Reasons not to play Travian!

📝Farewell to Forums📝

The forum is currently in read-only mode that will last till July 07th, 2021.

You will find news and all relevant information about the game in our Travian: Legends blog.
For live conversations and interaction with the community join us in official Travian: Legends Discord server.
  • Finals was ruined? I agree, there's no doubt they spoiled a server back once.

They ruined com1? I don't think so, no server has been really damaged by this rollback.

Anyway you're free to stop playing, even if i think there are way more important reasons to stop playing travian (like the more and more multiaccounts and the stronger pay4win system) than this one.

Have you even bothered to read the opening post of this thread?

And as far as com1 goes, go to that section or check with any player from that server if you are interested to hear what they think. No matter which side they play.

"...If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..."

~That's a fine looking high horse~

• Have you even bothered to read the opening post of this thread?

And as far as com1 goes, go to that section or check with any player from that server if you are interested to hear what they think. No matter which side they play.

I don't really care about what they think, but about what it happened.

Was there any offensive operation going?

• Actually there have been pretty many changes lately, from the confederation system to the bann system to the codex victoria to the different micro dynamics.

It's obvious that if you keep the same codes nothing happens.

I also guess you have 0 knowledge in coding, also because even the best programmers of the world often present bugs (Apple, Microsoft, Google and so on)

Eh? I see that you try to come across as some sort of a code god but you lack the simple understanding of how game development works. If a single line of code makes the whole game completely unplayable for your entire playerbase, it signals that you failed to establish a stable foundation to start with. Then of course a tiny change could break everything. Big changes you talk about is ridiculous by the way, this is simple game in the gaming world and the changes are basic tweaks. Check all other games where they make massive changes... not only adding new features but completely revamping the essential gameplay mechanics and graphics. Of course they have bigger teams etc. but it is not the point of this discussion.

Furthermore, if you still insist that these are such big changes, there are proper ways to test these things before integrating into the game worlds. To say the least, travian had good intentions with test servers, but was incapable of catching the bugs which ultimately means that they failed with the testing.

It is always entertaining when one tries to portray themselves as “the master” with “I know better than you all” attitude without having any clue who s/he is talking to. I am not a developer but I have an engineering degree with coding experience. But more importantly I play variety of games and have been doing so for many years. Therefore, I do have a deep knowledge from the customer side on how the bugs are created, their impact on a gameplay, how companies approach and solve these bugs as well as how they compensate their loyal customers.

I don't really care about what they think, but about what it happened.

if you didn’t really care or read how it impacted player satisfaction from the end game, I suggest you to refrain from forming strong opinions about this matter.

Noel, 8:13 PM

She breaks my heart, I break their armies

• 1. No, i don't believe Travian needs to be "shutdown."

2. Stuff happens.

3. Coding is precarious work. The game is on unstable foundation because a) original coders didn't fully document b) it gets outdated c) we players demand changes despite a and b.

4. If you lost money, feel free to sue, but better have evidence you even lost anything of monetary value.

5. Game companies are shuttering doors everyday, yet TG remains after 15 years. Must be doing something right, but doesn't mean they need to be the best at it.

6. COM1 was decided long ago. Not sure why anyone would care so much. The op that preceded the bug wasn't gamechanging, just playing for pride at this point. People talking about hitting own WW, killing own troops, denying points for enemy out of spite and just basically rolling over? -- Ruining endgame? Please.

..And that is the Final Word.

• Here they've come, the Travian "paid" "users", defending this falling game..

You guys, grab a cup of tea, and just keep playing.

Save us from your vicious comments.

Cheers 😉

• Here they've come, the Travian "paid" "users", defending this falling game..

You guys, grab a cup of tea, and just keep playing.

Save us from your vicious comments.

Cheers 😉

Go find another game?

..And that is the Final Word.

• And that is the final word

Former Anglosphere Ambassador 2019-2020

• Are you sure Obi-Wan there were not many changes in the code in, lets say, last year?

