Is it Worth it to play Gauls?

• Hi, I am a returning player and as the title says, should I even bother playing gauls in a server with egyptians? (Not a gold user)

I never tried Egyptians yet, but from what I can see, its more suited to gold users .

But then I love having a raiding unit like TT and I usually settle quite far away and raid with them.

If you say egyptians, then do raid with kohpesh? or the anhur for their speed?

• Egyptian raiding is horrible. Anhurs is the only real option, but they're not good.

If you want to play defense, there's no reason to make khopesh - they're not worth it even for raiding (not like TTs that are okay to make for anvil players too, because they can pay for themselves and even bring in a profit). If you want to play offense... Why? Romans are low-gold, teutons give so much more power, huns give better raiding...

I'd say that indeed, Egyptian are better suited for a higher gold usage. If you don't utilize their waterworks, which especially helps with the capital (i.e. crop, meaning you need to NPC that crop), you don't get much benefit from them.

Gauls are definitely still viable for a low/non-gold account.

• Not really that dedicated of a player to play an offensive account tbh.. prefer play defensive with some TTs for raiding. anyways, thanks for the response, guess will just go with gauls. :)

• If you play defensive, egypts are just better. Gauls are viable ghosters in 5 tribe servers tho. So if you want to have fun with TTs and still be flexible to go defensive later on pick gauls. Gold usage is not Higher with egyptians in my opinion since it depends on your Capital Village Type. Waterworks alone will outperform a lot of Raiders.

Problem with Gauls ist they are "Jack of all traits, master of none" in 5 Tribe Servers. That means you can make almost everything work with them but every other Tribe will outshine you in their respective niche.

In my opinion pick egyptians and just take a 9c or 7c If you play without gold.

W6 2020 - Lockdown - Havoc Squad™ - TtP

W1 2019 - Hive - Havoc Squad™ - PROJECT

W29 2018 - SCV - Havoc Squad™ - DEAR (Sieg)

• some people seem to forget that a 9C 150% cropper with waterworks makes more crop than a 15C 100%. That is a huge plus for people playing low gold. Biggest weaknesses IMO with Egyptians are lack of cavalry defense and raiding units.

Gauls are obsolete with the introduction of new tribes, except if you want to anvil and also make a ghost.

Egytians have better economy, Ash Wardens are fine and Anhur Guards are almost as good as Druids.

You can say nothing beats the spamminess of Phalanx, but Slave Militia build even faster and Egytians don't have crop issues.

Huns have far better cavalry that Gauls, A steppe costs 875 res and has 120 attack points, while a TT costs 1090 for 90 attack points.

In Legends they are the best defensive tribe, for sure.

.pt4: Maximus :teu01:/.fr3: Medianus :rom02:/.fr6: Minimus :rom03:/.ptp: Medianus:egy02:/.as7: Minimus :gau02:/.2019 Qualify Group A: Azor Ahai :hun01:/.as4: Pissed Pigeons :teu01:/ .2019 Finals: Makhai :egy02:/.ts20xv: Apocalypse :hun01:/.as3: Legion

• You can say nothing beats the spamminess of Phalanx, but Slave Militia build even faster and Egytians don't have crop issues.

Except crop will be an issue if he doesn't spend gold - much slower development, and if he goes for a non-crop as cap. Unless of course it's the 5x speed server. Then I agree, res is never an issue there, no matter what account you have.

But if you don't utilize the waterworks, gauls phalanx and druids are better than ash and anhurs, since gauls give more def/time, which egyptians can only outweight if they have the extra res to produce from more villages - ash are way more expensive def/res. Slave militia only works if you have the res for them, or if you know they will be dying quickly so they won't eat all your crop (given he likes to move it to the boonies, I doubt the turnaround on his slave militia would be great). And if he likes to do some raiding besides, Egyptians are horrible for that.

But, if this is for the 5x, then I agree with above, Egyptians is probably the best choice, except for the raiding.

• Except crop will be an issue if he doesn't spend gold - much slower development, and if he goes for a non-crop as cap.

