A good number of active players?

• Howdy, and happy Friday!

Inspired by this thread: Discussion about Gathering for one server!

What is a good number of active players per server?

Any difference between normal and speed? How about annual specials?

How has the map size changed things (from 801x801 to 401x401)?

What has been the lowest and highest number of player on a map you played?

How does a low or high number of players affect your strategy?

Is there a "limit" when you start to feel like nah, there's not enough fighting? Or there's no chance against the high number of enemies?

Join the discussion :crocodile:

• On normal servers, I think it is possible to have a decent round with just two equally strong alliances. Someone might consider it boring having to fight the same enemies for the whole server but if the action is not one-sided only, there is potential for a good game. Such scenario rarely happens though as players tend to quit mid-round or their activity status might change, which breaks the equilibrium between alliances. Having a few extra decent alliances with decent players can make the round more exciting but only if the alliance leaders aim for keeping the game interesting. Quality over quantity.

The change in map size was great for a community this small. However, I find adding the changes in tournament square quite quickly after downsizing the map a bit controversial - but haven't played a round with both changes active yet so my opinion can change. On top of that, I think the cropper percentages should have been slightly reworked as halving the map naturally removed half of the best croppers. Of course, getting a good cropper should remain a competitive achievement, but I don't think adding some good croppers on each map quadrant would do harm to anyone; I believe it would be the opposite as having a good capital probably increases players' motivation. Then again, the current auction mechanism and gladiator helmets ensure the player does not have to take the days before settling as competitively, as other players can be outplayed with money.

You know what's worse than useless? Useless and oblivious.

• The change in map size was great for a community this small. However, I find adding the changes in tournament square quite quickly after downsizing the map a bit controversial - but haven't played a round with both changes active yet so my opinion can change. On top of that, I think the cropper percentages should have been slightly reworked as halving the map naturally removed half of the best croppers. Of course, getting a good cropper should remain a competitive achievement, but I don't think adding some good croppers on each map quadrant would do harm to anyone; I believe it would be the opposite as having a good capital probably increases players' motivation. Then again, the current auction mechanism and gladiator helmets ensure the player does not have to take the days before settling as competitively, as other players can be outplayed with money.

They've rebalanced the croppers - there are more good ones now.