What is many, Ele? It should be used to compare with something. All games make changes and not only on some tweaking feature like limiting confederacy system or raiding limit but a major overhaul from from graphics to objectives. And they do that upon the release in early access/beta/alpha stages so that it doesnt have a big impact on paying customer (or full price paying customers). They also do accept and announce that the game is unstable which is why the price tag is lower (or free) too.

I know that it is unfair to compare bigger companies to TG. But let's not digress from the subject - the game that is been around for 15 years can be completely broken down to an extent that every single mechanic collapses by these changes. I don't understand how you do not find this problematic because of some wishy-washy hypothetical excuse like "Single line of code can break everything down".

Did travian have some changes? yes, as it should. Would the changes completely break the game is coding/testing was done properly? No. The evidence is any other game that is around for more than 15 years.

5. Game companies are shuttering doors everyday, yet TG remains after 15 years. Must be doing something right, but doesn't mean they need to be the best at it.

I agree with most of your points but not this one and the next one. This is more of a self-deprecating argument. A game that is in this business for 15 years should not be breaking down to this extent, no matter what the excuse is (old coders didn't document or what-not). Moreover, let's face it - this type of browser game genre is very addictive and most people have love-hate relationship with travian, they just cannot quit playing the game. So it doesn't necessarily mean that TG has been doing a great job so that the playerbase is loyal.

6. COM1 was decided long ago. Not sure why anyone would care so much. The op that preceded the bug wasn't gamechanging, just playing for pride at this point. People talking about hitting own WW, killing own troops, denying points for enemy out of spite and just basically rolling over? -- Ruining endgame? Please.

It is not about who wins or who loses. The server was decided even before it started, looking at how stronger one got, and how weaker the other one got. You are missing the point. This bug overshadows the win and loss, one that all these players worked tirelessly for months. When it becomes clear that it will be an anti-climactic, awkward end because of these bugs, of course it is disappointing and frustrating.

• I don't really care about what they think, but about what it happened.

It's not about this last op. There were bugs all over. Both sides compalained. You keep trying to present this as a sore loser thing. The fact is that there were so many errors that the game was unplayable. And this is not my first server. There was something seriously wrong there. If everything was the way it was supposed to be, I personally would be the first to congratulate to the better team. I actually believe in respecting your enemy. But stick to your story. The game I know and wanted to play again after almost 10 years of absence no longer exists. I will do what I think is best for me. Don't need your guidance. And forum is open to complaints too. Not only blind worshiping. Just don't wine about empty and dead servers. Imagine those numbers if there weren't so many multies.

Post was edited 1 time, last by Ticker ().

• 1. No, i don't believe Travian needs to be "shutdown."

People talking about hitting own WW, killing own troops, denying points for enemy out of spite and just basically rolling over? -- Ruining endgame? Please.

1. I don't believe either. I would prefer if they did something to improve instead of keep ruining this game. And patting on the back and finding excuses for them will hardly make them take some serious steps. I'd be happy to play again if they can guarantee a stable game environment.

Ruining? Really? We gathered all the reports that we could and posted them (first) on the forum. Reports show what happened and who deserved to win after everything. We congratulated the winner (and still got mocked by some of their players). The fact that I'm not a trained monkey and don't play for TG amusement makes me a lousy player? Ok, I'm the worst there is then.

• Obi-Wan you missed my point. Changes in the code don’t mean changes you see in game. We all know the code is old and needs to be rewritten. Have it ever crossed your mind that they may be doing just that?

I said nothing about single line.

• Not gonna lie ELE is like vocal minority who sees this game as with no issues...

Programming isn't flawless, but that's why there should be internal testing, not just push the update with no effort to check it. Wanna hear a joke? They pushed video about themselves "TESTING UPDATES" when everyone basicly screwed them over that they aren't aware what they are doing. Guess what? They are still unaware what's going on, it's not a rocket science to stress test most of the stuff before launching update live. Main issue is that they are pushing it to "update the game" when updates themselves have freaking no sense.... QoL updates that could be implemented ages ago, got implemented not that long time ago f.e. market routes deleting...

