Suggestions to increase the amounts of players and the general satisfaction of the game

• Hello,

First off this message was primarily sent to support staff which told me to post this here, so forgive my phrasing as this is message is focused towards Travian development team.

I'm writing in response to issues that are widely known and made public in COM1. I shall not resort into any types of insults, my suggestions are based of research on other games.

Introduction:

To start off i wanted to open this ticket as your support staff has stated clearly that the game is fair. The definition of fairness is blurry by itself due to your rules and the way the game works. I'll be talking mostly about the randomness which is a rather important thing in this game as the map generation, artifact spawns, village spawns, adventure rewards are based on that. Most of what i say is based on numerous years of research done by Adam Millard, you can find most of his results on youtube and more.

I don't have the complete data how random or not are the spawns of artifacts or map generation so please take some things that i say with a grain of salt, but i shall not a few things that could and would improve the game experience and attract more people. Hidden game mechanics or "cheating" in a good sense. The way i and a fair amount of other users see it the current complete randomness is fair but frustrating.

Adventures:

Adventures would become way more balanced if there were hidden. Right now i assume there are fixed chances on what reward you get. Instead of that i'd suggest to increase chance of rare drops like items or horses each time you get silver or resources. While current mechanic implemented is fair it also might create unbalanced scenarios in which one majority gets awesome items and another majority completely nothing. By introducing flexible drop rates you could secretly increase the chances of better drops which would.
    Why do that?
    - More enjoyment of players, so players will tend to play for longer/spend more money.
    - More expensive items in auction so more people converting gold to get those items. More profit for you.

Map generation:

Certain restrictions could be put on a generated world so that each quad would get more or less equal amounts of 150% 15-croppers. I don't expect to generate a completely equal map, that would be boring, but putting a restriction to make the difference between the amount of these kinds of 15-croppers between different quads to be 5 or so. Since you don't start thousands of servers each day maps could even be reviewed by people. Simple statistics would show the amount of oases, croppers and other stats and if imbalance doesn't pass a certain threshold the map can be used online.

Why would you need to implement such a thing?
    - More balanced quad fights.
    - Less chance of multiple quads fighting one quad which makes the game one dimensional and causes a fair share of users to leave the game.
    - More players stay to play for longer in a balanced match up, more profit for you.

Artifacts:

I am quite sure that artifact spawns are not completely random but i'd also like to point out that moderated and balanced spawns would help to make every server even more fun and competitive. Adding to this i'd like to touch on an issue seen in current COM1 where new accounts (techs or not) were created solely to get artifacts and keep them safely under BP. While this is not illegal this is abuse of rules. I know what you are going to say, that this is fair and doesn't break the rules, well, you are in charge of those rules and this is unintended abuse of game mechanics which should be patched out. In other games unintended game mechanics are treated seriously. They severely damage the amount of fun players have, the issues become personal and toxic. I'm sure you know this just by reading COM1 forums. The way it is now, this exploit encourages cheating on a larger scale than ever before, buying techs or creating them yourself. I'm afraid without treating this issue with the proper respect it deserves might lead to a complete downfall of this game. Look at examples of other game developers who mistreat their users. Currently the only reason the people are not deleting is because of how invested they are into the game, but everyone is losing respect towards you. You should treat this seriously as this will impact your game severely.

Why you should fix this?
    - Players do not delete and thus spend more money on this game = more profit for you.
    - Players respect Travian Games staff and developers, refrain from cheating and exploiting as they will know that is not tolerated. And by that game becomes that much better and new players are not pushed away by the toxic environment.

Conclusion:

All of the things i noted are not only for the benefit of the players but also for the benefit of the developers which would ultimately lead to higher revenue. What players expect from you is to treat them fairly. What you call fair is going by the rules, but the rules and mechanics are not fair, in fact they can be extremely imbalanced. Thing is, we do not expect you to act fair, we expect you to act responsibly and respectfully and right now majority of players in COM1 feel cheated. Sadly COM1 will stay the way it is and no roll back or anything can save it, but i do hope you take into account everything i said for future server as i honestly do want your company and this game to grow. I cannot overstate how important are all of the things i touched on.

By ignoring my points i'm afraid the awesome communities this game created might disperse and leave. Your game would not be as profitable and you'd have to implement more ways to make money, which will backfire as it does to ALL of the games that are anti-consumer friendly these days. The companies that are already facing this problem are already laying off employees massively and losing stocks fast.