But that will be an issue regardless of the tribe. With a 15c you always need to npc trade in my opinion. Egyptians will have more income regardless of the scenario (except you don't Take Oasis). The egyptians Defensive Units are on paar with the Gaul ones so why wouldn't you want more income?

A good Player or Team can make Gauls easily work but that doesn't change the fact that they are outperformed in almost every Playstyle.

• But that will be an issue regardless of the tribe. With a 15c you always need to npc trade in my opinion. Egyptians will have more income regardless of the scenario (except you don't Take Oasis). The egyptians Defensive Units are on paar with the Gaul ones so why wouldn't you want more income?

A good Player or Team can make Gauls easily work but that doesn't change the fact that they are outperformed in almost every Playstyle.

Egyptian defense units aren't on par though. Only if you run slave militia. Ash + anhurs is way more expensive, and less def/time. I.e. the increased production either has to go into slave militias eating all his crop (and as said, seems unlikely that they will be used often enough to justify it), or to produce Ashs from more villages, just to be on par with gauls.

I'm not saying Egyptians are bad, but I think guals are perfectly fine for non-golders still, especially if going boonies where slave militia would see limited action. Plus, Egyptians are just awful for raiding, which he specifically mentions.

• Everyone I know goes for Ash + Resheph. Yes they are aweful for raiding but you outperform "a Bit of raiding" with the water works.

I am not saying Gauls are unplayable but egyptians are just better for def.

Maybe I miss something but OP wanted an answer and my answer is drop raiding and Sim with egyptian.

• Okay lets conclude. If he wants to raid go Gauls of not go Egyptians.

• Except crop will be an issue if he doesn't spend gold - much slower development, and if he goes for a non-crop as cap. Unless of course it's the 5x speed server. Then I agree, res is never an issue there, no matter what account you have.

But if you don't utilize the waterworks, gauls phalanx and druids are better than ash and anhurs, since gauls give more def/time, which egyptians can only outweight if they have the extra res to produce from more villages - ash are way more expensive def/res. Slave militia only works if you have the res for them, or if you know they will be dying quickly so they won't eat all your crop (given he likes to move it to the boonies, I doubt the turnaround on his slave militia would be great). And if he likes to do some raiding besides, Egyptians are horrible for that.

But, if this is for the 5x, then I agree with above, Egyptians is probably the best choice, except for the raiding.

If you don't use waterworks, then no point on playing Egyptians. As I posted before, a 9C 150% with waterworks makes more crop than a regular 15C 100%. So, much less need to spend gold in crop NPC. Of course a 15C with waterworks will demand a lot of gold usage, but hey, go for a 9C instead and still outperform a 15C 100%. Don't forget that you can build waterworks in all villages too, which is a great boost to economy. So if you are not raiding, you will have more res available.

I have to agree that Egyptians lack in raiding, you can raid some inactives with Anhur, they have decent speed, but are not a good raiding unit.

.pt4: Maximus :teu01:/.fr3: Medianus :rom02:/.fr6: Minimus :rom03:/.ptp: Medianus:egy02:/.as7: Minimus :gau02:/.2019 Qualify Group A: Azor Ahai :hun01:/.as4: Pissed Pigeons :teu01:/ .2019 Finals: Makhai :egy02:/.ts20xv: Apocalypse :hun01:/.as3: Legion

• anhur > druid for raiding, can not compare with TT as the TT is not defensive unit ;)

I'm worse at what I do best and for this gift I feel blessed . . .

History:

Dirty! (nl1/de1), Violence (nl4), Avoid (nl7), Bazen (nl4), MUG (nl2, nl5, nl4), Cocktail (nl6), Prandur/Camorra (nl2), Vandalen (nl5), Borgia (nl2) and many more not listed.

Valhalla, Carpe Diem (t3 .com classics), CS! 2017 finals (Croatia)

CUP 2018 finals, X3 2019 finals (Russia)

~ The special one... ~

• Lemme just say that why would you build a TT or EI ghost when the Steppe Rider is faster, cheaper and stronger (faster than the EI, stronger than the TT). And if you want to get a little bit crazy try a marauder ghost. 180 attack for a 14 speed which increases to 17 with the Hun hero bonus. If anything the only truly obsolete feature of the Gauls is the TT ghost hammer. As far as defense, yes the phalanx has a lower def/time than both the slave militia and the Hun mercenary but its def/crop consumption makes it viable. In the end the only reason to play Gauls is for the Druids due to their quick response time to def calls.

