RPG: The Seven Kingdoms - Game Thread

    • Game

    By using our site, you accept the use of cookies to make your visit more pleasant, to offer you advertisements and contents tailored to your interests, to allow you to share content on social networks, and to create visit statistics for website optimisation. More information

    The Tournament 2018 Qualification has started!
    Don't miss Safiren's Corner!

    The dev diary about The Journey of a bug is now available!
    Don't miss it: Dev Diary: The Journey Of A Bug
    Comments or questions? Discuss it here!

    • "Hello" Ivy manages to eke out in her thoroughly confused state. Not sure whether to be glad for the company or to flee and garner more time to figure out what is going on.
      Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.








      || This area intentionally left blank. ||
      Our Lady of Croppers
      ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~
      The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison
    • Meherrin wrote:

      Elliott

      You are in the southwest of Georgia, in the southern end of the Piedmont mountains. There have been new rock climbing trails opening in the area, mostly in nearby Marion County, but this area isn't open to the general public yet.

      The country is beautiful, the mountain you've found small enough to manage in a day, but still challenging enough to make the journey worthwhile. You pause for a moment, thinking about what you learned about the history of the area from Jim, the local who drove you from the highway in to the wilderness reserve. The Muscogee lived in this area once, before they were forced off their lands and onto the Trail of Tears. Though Jim said there were stories that a few of the Muscogee were never rounded up by Governor Troup's soldiers - they just went into the mountains around here, and vanished.

      Your climb is everything you'd hoped, and when you stand finally at the top, you look out on the world below you with a sense of accomplishment and pride. It's late in the day, and you decide that instead of making your descent, you're going to sleep out on the mountain. You can see a wooded hollow not far off to the east and only a little way down the mountain, protected from any wind. The air is warm and dry, no sign of rain or colder weather coming in. And it;s such a wonderful thing, to be alone, with no one making demands on you.

      (OCC: please list the supplies you carry with you.)


      Elliott quickly makes his way to the hollow and begins to set things up for the night. From the number of times he's ended up spending the night alone on his trips he has the tent up in a few moments with a sleeping bag set up inside. He finds some dry wood and sets up a fire quickly and begins to cook the food he brought with him. While the food cooks he goes through the items in his bag again, going through a mental checklist:

      -Quite a few feet of rope
      -A small one-handed pick axe for hard climbs
      -A first aid kit
      -A large amount of food that needs to be heated
      -A compass
      -A heavy duty flashlight
      -3 boxes of matches
      -A change of clothes as well as a rain jacket
      -A refillable water bottle and a water purifier

      As the sun begins to set Elliott fills his water bottle with river water and douses the fire. He then refills his water bottle with purified water and takes his food back to the top of the mountain to watch the rest of the sunset and eat. Once he's done this he's quick to climb into his bag and prepare to sleep under the stars. His stuff is consolidated in the tent, but in no way packed or ready to go knowing that he is alone in the forest. Quickly he drifts off to sleep.
    • The Burninator wrote:

      "Ah yes, the winds of fortune blow whimsically today," Lucas responds, gesturing a hello to the group referred to as 'gang.' Lucas himself is dressed up low key as a stablehand. I say low key because it's a workman's outfit that would be quite in place in a stable in a pre-industrial epoch, but also doesn't appear too far out of the ordinary for some contemporary agricultural work.

      But for lunch he orders simple grilled cheese. Turns out that working in a somewhat-fancy, fanciful bar doesn't whet ones appetite for complicated or exotic restaurant orders. Neither does the stablehand outfit.

      Or maybe the narrator here just wants some cheap characterization of Lucas and is willing to do so at the cost of plausibility ;).


      Lucas

      After brunch, you all walk the short distance to the park, and spend the afternoon quite agreeably, wandering around the grounds, watching exhibition of everything from axe-fighting to manuscript illumination, listening to assorted minstrels and medieval music consorts, and looking at the multitude of merchant's booths, where you could, if you wanted to, buy everything from simple kitchen implements to costumes fit for a lord or lady at court.

      After supper - a variety of pasties purchased from one of the food merchants - Kelly and Blair wander off together, presumably in search of a bower, either in the grounds or off them. You and Robin have drifted away from the fair grounds, deep in conversation, strolling north along the Hudson River, when you realise you've passed the Cloisters and wandered into Inwood Hill Park.