Attached files:

I'm not just all words, i'm attaching images of EA, Ubisoft, Blizzard stocks. All of which have fallen after major contraversies with anti-consumer friendly decisions. So i advise caution as i don't want this to happen to you.

Thank you for reading through and here's to a brighter future of travian!

- Hex

• Travian is the same :D

• Totally agree. Wake up, Travian's staff.

- Servidores actuales:

• Hispano 1: Jet Li iULG (ii Core Company ULG)

- Servidores acabados (pre T4):

• Server1: ViajeroS --CdR-- GANADO
    • Speed1: Leiden WarDogS GANADO
    • Speed2: [Viajeros] ~4CCMX~ GANADO
    • Speed3: Viajeros BUGS GANADO
    • Speed10: Imposible LADP PERDIDO
  • I am quite sure that artifact spawns are not completely random but i'd also like to point out that moderated and balanced spawns would help to make every server even more fun and competitive.

Very far from random. There's a reason why good teams settle and fight to keep cata villages at very specific coordinates.

Adding to this i'd like to touch on an issue seen in current COM1 where new accounts (techs or not) were created solely to get artifacts and keep them safely under BP. While this is not illegal this is abuse of rules.

Ye, accounts in BP taking artefacts, or launching catas on them is absolute BS. Either TG should close registration before artefact drop, or if they do not want that, disallow accounts in BP from launching on arties.

• I like resources more than items! Especially in early game.

I think if chance of getting rare item increases then everybody have their own items and no need auction any more.

• I like resources more than items! Especially in early game.

I think if chance of getting rare item increases then everybody have their own items and no need auction any more.

That is a good concern.

What i suggest is to slightly increase the chance each time. There are so many items that you can't get all of them easily. Auction would still be important as you will not be able to rely on you adventures.

All these changes would do is eliminate complete imbalance that sometimes happens. For example if you get tablets of law a few times in a row next adventure it would be unlikely you get it and instead get something else. People will still be buying items to get an edge on others.

• Thing is, we do not expect you to act fair, we expect you to act responsibly and respectfully and right now majority of players in COM1 feel cheated. Sadly COM1 will stay the way it is and no roll back or anything can save it

Interesting topic, but please refrain from bringing COM1 into the topic, from the way you are talking you either:
    1) dont play COM1, so have no clue about what you are saying.
    2) You are delusional, why would there be a roll back now? There was a bug, TG fixed it. For once they intervened and took the correct decision. If TG didn't take action, then it would have been unfair.

This isn't COM1 thread, therefore there is no need to dig into this topic, but TG themselves will take you more seriously if you talk in a sensible way. No need to say people feel cheated when TG is treating EVERYONE fairly for once.

• To make the game better and more fun: Think of something to prevent the entire server from confedding up in week 1. Introduce incentives for (close-range) war.

• You would have to be smoking some strong stuffs to be bringing what happened in s1 here and using it as an example for whats wrong with TG when clearly for once TG did whats right.

• 2) You are delusional, why would there be a roll back now? There was a bug, TG fixed it. For once they intervened and took the correct decision. If TG didn't take action, then it would have been unfair.

This isn't COM1 thread, therefore there is no need to dig into this topic, but TG themselves will take you more seriously if you talk in a sensible way. No need to say people feel cheated when TG is treating EVERYONE fairly for once.

Which is my point, no roll back would be required and it's not about the bug :) It's about the game mechanics. As stated in the beginning this was ment for travian support which is why my phrasing is somewhat different.
    If you feel i offended you by mentioning COM1 i'm very sorry, i am playing (with my dual on another user) on COM1. My insights come largely but not exclusively from that server.

To make the game better and more fun: Think of something to prevent the entire server from confedding up in week 1. Introduce incentives for (close-range) war.

I believe my suggestion to deal with the situation about accounts getting artifacts protected under bp would help out in this regard. As in all servers if there is one alliance that gets way too many artifacts in the very beginning then everyone else goes against them, which is a natural response i believe.

You would have to be smoking some strong stuffs to be bringing what happened in s1 here and using it as an example for whats wrong with TG when clearly for once TG did whats right.

Not gonna argue, TG did treat that situation fairly, i'm not talking about that, but instead the general state of the game. But i bring up COM1 as i play in it (user: TheWhiteHex) and make examples of the things that happened as they are most recent, i don't know why people think i'm trying to attack them by using these examples.

Sorry i had to use COM1 as an example but to make points one has to use examples, using empty words wouldn't achieve anything, would it?
    Please: This thread is ment to comment and improve upon the game, discussion about com1 can stay in other threads :)

PS.: I'd love this to be the last time i have to discuss events in that server, they are never pleasant.

