Limit abuse of dual accounts

• Part of the Rules says:

§ 1.3 Sharing account passwords is not permitted, except in the case of "dual accounts". "Dual accounts" are accounts played by two or more players. This is permitted as long as none of the players involved either own or play another account on the same game world. If a player wishes to move from one account to another, the ownership of the first account must be transferred and the password changed BEFORE access is granted to the new account.

Now ...

The word "dual" usually implies two but the rule says "two or more" without a limit. As a result, we are now seeing teams of 4, 5, 6, 7 or more people sharing a single account. They play "shifts" so the accounts are active 24 hours a day and are usually highly aggressive.

This represents an unfair advantage to the great majority of players who are single players and do things like sleep, eat etc.

§3 of the rules says it is forbidden to use external programs and scripts or bots. One reason is obvious: it allows users to keep the account "working" when they are off-line.

I would say allowing "teams" of people to run a single account is the equivalent of using scripts/bots in the sense of the effect it has: the account is active in an abnormal way - abnormal for normal, single players.

A limit needs to be put on the number of people who can operate a single account, to keep things fair for everyone. In rule § 1.3 where it says "two or more", the "more" should be quantified.

• I say you a noob who has no friends. Played solo plenty of servers. Never had any issues with account coverage. Just get sitters, that's what alliances are made for.

Biggest Noob of them all

• I have been playing on and off for at least 10 years and you could have answered me politely without silly names.

I am always in an alliance and have a sitter but, and as you should know because you are obviously very popular and have lots of friends: sitters do not have the same authority as someone who has the password. For example, sitters cannot launch attacks with catas or use gold. But multiple players who have the password have full power in an account.

• Correction, sitters can use gold. They can't send attacks and do some other things on acc.

"...If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..."

~That's a fine looking high horse~

• Maybe he didn't use the option. But even if he is a new player with no friends, is this the way to greet and treat? Such a hostile environment.

"...If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools..."

~That's a fine looking high horse~

• It doesn't force all the other players to play alone either. They have the liberty to invite and get other players and share the account.

With that being said...

I believe its a reasonable suggestion. If we get a solution to this.. we could have a bit more level playing field.

My questions to you or anyone would be

1. What no. of players would you call - too many?

2. How would you calculate the total no. of players?

3. What should travian do, in case that limit is breached?

• This represents an unfair advantage to the great majority of players who are single players and do things like sleep, eat etc.

§3 of the rules says it is forbidden to use external programs and scripts or bots. One reason is obvious: it allows users to keep the account "working" when they are off-line.

I would say allowing "teams" of people to run a single account is the equivalent of using scripts/bots in the sense of the effect it has: the account is active in an abnormal way - abnormal for normal, single players.

allowing using script/bots would open a whole new world that makes a new Travian

I used bots and scripts on a limited privet server

It allows you to automatically put an order of constructing buildings - raid farmlist 24/7 - bid auctions - demolish building - sending attacks at specific time - training troops - and move resources to specific village when you are low on something - send hero to adventures - make new farmlists and there is an attack alert which bot sends you notification when you have new incomings

So basically there is no need to log in. maybe just once a week to make some changes into farmlists

built a wwr without any hardwork and every night slept well because I was aware if the attacks come I will have an alert.

So never ghosted , raided 24/7,and trained troops easily

that was not interesting at all. It has been just random numbers without any meaning. I'm not sure that can be named as Travian

So if TG allows scripts /bots.it can be misused.

If you have time to be active 14 15hrs per day; play solo, or get duals .that's not a bad rule at all, Makes new friendship.

You can't make others to stop playing as a team

But you can find new friends and join on an account

• I am sorry about the point about Gold.

I have been a sitter (and am now) but never used gold and always thought it would be not allowed because it is about spending other people's money.

But my other example about launching cata attacks (just as an example) is valid and nobody said it is not.

Also, another point remains valid: a sitter is nothing like someone who has the password. Fact.

There is a difference between having friends, and between having a team that coordinates an account.

Once, maybe 6 years ago, I started playing a game with a dual. The difference between me playing alone and with someone else was enormous! It was not just a question of someone looking after the account when you are not on-line (like a sitter does) but someone coordinating and pursuing a strategy.

Sitters and password holders cannot be compared. At all. Different worlds.

Also, Travian puts very strict rules on what sitters can and cannot do. Why not have rules for unlimited numbers of people sharing a password, and which gives them powers far greater than a sitter ever has?

So, Travian rules tightly restrict what sitters can do, but there is blank cheque for unlimited password holders to run amok? Makes sense? Fair?

Saying that the response is to "get friends" means that Travian will turn into a game that is only viable for groups of people running accounts. The message is: if you are a single player (or even just a couple) then, forget it. You can never compete. The "teams" will dominate the game, and everybody who does not have a team, has zero chance of winning or even close to winning.

Is this the structure and policy of the game?