      Robin looks around. "Aren't we near the Indian caves?"



      Scarecrow wrote:

      Given the only directional aid to be identified was the gentle sloping of the ground, Jack went downhill following the direction water would have flowed had it been there. Where there is water, one can find sustenance and civilization. A downhill trek would also be easier to perform saving precious energy.

      Jack kept one eyes on the surroundings, looking front, back, sides, high and low for any further indicators of his position be they plant or animal life, potential openings in the canopy, or food. Pausing occasionally he would also stop to listen to the sounds of the woods/forest; sounds he hoped would indicate nearby water.


      Jack

      Eventually you hear the sound of water running over rock, and find a small stream, not far downhill. You have been hearing some rustling in the trees around you, but nothing you identify as immediately dangerous. It's getting darker, but there's not enough light reaching the ground to sense direction - despite the presence of the stream, the canopy above is unbroken.

      You kneel by the stream to cup some water with your hands, and sip cautiously. It tastes pure and sweet, and cold. You drink more, and then splash some on your face.

      Suddenly you here louder rustling just above and behind you. You stand quickly, turning as you do, to see a dozen small figures dropping lightly from the trees in a large semicircle around you.

      Your first thought is that you've been ambushed by a troop of chimpanzees - but then you realise that the creatures surrounding you are lightly clothed over their short, dark fur, in loincloths and armless vests, and carrying weapons and other tools. Most are just over one meter in height, the tallest no more than 1.25 meters. They stand erect, more like humans than apes, but they have long, extra-jointed hands and feet that seem suited for grasping branches with all four limbs, arboreal dwellers by nature. Their faces are more human than ape-like, but thinner, with tufted ears that swivel slightly, like a cat's.

      Most importantly, they seem to be holding a stance that is defensive, but not threatening. Hands on knives, but no weapons drawn. Watching you intently, but without surprise - you sense they have seen your kind before.


      Flossie Schmumpus wrote:

      "Hello" Ivy manages to eke out in her thoroughly confused state. Not sure whether to be glad for the company or to flee and garner more time to figure out what is going on.


      Ivy

      The woman tilts her head slightly, and seems to repeat what she said. When you do not react, she tries again, this time in a fluid tongue that seems tantalisingly familiar. She seems to sense this, keeps talking. A few words begin to make sense - you realise that she's speaking some kind of language akin to Spanish, and asking you your name, and, you think, what you are doing here.


      Carni wrote:

      Elliott quickly makes his way to the hollow and begins to set things up for the night. From the number of times he's ended up spending the night alone on his trips he has the tent up in a few moments with a sleeping bag set up inside. He finds some dry wood and sets up a fire quickly and begins to cook the food he brought with him. While the food cooks he goes through the items in his bag again, going through a mental checklist:

      <snip>

      As the sun begins to set Elliott fills his water bottle with river water and douses the fire. He then refills his water bottle with purified water and takes his food back to the top of the mountain to watch the rest of the sunset and eat. Once he's done this he's quick to climb into his bag and prepare to sleep under the stars. His stuff is consolidated in the tent, but in no way packed or ready to go knowing that he is alone in the forest. Quickly he drifts off to sleep.


      Elliott

      After a good night's rest, you awake happier and more relaxed than you've been in a long time. You go about your morning camp-out routine, make some breakfast, and pack up your gear. You start toward the point you've chosen for the start of your descent, when a sudden cold mist settles around you out of nowhere. You feel dizzy and disoriented; the world spins around you.

      Just as suddenly, the mist fades away - and you stand there in shock. The mountains, the forests, are gone. You are standing beside a calm lake in the midst of rolling green hills. You see a few trees and bushes nearby - but they look strange, different. The sun is not far above horizon, but it's different too - red, and slightly swollen, as if you were seeing it through the haze of a very thick smog, but the air is fresh and clean - but somehow a little wrong. You see a cobblestone road not far off - in one direction it winds away through the hills.... In the other direction.... It leads to something you can only describe as a castle.
      And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
      - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez
    • Beginnign to seemingly comprehend a few words that seem like spanish, but not spanish,Ivy tries to communicate again. "Ah, uh...mi llamo Ivy" (my name is Ivy) pointing at herself. "No se donde estoy....no se."
      Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.








      || This area intentionally left blank. ||
      Our Lady of Croppers
      ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~
      The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison
    • Flossie Schmumpus wrote:

      Beginnign to seemingly comprehend a few words that seem like spanish, but not spanish,Ivy tries to communicate again. "Ah, uh...mi llamo Ivy" (my name is Ivy) pointing at herself. "No se donde estoy....no se."


