[Anglosphere] Shu: The last mystery - Day 1: Losing a friend*

• day1_nenet.png

To His Imperial Majesty,

You probably wonder why I haven't written to you for so long after my last dispatch about the First Craftsman's hideout I found. It's only now that I have courage to tell you about the terrible thing that happened there.

I lost my only companion who was with me during the whole journey!

Nenet is no longer with me.

In contrast, the boy who I found in the hut, silently follows me wherever I go. It looks like he lost his path just as we did, so I don't mind. I didn't want to frighten him with my natural Natar appearance, so I put on my Gaul clothes and tried to look like a Gaul pathfinder. It had the opposite effect. If the boy previously was only scared, he is now absolutely terrified. I bet his first thought was about how many of us are here, disguised as normal people of these lands.

How did I lose Nenet? I examined the volcano in Syracusae and, for the first time during my rather long journey, I felt a connection to that place. It reminded me of the surroundings of our beautiful capital. Nenet was worrying all the way up to the volcano crater – he didn't like the columns of hot air released up there. There was a good reason for that. When we were close to the top, the volcano suddenly ejected cinders, and a huge ash cloud engulfed us. I heard Nenet's anguished cry and saw how he disappeared in the thick cloud, but I couldn't help him. Me and the Gaul boy ran away down the mountain without looking where exactly we were going, in fits of coughing and eyes full of tears. Only once I was at the foot of the mountain, I realized that I could not see Nenet. And worse, I didn't feel his presence around me.

The boy suddenly spoke.

"I know of a region with an oracle nearby." His voice was still trembling: "People go there when they're looking for the answers to difficult questions. We can ask the Oracle where your friend has gone. Let's go there. I know the way."

Since I had no better options, I followed him.

Task:

How long would it take for the heroes to travel from the volcano in Syracusae (21|−84) to the region of Delphi (67|−80) at double speed? They are traveling without a tournament square and are disguised as pathfinders.

You participate by replying to this post.

You have 24 hours to answer from publication of this post.

Don't forget to state your nickname and server played in the answer.

All answers will be invisible until we decide to approve them.

Travel time calculator: Kirilloid

General contest information:

Start date/time: March 18, 2019
    UK: 09:00 am (GMT)
    US: 05:00 am (GMT-4)
    AU: 08:00 pm (GMT+11)
    End date/time: March 21, 2019
    UK: 09:00 am (GMT)
    US: 05:00 am (GMT-4)
    AU: 08:00 pm (GMT+11)
    Time to participate: 24 hours for each day
    Final winners announced on: March 21, 2019
    Winners chosen: Daily tasks: We will pick 5 random winners every day from among all the correct answers

End winners: We will pick 3 random winners from among all players who gave the correct answer in at least 2 days tasks.
    Day 1: 50 gold x 5 winners
    Day 2: 50 gold x 5 winners
    Day 3: 50 gold x 5 winners
    End winners: 100 gold x 3 winners
    Gold voucher valid only in: Anglosphere/UK/US communities
    Gold voucher valid until: December 31, 2020
    To be eligible to win, you need to: State your nickname and server played when giving the answer to the riddle
  • 1:21:29

∞ Malo Mori Quam Foedari ∞

"What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books." --Sigmund Freud

• Sad news hearing Nenet is gone.

Using Pythagoras, the distance between the volcano and the region of Delphi is 46.17. A pathfinder's pace is 17, but as they are going twice as fast this is now 34 squares per hour. Time is distance divided by speed which is 46.17/34 = 1.3580 hours. This converted into hours is one hour, 21 minuets and 30 seconds.

EuclidianT - Anglosphere 8

• Nickname: Cuddles

Server: Anglosphere 8 (I wish to also play the Anglosphere ptp x2 that comes out Tuesday 19th. If I do win any chance I could have it credited to that instead? No biggie if not!)

Answer: 1:21:29

Extra notes

Pathfinders travel at 17 Fields per hour. That calculates to 2:42:58. Divide the answer by 2 = 1:21:29

• For the distance we have:

distance = RootSq2 ((x1 - x2) * (x1 - x2) + (y1 - y2) * (y1 - y2))=

distance = Rootsq2((67-21) * (67-21) + (-84 - (-80)) * (-84 - (-80)))=

distance = Rootsq2(46*46 + 4*4)= Rootsq2(2132) = 46.1735 squares

Pathfinder's speed = 17 sq/hour

Total time (hours) = distance/speed = 46.1735 / 17 = 2.7160 hours = 2 hours 42 minutes 57 seconds 935 milliseconds

server: https://ts8.anglosphere.travian.com

nickname: phewcyber