• I log into the game constantly from 3 different locations: home, office and a summer house. In addition I log via phone from anywhere. If I travel, it is more. Last Feb, for example, in addition to the above, I logged from 3 different countries.

We have several people in alliance who travels for business and can log from Europe, Asia and America during one week.

Add to that people who plays via proxy. The reason proxies are still not forbidden is that there are people who can't play otherwise.

So how you will distinguish these scenarios from dualing and enforce the rule?

• I also log on from different locations and I agree that it is not going to be straight-forward to identify "teams" from the same person logging on from different IP addresses, but that should not prevent us trying, if the principle is accepted.

And the principle is: a "team" coordinating continuous play on a single account is unfair to the great majority of "normal" players, who have no chance of keeping up.

If an account is active 24 hours a day (and not in sitter mode) then that should be a strong clue that more than person is running it, rather than 1 or 2 people logging on from different computers/locations.

• A. Restriction on the total no. of active IP addresses logged in an account.

What if, instead of *punishing* the accounts that have more than 2 players, we get a restriction put in that limits the total no. of active IP addresses in an account.

For example, its really difficult to track if the logged in device. There's no certainity that its more than 2 players.

But, what if.. we restrict the no. of IP addresses logged in at a time in an account?

Travian can limit that.

I don't see why any one particular individual would be logging in from 3 separate devices at the same time. Unless, its more than 1 individual.

The act of limiting no. of online users in an account at the same time could force players to think twice before inviting more than 2-3 players.. since someone will constantly be logged out everytime the limit is hit.

B. 2 step verification for accounts that are continiously logged in

Being logged in 24 hrs a day, too isn't a sure indicator. Someone can simply log-in, and just keep it running it in the background.

For this, they can add a 2 step process.

1. Identify the accounts that see 24 hrs login-activity.

2. Add in mechanism to log them out, say.. every 2-3 hrs and force a captcha (this will be difficult for bots, unless the player manually completes the authentication)

If step A + B are enforced together, they won't stop multi-dualling (3-5 players in an account), but will rather discourage Bots + Teams playing in a single account.

Am not against teams playing a single account.. but Travian would be a more level playing field, if we can have only 1-2 players in an account, rather than let's say.. 5 in one.

:whistling:

• OR

TG could just remove the restrictions on sitters.

Therefore evening the gap between single player accounts, and dual accounts.

The only restriction I would have is the need for the password to delete the account.

• Also, Travian puts very strict rules on what sitters can and cannot do. Why not have rules for unlimited numbers of people sharing a password, and which gives them powers far greater than a sitter ever has?

So, Travian rules tightly restrict what sitters can do, but there is blank cheque for unlimited password holders to run amok? Makes sense? Fair?

Besides this rule not being able to be enforceable as Ele said, there's also the fact that nobody cares how many people are on one account. Me and my dual covered an account 24/7 between two of us and made 890k wwk hammer, and me and 14 other duals didn't cover "an" account 24/7 between the 15 of us (later it became 19 of us). So it's irrelevant how many people play on an account. The coverage depends on how serious an account is, how bold the plans are, and that's it.

I have met tonnes of players like you in the game, being a leader in multiple servers. The issue is that people like you cannot adjust with other duals since you have your own notions of how an account is supposed to run, so you always go solo. However, what makes you now unique is that you do not want others to have dual(s) because you cannot compromise with yours? ?(

Saying that the response is to "get friends" means that Travian will turn into a game that is only viable for groups of people running accounts. The message is: if you are a single player (or even just a couple) then, forget it. You can never compete. The "teams" will dominate the game, and everybody who does not have a team, has zero chance of winning or even close to winning.

Should I tell you about this other thing that's happening that would make having duals trivial? Something that I have been fighting for, for such a long time. Techs. They are the accounts that are "for your account's benefit" and are run by friends. In other words in Travian you're totally allowed to have 20-30 friends build their accounts and your account farms them, or stores troops in them, etc. Now how do you compete with let's say 20 accounts playing for 1 account with just few duals on your account? Even if you're willing to put 20 times the time that those guys are putting, there's just as much resources to go around. The fight i've been fighting is that if 20 people are allowed to play 20 accounts for the benefits of 1 account, 1 person should also be allowed to play 20 accounts for the benefits of 1 account. Otherwise, you're telling a bunch of elite players that no matter what you do, no matter how much you put time, you cannot win since you do not have enough "friends/family members/proxies/whatevers". That is now something that you should also fight against.

B. 2 step verification for accounts that are continiously logged in

Being logged in 24 hrs a day, too isn't a sure indicator. Someone can simply log-in, and just keep it running it in the background.

For this, they can add a 2 step process.

1. Identify the accounts that see 24 hrs login-activity.

2. Add in mechanism to log them out, say.. every 2-3 hrs and force a captcha (this will be difficult for bots, unless the player manually completes the authentication)

Ele already answered your A part. So i'll answer this one.