      The woman looks quizzically at you for a moment, and then points at you. "Ivea?" she says. "Rafaella n'ha Doria," she adds, pointing to herself.

      The two of you struggle for a while, not quite understanding each other but still managing some basic communication.

      It seems that you are in a place called Shielig, and that Rafaella wants to take you somewhere to see someone important. She keeps asking you if you come from the 'clannas rialtas' - whatever that is - and all you can do to answer is to shake your head and look confused.

      Finally, Rafaella sighs, nods towards the direction from which she came, and indicates that you should walk with her.
      And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
      - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez
    • Meherrin wrote:

      Elliott

      After a good night's rest, you awake happier and more relaxed than you've been in a long time. You go about your morning camp-out routine, make some breakfast, and pack up your gear. You start toward the point you've chosen for the start of your descent, when a sudden cold mist settles around you out of nowhere. You feel dizzy and disoriented; the world spins around you.

      Just as suddenly, the mist fades away - and you stand there in shock. The mountains, the forests, are gone. You are standing beside a calm lake in the midst of rolling green hills. You see a few trees and bushes nearby - but they look strange, different. The sun is not far above horizon, but it's different too - red, and slightly swollen, as if you were seeing it through the haze of a very thick smog, but the air is fresh and clean - but somehow a little wrong. You see a cobblestone road not far off - in one direction it winds away through the hills.... In the other direction.... It leads to something you can only describe as a castle.


      Elliott spins around in place trying to get his bearings, he has no idea what has happened or where he is now. He neither has the food nor the courage to wait around and see what will happen to him so instead he decides to head over to the cobblestone road, though he moves slowly conscious of his every move through this livable, but wrong, environment. With a long look down both sides of the road he comes to the decision that he doesn't have the resources to trek through the hills so he must brave the castle. Slowly and cautiously Elliott begins his journey towards the castle.
    • Ivy nods at Rafaella, indicating she will follow her lead. Ivy decides to try to gain some language knowledge....pointing at various things along the way and learning the new words for them, knowing full well that having words for tree, rock, grass, flower would not help her find out what was going on, where she was, but it did make her feel better.
      Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.








      || This area intentionally left blank. ||
      Our Lady of Croppers
      ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~
      The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison
    • (OOC: Sorry! Thought I had replied! Feel free to prod me if I don't respond in an appropriate timeframe.)

      Deciding to stand in a non-threatening stance, Jack waited to see what their next action was. If the weapons were drawn aggressively he decided he would begin by turning and dashing across the stream.

      Jonothan Crane wrote:

      Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.
    • OOC: my apologies, I am not able to update character stories today. Severe smog in Toronto has affected both physical and mental states. I'll try to get something done tonight if the pollution index drops enough.
      And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
      - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez
    • (OOC, take care of yourself)
      Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.








      || This area intentionally left blank. ||
      Our Lady of Croppers
      ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~
      The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison
    • The Burninator wrote:

      Lucas looks up with a start -- he obviously had not been paying attention to location. "Not sure. Never walked this way before."


      Lucas

      "I think we are," Robin says, adding, "I've been there before, but not long enough to really look around."

      As the two of you walk inland from the riverside, the terrain becomes higher, rockier, more wooded. It's early evening, and the air is taking on a slight, unexpected chill. Your foot catches on a tree root and you stumble. Robin, walking a bit ahead of you, doesn't hear you fall.

      As you scramble back to your feet, a thick mist settles around you and you feel chilled to the bone. You hear Robin calling your name, but as if from a great distance; you try to answer, but you can't seem to move. For a moment, all is black.