Even casual players can do better with Tempermonkey scripts, guess why Travian doesn't like them, not because they do cheat, because they do way better work compared to what Travian does, best example "Travian Resource Bar".

Post was edited 1 time, last by Sove: accusations ().

• We all know the code is old and needs to be rewritten. Have it ever crossed your mind that they may be doing just that?

Of course not! Why would I make such an assumption unless TG releases a detailed statement about it? It is completely up to TG if the code wasn't documented or wasn't rewritten in 15 years. It could be due to a million different things, but the bottom line is that it was a shit show and all the players feel disappointed and cheated. Ignoring these complaints by bringing tangential excuses will not help. Neither TG nor we all should do that. Instead, TG should listen to their loyal players, own the responsibility 100%, provide sensible compensation for everyone, explain how this happened and what they will do to prevent it from happening again.

Post was edited 1 time, last by Obi-Wan ().

• Obi-Wan

You did other assumptions without information though. And don’t get me wrong - I don’t know what they are doing or I would not be talking about it given no official statement. This assumption is as good as yours though.

What shitshow? Crash happened, we don’t know what exactly and why. I see nothing that can be named as shitshow after. Servers were brought down rather quick and restored in reasonable time frame given the magnitude. Announcements were made, not without a flow, but again reasonable given the magnitude. Majority of the servers recovered smoothly, I have not heard anything significant in our alliance except in-game events that ended up with different outcome. We lost a small hammer but even that was taken without whining and I am grateful that no one created drama. I am surprised with the speed customer service was resolving issues yesterday ( not sure about today, hope they skipped the weekend). So where exactly is shitshow?

I guess you are referring to com1 rollback despite of players being against it. Probably bad decision. I did not follow the timeline, but I suspect that by the time complains made it to the forum the server was down already and I don’t know if it is even possible to change the decision after that.

Post was edited 1 time, last by ELE ().

• Obi-Wan

You did other assumptions without information though. And don’t get me wrong - I don’t know what they are doing or I would not be talking about it given no official statement. This assumption is as good as yours though.

Can you point out the assumption I made that you think is not fair? Having "no official statement" is a good enough base for me to criticize TG. The discussion started after I claimed that there has to be something wrong with the construction of the codes since the gameplay was broken. You also agreed that the codes are old and needs to be rewritten. So, I don't understand what you are trying to arguing for.

What shitshow? Crash happened, we don’t know what exactly and why. I see nothing that can be named as shitshow after. Servers were brought down rather quick and restored in reasonable time frame given the magnitude. Announcements were made, not without a flow, but again reasonable given the magnitude. Majority of the servers recovered smoothly, I have not heard anything significant in our alliance except in-game events that ended up with different outcome. We lost a small hammer but even that was taken without whining and I am grateful that no one created drama. I am surprised with the speed customer service was resolving issues yesterday ( not sure about today, hope they skipped the weekend). So where exactly is shitshow?

Are you serious with this? Just take an example of com1. Do you realize how many game breaking bugs have happened in last 1-2 months only on com1? Are you all oblivious to all these angry complaints, all those threads created, the kind of discussions happening on Skype, players quitting left and right, alliances basically sending out MM's to stop buying gold from TG and stop playing the game? I wont even bother explaining you the problems with rollback and why it ruins everything. Just because it was a solution and implemented in a few days, I won't give a pat on TG's back and say bravo! It is their mistake and this was the very least they could do. The speed of the customer server is just a proxy for how big of a fuck up this was.

Just because it didn't have a big impact on your personal gameplay, it doesn't mean that this was not a big deal on the rest of the community. I guess you are instinctively defending TG but I am still surprised that you take this very lightly, where people I assume you consider friends are writing essays on Skype and Discord.