Imagine building your 4 waves to attack someone on a zero pop ops, and you're waiting for the timer to hit to make a perfect 4 same seconds right on time, and you click send and are redirected to the login with the captcha.

i just want u to know i have no prob with u not knowing good English but don't act smart and use stuff i said that u don't even understand to try to hurt me bro

• First, I disagree with the terminology used in your topic title ... abuse of duals insinuates that there is rules being broken or side stepped.

Then somehow you equate duals to running bots or scripts and that they should be allowed to even out the playing field which by currently rules is a bannable offense, and who wants to play a game they only have to log into once a week?

There is a learning curve to this game that is dramatic the instant beginners protection drops. One of the best ways to learn how to play is to find someone with skill, knowledge and patience in the game and dual with them. You learn the ebb and flow of the game. what to build, when to build it, what troops to train in which village and why. When to attack, when to raid, when to defend, when to dodge and spend down.

Wouldn't it make more sense to maybe have a mentorship program of some type and maybe have a reward based on the experience a new player has learning to play the game? It may not be plausable but it might encourage new people to play or existing players to continue to playing.

s6r2 - Vaultboy ……………………….. currently us20 Beerus
    s19 - Plague Fyre ……………………... us3 Shere Khan
    s20 - C3sar ...............……. uk3 Tantric Ritual
    s1r11 - Asmoti
    s19 - Tequila

• I think there is another point being missed here. This has been about how a single account is sometimes a lot better than other accounts.
    Either because of duals or because of tech accounts. But this is not a game about how good any single account happens to be. It is a TEAM game that is about how well a team can do in winning a server. I have seen time and again where the "best" accounts on a server are irrelevant to this. And where small, low or even no gold players are on a team that uses what they are to help win that server. As an example: fnx mentioned above where they and a single dual made an 890K wheat count WWK. Even if they managed to do that without soaking up the res of more players to build or store that massive hammer (and well done, btw), a smaller, less active account that made 2 300K WWKs can have more impact on a server. Sure, they can only zero around a level 70 WW on most servers instead of level 95 or higher by the larger WWK, but they can hit two of them. Just a single example and those would both be considered top accounts on most servers. Another example featuring a smaller account: Say you have a player that barely uses enough gold to keep the bonuses and plus enabled with a 9C cap. They make 400K defense by end game. They probably never get noticed outside their team, but those D troops can come in mighty handy...

• A. The limitting number of IP per account rule, would just force dualled accounts to all use the same proxy. Thats by no means a ''solution'' to this ''problem''.
    B. If you think Captchas cant be solved by bots, take a quick google around. People who are willing to spend money for bot licenses/proxies, probably wont avoid paying indian clickfarms to do the capchtas for them (or AI).

Indeed, sitters and password holders cannot be compared. As you might have noticed, a sitter has its own account, which is why there are restrictions on sittership. A dual could have had his own account, but instead he decided to cut the playing time. A dualled account isnt twice as good as a solo account. Theres diminishing returns.

Good thing that you've only just noticed that travian is a team game. Obviously only teams win. And if you mean winning as in, getting the largest hammer or most off points? They probably couldve done a lot more damage if they split the duals over multiple accounts, so they only hurt their own alliance.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them...

maybe you can hire The SPIKE-Team:

*The only type of payment we accept is salt, terms and conditions apply**

**SPIKE-Team reserves the right to dissolve and disperse from a server at any given time, a refusal to uphold the buyers terms of service will result in an immediate enactment of such or similar procedures. We can not be held responsible for any emotional grief caused.

• I agree with your original post. I’m not a fan of dual accounts as I think they are in many ways unfair. I have played a couple of rounds as a dual though.

When I first started playing dual accounts weren’t really heard of and you could have fun talking with your enemies to play mental games and find out their online times!

That being said, they are allowed simply because it’s impossible to block them. How do TG know who is behind what computer? It’s the same reason the rules recently changed to allow tech accounts.

I can also sympathise with some people... many people just don’t have the money or the time to try and compete at the higher level of the game. Being a dual (or one of many) can help keep that travail addiction alive lol.

I’m afraid its a situation which will always be ‘If you cant beat them, join them’

• Dual accounts are unfair if you regard individual account ''biggus di#kus'' stats, but team-wise, it is mostly better to split those duals over multiple accounts. So I dont see an issue here, you trade in an extra account, to make 1 slightly better than average account. This make sure the duals spend less time and still have a somewhat decent account, it means you can have a life. But it is by no means unfair against other teams, because again: Dualled accounts are not twice as good as 2 solo accounts!

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them...

maybe you can hire The SPIKE-Team:

*The only type of payment we accept is salt, terms and conditions apply**

**SPIKE-Team reserves the right to dissolve and disperse from a server at any given time, a refusal to uphold the buyers terms of service will result in an immediate enactment of such or similar procedures. We can not be held responsible for any emotional grief caused.