The Book of Wisdom - Episode 3 - The Theft

• MP-180-TL_Book-of-Wisdom-3_800x400_202003.jpg

The old guard, Quintus Maximus, didn't like his new assignment and was therefore in his usual bad mood. After all those years of loyal service in one of the Praetorian cohorts, he ended up here? In the library? What could possibly ever happen in this forgotten place, frequented only by nearby academy students and other bookworms? The most boring place in the world!

He sat idly reading one of the books taken from the endless shelves and contemplating what pitiless time can do to old soldiers. Yet, it seemed this was where he had to be. He felt betrayed by his friend, the hospital doctor. Last time he looked at the scars Quintus Maximus received in many glorious battles and only sighed, without saying a word. Despite that, he talked directly to his commander. And now, instead of being on his way to the lands of Codex Victoria, Quintus Maximus was sitting here, surrounded by dull librarians.

He desperately missed his fellow guards, who were now heading to those lands to fight for world supremacy. At double speed! This will be the real challenge, and the fact that the regions will be locked back if they are not too populated will again force the commanders to completely rethink all known strategies if they want to keep up with the others. The four-month fight will be intense.

But he was here. Almost alone, with only two young recruits under his command who seem to be pretty happy that they don't have to leave the capital. The youths of today…

The loud sound of a fight made him jump to his feet. Was something happening in the secret library? He called the other guards and they entered the room through one of the closest doors. When they came in, they saw one of the librarians, who was slouched on the floor after apparently being knocked out by the thief. The librarian was pale and frightened.

"Please, help! Catch the thief!" he urged the guards with a weak voice. "I didn't have a chance to do anything, the thief was way stronger than me. He was hiding here and knocked me out, before rushing away with one of the books! I tried to stop him with all my strength, but what could I do? He ran out through that door on the other side of the library."

The guards looked at the door the librarian pointed to and saw the mess the thief had left behind. However, to the librarian's unpleasant surprise, they hesitated to chase the thief. Something was obviously wrong here. The pieces of the puzzle didn't fit together.

"I would rather arrest you," Quintus Maximus finally said. "Since it's now obvious you're in cahoots with the thief. And thank you! At least now I know, this place is not as boring as I previously thought! Something is definitely in the wind here!"

The librarian fainted.

Task: Look at the image and say what was wrong with the librarian's story. Why did the guard suspect he had been involved in the theft?

You answer by replying to this thread. The answers will be invisible until the contest is ended.

Don't forget to state server played and your nickname in the answer.

Detailed information

Start Date / Time:

March 23, 2020

US - 05:00 am GMT-4 server time

UK - 09:00 am GMT+0

AU - 08:00 pm GMT+11

Your local start time

End Date / Time:

March 30, 2020

US - 04:00 am GMT-4 server time

UK – 09:00 am GMT+1

AU - 07:00 pm GMT+11

You local end time

Winners announced on:

March 31, 2020

Winner chosen:

We will pick 6 random winners among all the correct answers

Prize

50 Gold x 6 winners

Gold Voucher valid only in:

Anglosphere community

Gold Voucher valid until:

To be entitled to win you need to:

Write your in-game nickname and server in the same message together with your answer.

• kop2527 Anglosphere 1. There were books lying in front of the door, which opens inwards. No one could leave through that exit and leave the books there. They must have been placed there by the librarian after the thief left

• The thief could not have fled through that door, because the scattered books are up against the door. Since the hinges are visible, the door opens inwards and would have pushed the books aside if the thief had opened it.

Stoneface

Anglosphere 2

• Hey,

The librarian is lying because, if the "theft" had left through that door, there would not be books against the door on the floor. Indeed, if the theft had opened the door, the books would have been pushed back by the door, and would have remained a few steps away from the door. The fact that the books are still here against the door shows that the door was not opened.

Username: Andreboule / Server: Anglosphere 2

• Source Code
    1. books are scattered in front of closed doors
    2. server: ts2.anglosphere
    3. ign: asdfg
  • server: tx3.anglosphere

account: wtvar

answer: there are books in front of door. the thief couldnt leave through the door if the books are there.

• The door opens inwards and the books are still there blocking the door, meaning the signs of a struggle were staged by the Librarian

Anglosphere2

Binkus

• The librarian's story didn't add up because there are books on the floor right at the doorstep, which could not have happened had the thief actually opened and escaped through the door. Quintus Maximus recognized that the scene looks staged and that the librarian was the one who staged it and put the books on the floor and created the mess.

• Because books were piled up against the CLOSED door, meaning that they must have been placed there AFTER the thief had left.

— Advaita, Anglosphere 2

• The door was not opend by the thief as there are books in front and the door can only be opend by pulling. If the thief had used this door the books would have been moved from the door, so there is no thief and the guard inside is the only person responsabile

Player name Koufax95

Servet T4 ita

• Server: Anglosphere 2
    Nickname: iSpankU

The problem with the librarians story is that, if the thief ran through that door displayed in the image, all the books are thrown and scattered right next to it. Now if it wasn't an inside job, the books wouldn't be lying right next to the door on the opening side.

• I think the guards suspect the librarian to have participated in the theft because of the books in front of the door. If the thief had run out that door, the books could not be where they are now.

Nick: Quantum

Server: ts1.anglosphere.travian.com

• Nickname: LaChazzz

Server Played: Anglosphere 2

Answer: If the thief had indeed left through the door, the books lying right next to it would have been moved by the opening of the door. Here though, the books lie right next to the door, which means that the door was not opened after the books fell there. This means that the mess made at the door was done after the door was opened and closed. The thief therefore probably helped the thief, or he might even be the thief himself!

• The door swings into the room and there are items piled in front of the door, preventing it to be opened as an exit.

Pyro-man

ts1.anglosphere.travian.com/

• The door opens inwards and all the books and mess are pushed up against the door. So the mess must have been made after the thief left the room

Nickname: Anglo

Anglosphere Speed Server tx3

• Chef Lol

Server : Angloshpere 2

If the thief run away from that door ,by opening/closing the door is creating a clean space between the books on the floor and the door .

Post was edited 1 time, last by Stellamini: Removed email address ().