• Interesting topic, but please refrain from bringing COM1 into the topic, from the way you are talking you either:
    1) dont play COM1, so have no clue about what you are saying.
    2) You are delusional, why would there be a roll back now? There was a bug, TG fixed it. For once they intervened and took the correct decision. If TG didn't take action, then it would have been unfair.

You would have to be smoking some strong stuffs to be bringing what happened in s1 here and using it as an example for whats wrong with TG when clearly for once TG did whats right.

Shadnoob <3 he's talking about your accounts under BP snatching artefacts. Not anything else.

• Personally I don’t understand why Travian didn’t go big on Prizes. (especially on the Tournament server) Say prizes like 10.000 dollar for top pop etc. and maybe 50.000 dollar for the winning WW builder.

Normal servers return 10% of the earnings to players in real money prizes. Say #1 population/atackers on a 5000 player server gets maybe like a thousand dollars and the runners up 500.

Oud lid van: MAGNOX, IJsberen, BvB, Valkyrion

Post was edited 1 time, last by Heintje_NL ().

• Personally I don’t understand why Travian didn’t go big on Prizes. (especially on the Tournament server) Say prizes like 10.000 dollar for top pop etc.

I supose you never played tournament?
    Top10 pop on finals is almost only gauls with 100% traps and cheifing villages from multis.
    Top10 off is almost only people who live at 350/350 and kill their multis scouts for off points and that juicy medal + iphone, you can just imagine how your solution would change this for the worse.
    Top10 def is pretty much the same as off, maybe 1-2 real deffers but the amount of fake points players there already is insane.

TT final 2015 - Das Båt (SE)
    TT Qualify RU 2016 - Das Båt (Cerber-DD)
    TT final 2016 - illicit Ping, Pong & PangPang (Def&Dest)
    TT Qualify RU 2017 - Chip&Dale #1 off (CerbeR)
    TT Final 2017 - Chip&Dale (CerbeR)
    TT Qualify RU 2018 - ChipDale #1 pop (CerbeR)
    TT Final 2018 - Chip&Dale (WW BP release) (CerbeR-I)
    SE3 2017 - Krokodil
    Se1 2017-2018 Garbage Bag #1 Def (SKRÄP)
    S6 Anglosphere - Mimer (Bifrost)
    Active -
    TT Qualify RU 2019 - Chip&Dale (PoweR)
    Nordics 4 - Morgoth (Midgård)

• Sorry i had to use COM1 as an example but to make points one has to use examples, using empty words wouldn't achieve anything, would it?
    Please: This thread is ment to comment and improve upon the game, discussion about com1 can stay in other threads

PS.: I'd love this to be the last time i have to discuss events in that server, they are never pleasant.

well you cited com1 everywhere seems a bit hypocritical asking to keep it out.

Wonder if it is a serious thread or just a rant in the wrong section.

let's consider it serious

Map generation:

Certain restrictions could be put on a generated world so that each quad would get more or less equal amounts of 150% 15-croppers

I never really checked the 150s distibution among the quads, but yes they should be distribuited equally. Btw if you give a look at Legendontour2019 you'll find some interesting stuff relating to croppers.

Adventures

Who does not agree in having more juicy reward.

I am quite sure that artifact spawns are not completely random but i'd also like to point out that moderated and balanced spawns would help to make every server even more fun and competitive. Adding to this i'd like to touch on an issue seen in current COM1 where new accounts (techs or not) were created solely to get artifacts and keep them safely under BP. While this is not illegal this is abuse of rules. I know what you are going to say, that this is fair and doesn't break the rules, well, you are in charge of those rules and this is unintended abuse of game mechanics which should be patched out. In other games unintended game mechanics are treated seriously. They severely damage the amount of fun players have, the issues become personal and toxic. I'm sure you know this just by reading COM1 forums. The way it is now, this exploit encourages cheating on a larger scale than ever before, buying techs or creating them yourself. I'm afraid without treating this issue with the proper respect it deserves might lead to a complete downfall of this game. Look at examples of other game developers who mistreat their users. Currently the only reason the people are not deleting is because of how invested they are into the game, but everyone is losing respect towards you. You should treat this seriously as this will impact your game severely.

Knowing how the game works helps in capturing as much arties as possible at their spawn.