Unless, of course, you actually play this game to enjoy yourself and you don't really care about OP units etc and you just enjoy playing Gauls. Then you can do whatever the hell you want and have fun playing whichever tribe you want ;).
    After all there are people out there making Egyptian hammers <X.
    And yes I am a Hun Fanboy

us3 2018: :gau01: Mushroom Cl0ud

gr2 2018: :rom03: nuk3
    as7 2019: :teu02: Metal Avenger
    Qualification Group C 2019: :hun05: nuk3
    as4 2019: :teu02: Rylanor

Balkans 4 2020: :rom03: nuk3

"The law speaks too softly to be heard amidst the din of arms." - Gaius Marius

• My reason ist speed without Hero and to have the ability to go defensive later (which is probably only important in ww Servers). Yes Huns or even Romans are better with the 120 Attack but first you have to hit something which ist easier with faster Units.

But i agree gauls should be changed to really have their role, because Egyptians basically took their identity as THE Defensive Tribe.

• 1. If you want a pure defense account but also want to raid, go Egyptian. Your raiding options are Anhur and Ash. You will not win any raiding medals but will have enough returns to make it worth the effort. You will only be able to raid farms that are already dead. You have no chance of creating a new farm from semi actives.

2. If you're a defender with no interest in raiding, then choose Gaul. It's a much simpler tribe. Phalanx is better than Ash in everything except raiding. (Well there's 5 points extra for Ash per crop but meh!). Druid and Anhur are kind of similar. Gaul merchants are good, especially for low gold accounts that are not going for prime croppers near to spawn.

3. If you want a hammer, choose another tribe. If it must be between Gaul and Egyptian then choose Gaul.

• My reason ist speed without Hero and to have the ability to go defensive later (which is probably only important in ww Servers). Yes Huns or even Romans are better with the 120 Attack but first you have to hit something which ist easier with faster Units.

But i agree gauls should be changed to really have their role, because Egyptians basically took their identity as THE Defensive Tribe.

Meh I'll take 16 speed (19 with hero) and 120 att over 19 and 90 att. Also don't forget the Steppe rider only costs 895 resources to the TTs 1090. Personally though I love the marksman due to the high speed, 105 loot and their high defense combined with the 115 attack for 40 resources less than the TT. Like I said TTs are probably the most overpriced and useless unit when it comes to 5 tribe servers ^^

• Lemme just say that why would you build a TT or EI ghost when the Steppe Rider is faster, cheaper and stronger (faster than the EI, stronger than the TT). And if you want to get a little bit crazy try a marauder ghost. 180 attack for a 14 speed which increases to 17 with the Hun hero bonus. If anything the only truly obsolete feature of the Gauls is the TT ghost hammer. As far as defense, yes the phalanx has a lower def/time than both the slave militia and the Hun mercenary but its def/crop consumption makes it viable. In the end the only reason to play Gauls is for the Druids due to their quick response time to def calls.

Unless, of course, you actually play this game to enjoy yourself and you don't really care about OP units etc and you just enjoy playing Gauls. Then you can do whatever the hell you want and have fun playing whichever tribe you want ;).
    After all there are people out there making Egyptian hammers <X.
    And yes I am a Hun Fanboy

You tell them Mush ;)

• 1. For raiding, yes TTs are fastest units for long distance raiding. Egyptian Anhur is good, but speed is Gaul TTs better.

2. For defending, yes Druids are really good for defending with new TS effect. Phalanx also good for standing defense.

3. but. Egyptian capital with waterworks cannot be compared with other tribe. Gaul troops have crop issues. Its better way to start as Egyptian.

Godz | WILD | Ruthless | SGR ... and still Noob. (Seal)

Did you know? Seals are found in most waters of the world, mainly in the Arctic and Antarctica but also in some areas of the tropics.

• You tell them Mush ;)

Huns = best boys

tg_TL-DQ4_970x250_181126.jpg