[ANGLOSPHERE] Server 3, round 2 - Facts & Rumours

• not sure how to start this post so i'm just going to go straight in,

Wow,

Playing without purchasing gold is brutal.

it's almost as if i'm playing a whole different game to the 'paid version'

As someone who's always been able to buy a lot of gold whenever required, i must admit, i never really considered/understood why some accounts never seemed to progress as quickly as others, and why the divide between the very top accounts and the mid level accounts was so drastic was simply a mystery to me. (i'm not talking techs here either- thats a whole other topic i don't care to talk about)

So, let me elaborate,

out of boredom / lack of time to play, i decided i'd make a very passive non gold account, just to keep in touch with travian but not tire myself from it, and i began my quest (albeit a few days late...) on this server.

It started out okay, i obviously knew what to do with my first villa, so it didn't take long to get that one going, but of course,

all the good croppers were gone, yes i know what you are thinking, "obviously" because i started late, but honestly, i think it would be the same if i started day one.

I naturally sold anything i got from adventures, (everything even), and it did result in me getting enough gold for gold club + a hundred or so spare, This; i do confess, was a pleasant surprise, but i knew that going forward it would be wise for me to save the gold for the %25 production bonuses, and not to just bash it out on insta builds and npc'ing res which brings me onto my next topic,

not having the %25 hurts... like really hurts, and also not being able to npc res is horrible and is one of the main things that hampers a non gold account, you have to really think about which fields to upgrade and you have to be ultra efficient with your resources, yes some players might enjoy this, but it's a lot for a new player to take in... which brings me onto the main point of my post,

I was; essentially,

playing as if i was a new player,

how you ask?

well,

they usually join late,

have limited time,

have limited understanding of the game (not entirely true for myself but i did actually struggle to play this way)

have no or limited gold

also, i highly doubt new players would be selling the items they got in adventures anyway, so would probably have even less gold than my account did...

So, what is this super long post getting at?

Well, after playing this way, i think it's really hard for new players to actually get into the game,

yes they have beginners protection etc, but once they come out,

they are (almost always)

behind in resources,

behind in infrastructure,

behind in troops,

behind in villages,

new players only hope (in my eyes) is joining a well setup, beginner friendly alliance.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479lrx1ubkv1fkju21dne6f0q98ragdvzx8ie5lvxx&rid=giphy.gif

any Opinions?

• i couldn't agree more

I always play a server without gold, and after the initial first few weeks it's impossible.

Anglo 2: Lord of indulgence

Anglo 6: heavenly orange sledgehammer

Anglo 1: powerfully strong 💪 coffee

Anglo 5: strawberry surprise

Anglo 4: chocolate teardrop of desire :P

• You definitely could have settled a good 15c even with no gold use. And joining late means less adventure gold(Items at beginning sell much higher).

That being said taking a 15c would definitely not be the correct approach. New players should join day 1, sell every item for gold early on, and try to settle a 150% 9c. Not a 15c. Gold club isnt needed, and you should be upgrading crop fields only when needed to keep a decent balance. I.e. 1000 wood/clay/iron production to 750 wheat. Then keep making troops and keep upgrading fields as you go. You wont be anywhere near as powerful as gold users with 15cs, but you absolutely can get a server average account and get to 50k troops+.

• Agree with most of this for sure, but i think you'd struggle to get a 125% cropper or above without any gold usage!

New players should join day 1

Also this was kind of my point really^, they don't know to join day one, and they don't know to get a good cropper either! :nocrop:

i was trying to view it as the eyes of a new player to the game, who's just come across it online or whatever :3

• Agree with most of this for sure, but i think you'd struggle to get a 125% cropper or above without any gold usage!

Also this was kind of my point really^, they don't know to join day one, and they don't know to get a good cropper either! :nocrop:

i was trying to view it as the eyes of a new player to the game, who's just come across it online or whatever :3

the tasks are actually appalling and don't teach you the game at all, just "build this get res yay"

travian answers is incomplete at best and just completely wrong at worst

I think new players have to get lucky and find an alliance with leaders willing to teach but for me the skill gap ingrained into the game by gold and terrible info available to beginners is a huge issue and will always be a massive barrier to entry but I think it always was to an extent

• the tasks are actually appalling and don't teach you the game at all, just "build this get res yay"

I think new players have to get lucky and find an alliance with leaders willing to teach but for me the skill gap ingrained into the game by gold and terrible info available to beginners is a huge issue and will always be a massive barrier to entry but I think it always was to an extent

thanks you've explained what i was trying to say a lot better than i could [:

I think there needs to be better explanation at the start somehow

• the tasks are actually appalling and don't teach you the game at all, just "build this get res yay"

True, that being said I don't know many games that do have incredibly good tutorials, that being said travian is a fairly simple game in terms of mechanics so shouldn't be that hard to teach new players. There are also lots of 3rd party guides that are well written for new players - new players just need to out and look for them.

And are there even that many players joining the game completely on their own, not playing cause a friend suggested joining them?

I'd say the bigger issue here is that without gold you have absolutely no chance of keeping up with the gold heavy accounts - experienced or new player. Especially in the first few weeks. Simming a new feeder up without instabuild takes forever. Just the 10th level of all fields takes just under 4 days with MB20, even the most pro player can't compete with dudes golding everything up in a day :/

• even the most pro player can't compete with dudes golding everything up in a day

Good thing Travian is a team game. If you're playing non-gold and trying to compete with/do as well the insta-golders, then you're just setting the wrong expectations. Leave that to people who buy anywhere near that amount of gold.
    Non-gold accounts will be average. A non-gold player, new or old, needs to learn to live with that. That said, 4 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things. There's a lot you can build without gold in 200+ days.

