regular market dynamics would work here and the money one would pay for a helmet would naturally decrease (as, the probability of having another central cropper increases).

But one also needs to keep in mind that people start to understand the value of good croppers as they become more experienced in travian.

Except no - the newbies just quit, and they don't come back next round.

And while in theory the price of glad helms would be expected to fall, Travian snuck in some massive nerfing on hero items - shields, breastplates, and armours are all half as useful as before - and surprise surprise players are still paying the SAME amount of silver for them in the market (~20,000 for a shield in weeks 2 & 3). The ridiculous price of the glad helm only requires two determined rich people for it to go through the roof. There will still be two, determined, rich people who want that helmet even if it is just to make sure they get the cropper location they want, and even if there are another 30 150% croppers in their quad. They'll still want to be the first one walking, because it reduces the chance of a bounce (greatest fear).

• One solution to fix the cropper and oases problem that bother so many ppl here can be :

reimprove hero's mansion by adding a 4° slot for oasis. So you can take oasis at lvl 5, 10, 15 and 20.

price/cost lvl 0->5 is equal to current price of lvl 0->10

price/cost lvl 5->10 is equal to current price of lvl 10->15

price/cost lvl 10->15 is equal to current price of lvl 15->20

price/cost lvl 15->20 is equal to a price that TG must define.

This will allow player to have four oasis, with a restriction of 150% crop oasis max.

->This will allow to have more oasis with cropper capital, there is a lot of cropper with 4x 25% crop oasis in 7x7.

->Fight for CP helmet will continue since it's cheaper to raise future hero's mansion to lvl 15 instead of 20.

Other game suggestions :

-Making an adress notebook for the ig mailbox. Can be helpful for alliance leaders to have a distinction between off/def, and facilitate their [alliance/meta leaders] work without being prevented by anti-spam system, which currently limit the messages sent to 30 differents accounts max every 10 min.

-a button "cancel all reports on this page" will truly be appreciated, especially for raiders. Have you seen how b.tchy is to "select all", scroll down, clic "delete selected messages" ?

-for big walled villages, multiple selection of the reinfs currently on the village to allow multiple withdraw also can be nice. Will also help a lot in RoA/PtP version to sent to other villages the reinf (don't know the exact term sorry :( )

• Hello everyone!

Thank you for the replies. I've been a bit busy so I haven't been able to engage recently. I've been taking notes on everything said but due to the volume of content I won't be addressing each post individually. This thread moved a little beyond the identification of issues into the realm of solutions but that was rather inevitable I think.

This thread and my contact with players elsewhere have confirmed that Community-Company Relations needs an overhaul. There is a huge amount of frustration that the interests and views of the players are ignored. Interactions with HQ when they come, come off as a mix of condescending and platitudes that don't understand what the community is feeling / need. I expect this will be a major focus of my efforts. There absolutely needs to be more frequent and transparent communication from the different stakeholders at HQ. I also believe that this issue underlies all the other game issues. If the game team can better understand their players and the game than it will be easier to improve it and grow the community. This positive feedback loop would mean more money for Travian and more enjoyment for us.

I do want to say one thing re: premium features (i.e anything that costs $ / Gold / Silver). Based on my readings of TG's management reports filed with the German govt, Legends represents anywhere from 35-50% of the company's yearly revenue. While the report doesn't break it down the exact revenue / costs by product, given the status of the game I suspect it is highly profitable on its own. The company needs that profit to fund new ventures and subsidize under performing games. Given that I expect they will be VERY hesitant to make adjustments to anything regarding monetization - even if its what we want and may be best for the game long term.

In the next few days I will be starting threads to cover different ideas that I have collected from various sources in addition to this thread. I'm thinking I will use a model similar what Schmitz' Katze is doing for the DE Community where there is a central thread with a post for each idea and accompanying explanation and whatever other necessary details. Then players can up-vote / down-vote the idea to give me an idea of what kind of support it has in the community. This isn't ideal since a lot of people don't use the forum but I hope that you can encourage your friends and allies to participate.

However given the length of my list, I may create a few threads, each addressing a category of ideas. For example a thread dedicated to premium features, another for UX/UI changes. I haven't fully decided yet, I've got quite the list going. Each idea thread would also have a thread specifically for written feedback on the ideas in them. I'm hoping over the next few weeks ideas can be refined to make them as detailed and valuable as possible. Where necessary there can also be multiple options to address the same problem.

Ex. Fix Tournament Square Bonus | Option A: Revert to Original Bonus | Option B: Apply extra bonus only after X fields

As always if you have questions, comments etc. you can write here or privately on the forum, Skype or Discord.

Anglosphere Legends on Tour 2019 Representative

Carni wrote:

God I would kill to have like 4 of you on every team I play

The post was edited 1 time, last by BlackBlade ().