If you search this forum a bit you'll find lots of topic relating to artefact spawning. People who collected years after years coordinate and do map, analyze those maps and so on. It seems arties spawn on circular bases, uniques in the central area (I saw radius varying from 45 up to 65 tiles), so you dont exactly know where they spawn but you can try to do some predictions.

To avoid the use of BP in sending catas to natar... I can see a couple of solution: preventing sending normal attack in BP (only raid on natar) or closing registration.

But... Who decide what is using or abusing a game mechanich?

To make the game better and more fun: Think of something to prevent the entire server from confedding up in week 1. Introduce incentives for (close-range) war.

I think the confederation system that will be implemented for new servers will help. Looking forward to see it on WW server

Pleased to meet you
    Hope you guess my name
    But what's puzzling you
    Is the nature of my game

(Symphaty for the Devil, Rolling Stones, ages ago)

fnx wrote:

I have to admit last year Villains played cleaner than us

Post was edited 2 times, last by cris@ ().

• I supose you never played tournament?
    Top10 pop on finals is almost only gauls with 100% traps and cheifing villages from multis.
    Top10 off is almost only people who live at 350/350 and kill their multis scouts for off points and that juicy medal + iphone, you can just imagine how your solution would change this for the worse.
    Top10 def is pretty much the same as off, maybe 1-2 real deffers but the amount of fake points players there already is insane.

Not seriously no. Ive climbed to #1 population on a 2000 population server as a roman for a while though. That was a tremendous thrill! I just missed a serious prize.

Seems like the finals are unfair like that. But what do you think of my premise; better prizes? I mean look at the Fortnite WC with their prizes in the millions...

Oud lid van: MAGNOX, IJsberen, BvB, Valkyrion

• Not seriously no. Ive climbed to #1 population on a 2000 population server as a roman for a while though. That was a tremendous thrill! I just missed a serious prize.

Seems like the finals are unfair like that. But what do you think of my premise; better prizes? I mean look at the Fortnite WC with their prizes in the millions...

They are problably too poor nowadays. :P

• There is such heat in people all over the forum, complaining over BP catas, spiking, top robbers raiding techs, other teams recruiting too many people etc. Wish I saw the same heat over spying and planting spies in other teams.

I have witnessed next neighbour on a server gather the local team around him, become their leader, have them push his hammer with reso etc. Have the team defend him only, while attacks rained over the defenders and didn´t touch him. Drag his team around various teams. Jumping around for artifact power. All the time that one account was a plant from the biggest team on server. That account used people, dragged them through a game that left their nerves raw and then betrayed everyone. Ended in a lot of tears and mass deletion of the team.

Given how many people tell stories like this. Can we have spying and planting illegal in travian? That if we gather enough proof, those accounts will be deleted. Along with their techs. Some punishment for those planning deed too. Deletion of those planning and everyone they sit? as ownership of accounts can be a bit risky, with people pretending to be more than one person the same server etc. Not kidding, that happens too.

If it isn´t obvious, I would like to point out to the travian team, people don´t only quit travian over spies in their own team, people also quit travian after witnessing their own "friends" run other teams over.

"Why do I feel like a pre-kindergarten classroom is better behaved than this thread? Is it because it is?" playingwithfire 03.08. '19

Post was edited 1 time, last by Agrona ().

• Knowing how the game works helps in capturing as much arties as possible at their spawn.

If you search this forum a bit you'll find lots of topic relating to artefact spawning. People who collected years after years coordinate and do map, analyze those maps and so on. It seems arties spawn on circular bases, uniques in the central area (I saw radius varying from 45 up to 65 tiles), so you dont exactly know where they spawn but you can try to do some predictions.

To avoid the use of BP in sending catas to natar... I can see a couple of solution: preventing sending normal attack in BP (only raid on natar) or closing registration.

That's some good insight, thank you! perhaps there isn't much problem with artifacts after all. But ir proves my point, it's not completely random and thus it's balanced. Could be same with other aspects of the game.

There is such heat in people all over the forum, complaining over BP catas, spiking, top robbers raiding techs, other teams recruiting too many people etc. Wish I saw the same heat over spying and planting spies in other teams.

Replying to your whole post but trimming for space. I always thought that preventing planting and spies is so difficult to spot that there's basically no reason to even try to avoid it. I think spies are part of the game politics which i love, but on a more serious note when other players outright use others and thus ruin their whole server, waste others gold is wrong. That's simply lack of respect towards travian community, while i travian should d osomething about it i can hardly think of anything that would help apart from gathering any real evidence.

Spies - Fine
    Planters who abuse other peoples gameplay, waste money and time - bad