Whiplash, Ifrit, White Panda and a dozen others that I don't remember.

• Good thing Travian is a team game. If you're playing non-gold and trying to compete with/do as well the insta-golders, then you're just setting the wrong expectations. Leave that to people who buy anywhere near that amount of gold.
    Non-gold accounts will be average. A non-gold player, new or old, needs to learn to live with that. That said, 4 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things. There's a lot you can build without gold in 200+ days.

Well you're confirming my point, gold gives a ridiculous advantage regardless of skill. It's not just 4 days, those 4 days snowball

I've yet to see a top account that doesn't use gold that is "just" 4 days behind the gold account with one village more. And it's not even 4 days, 4 days is just the last level on all fields

You surely get my point

• Well you're confirming my point, gold gives a ridiculous advantage regardless of skill. It's not just 4 days, those 4 days snowball

I've yet to see a top account that doesn't use gold that is "just" 4 days behind the gold account with one village more. And it's not even 4 days, 4 days is just the last level on all fields

You surely get my point

Well, I don't really mind being able to gold up a village in 12 hours. This is a game after all, and that is how I enjoy playing. If someone doesn't have the means to buy gold, why does it have to nerf my advantage? I am paying to help keep the server running, which that non-gold guy gets to play on as well.

I get your point, that doesn't mean its good. Nerfing the abilities gold gives has always been a stupid idea since that would just drive the paying customers away.

• Not my server, but yeah, gold gives a ridiculous advantage now. I know TG have to strike a balance between encouraging the gold payers, and trying to grow the game, but now it's very unlikely any newbie will stay to become a gold payer. I use gold (not as much as some others!) because otherwise, it's impossible to keep up. If gold were used only to make life easier for players, instead of guaranteeing a lead, I think they'd get more users and also keep more players. The 25% bonus is just a very open "pay-to-win" mechanism. So is gold club. Some of the benefits of gold club should be available to everyone.

Of course there have to be advantages to spending $, or no one would do it. But letting villages be built in hours instead of days gives a clear multiplier effect as the game goes on. As does teching, of course (not getting into that here either).

I know some players do manage pretty good accounts without gold, but they are raid monsters, are in pre-formed allies, and now would almost certainly have to use techs as well.

This has always been a pay-to-win game, with veterans having big advantages, but it's getting pretty stupid level now.

There are gods and goddesses. I stand before you as proof.

• Not my server, but yeah, gold gives a ridiculous advantage now. I know TG have to strike a balance between encouraging the gold payers, and trying to grow the game, but now it's very unlikely any newbie will stay to become a gold payer. I use gold (not as much as some others!) because otherwise, it's impossible to keep up. If gold were used only to make life easier for players, instead of guaranteeing a lead, I think they'd get more users and also keep more players. The 25% bonus is just a very open "pay-to-win" mechanism. So is gold club. Some of the benefits of gold club should be available to everyone.

Of course there have to be advantages to spending $, or no one would do it. But letting villages be built in hours instead of days gives a clear multiplier effect as the game goes on. As does teching, of course (not getting into that here either).

I know some players do manage pretty good accounts without gold, but they are raid monsters, are in pre-formed allies, and now would almost certainly have to use techs as well.

This has always been a pay-to-win game, with veterans having big advantages, but it's getting pretty stupid level now.

The entire "building villages in a day or less" mechanism doesn't really rely on a lot, just the auto completion (and of course NPC). Going by your statements, do you want them to remove insta building and NPC, or nerf them? Stuff that has been in the game since the beginning-ish?

All I see here are people saying "gold needs to be nerfed" without any concrete, thoughtful ways to do it.

This also doesn't seem like the thread for this discussion.

• Maybe if it's not the thread for this discussion then don't continue on the conversation? Just a thought

Because there's a lot to talk about otherwise, right? Tell me about how many techs you used for sore for instance.

• @rokchick  Vinit144 Feel free to create a thread about gold features if you think it's needed!

Sorry thats my fault tbh!

I didn't mean for discussion to go this far that way, Thread had gotten a little dead so i thought i'd pop in a talking point sharing my experiences of playing a non gold account for the first time (on this server)

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ee930bbafc19d2686e2db5ca14c68a5169ab12dc&rid=giphy.gif

thanks for all the replies though, i really agree with most of them, especially Tikopia 's :nat10:

anyways,

has anyone done a server review yet?

i haven't been paying much notice to the top alliances, i wonder who's expected to win this one:rep01:

• anyways,

has anyone done a server review yet?

i haven't been paying much notice to the top alliances, i wonder who's expected to win this one:rep01:

There are a few keys to predicting the server not yet known:

1) What is redsky doing and for which team

2) Will Zodiacs confed one of the other quads

3) Will the SW quad war end soon enough to stop both them doing enough damage to themselves to take them out of contention

Until we have more info on these things I think its hard to predict who's expected to win

• Maybe if it's not the thread for this discussion then don't continue on the conversation? Just a thought

Who could have predicted I'd ever hit "like" on one of your posts, but here we are.

The entire "building villages in a day or less" mechanism doesn't really rely on a lot, just the auto completion (and of course NPC). Going by your statements, do you want them to remove insta building and NPC, or nerf them? Stuff that has been in the game since the beginning-ish?

All I see here are people saying "gold needs to be nerfed" without any concrete, thoughtful ways to do it.

This also doesn't seem like the thread for this discussion.

It's not those in particular, it's a build up of advantage. Everything that changes makes it easier to buy or "cheat" your way to a win. As in, it's less about skill, or even time, than what you buy or how many accounts you use. I miss the days of botting/multi being the biggest problems, but at least they were identifiable and against the rules.

There are gods and goddesses. I stand before you as proof.

tg_TL-DQ4_970x250_181126.jpg