      When you can open your eyes again, you are lying on the ground, a ring of strange faces around you, their faces full of astonishment and perhaps a little fear. You struggle to your feet and look around. For a minute you think you're back at the renfaire - everyone, men and women alike, is dressed medieval-style, in tunics, jerkins, breeches, long, loose pants, and a few wear capes or padded doublets - but you're in a clearing surrounded by woods. Behind the ring of faces, you can see campfires, a few simple tents, a couple of open wagons, and a string of mules.



      Carni wrote:

      Elliott spins around in place trying to get his bearings, he has no idea what has happened or where he is now. He neither has the food nor the courage to wait around and see what will happen to him so instead he decides to head over to the cobblestone road, though he moves slowly conscious of his every move through this livable, but wrong, environment. With a long look down both sides of the road he comes to the decision that he doesn't have the resources to trek through the hills so he must brave the castle. Slowly and cautiously Elliott begins his journey towards the castle.



      Elliott

      As you get closer, what seemed to be a castle turns out to be a cluster of wood and stone buildings, of varying heights, set around a central building with three towers. You see people dressed in simple, but somewhat odd, work clothes moving between the buildings, probably going about their jobs, whatever those might be. It all looks like a scene out of some historical movie.

      One of the men looks up from a bench where he was sitting, outside an outbuilding, bent over some kind of work. As he stands up, setting his work aside, you see that it looks like he was working on a saddle.

      The man calls out to you in a language you've never heard before.


      Flossie Schmumpus wrote:

      Ivy nods at Rafaella, indicating she will follow her lead. Ivy decides to try to gain some language knowledge....pointing at various things along the way and learning the new words for them, knowing full well that having words for tree, rock, grass, flower would not help her find out what was going on, where she was, but it did make her feel better.



      Ivy

      As you walk along, you slowly become more confident with this odd, not-quite Spanish language, and try to ask Rafaella where she is taking you. After some stumbling with words that are decidedly not from the Spanish, and a bit of pantomime, you gather that you are being taken to the home, or maybe the palace, of a local ruler.

      When Rafaella asks again if you are from the "clannas rialtas" you tell her you don't know what that is.

      She looks at you in surprise, and asks if you were raised among 'finnathi' - her tone suggests that this is a common phrase describing ignorance of common knowledge. You try to explain that you don't think you were raised anywhere on this planet, but she clearly doesn't understand. She does, however, manage to tell you about this 'clannas'. It seems that her people, the people of Shieltig, are having some kind of disagreement with several clannas - families, perhaps, or tribes? - who call themselves the Rialtas. It sounds as though this disagreement has been going on for a long time, and has involved fighting at times, but not now.

      You're relieved to hear that at least you have not landed in a battle zone.

      As the light begins to fail, Rafaella leads you off the path you have been following, into a little clearing. There's a stone shelter and a well, and she explains that Lord Seanan's residence is two day's travel away, and you eill have to spend the night here.


      Scarecrow wrote:

      (OOC: Sorry! Thought I had replied! Feel free to prod me if I don't respond in an appropriate timeframe.)

      Deciding to stand in a non-threatening stance, Jack waited to see what their next action was. If the weapons were drawn aggressively he decided he would begin by turning and dashing across the stream.


      Jack

      As you wait for someone to make a first move, another of the small furry people drops down from a branch, a little to the rear of those ranged around you. You're not certain, but you think this one is older, and possibly female. Definitely more colourfully dressed, and wearing some simple jewelry as well as a knife and a belt pouch.

      The others draw around him (her?) protectively, but still without any sense of aggression. After a quick exchange in a language quite unlike anything you've ever heard, the newcomer turns to you and addresses you, haltingly, in a language that sounds oddly familiar. In amazement, you think to yourself that in all likelihood, you are being spoken to in some hitherto unknown Romance language by small furry aliens on an unknown world.
      And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
      - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez
    • Ivy shrugs off her pack and turns to help Rafealla unload the mule. Ivy indicates she will go gather firewood and relieve herself. Soon she is back with her first armful of wood and sees that Rafealla has beaten her to getting the fire started.

      Ivy starts to unpack her pack, getting to the food offers to share.
      Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.








      || This area intentionally left blank. ||
      Our Lady of Croppers
      ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~
      The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison
    • Lucas rubs his eyes. It's not every day that you feel like you're being choked, then seem to be in a strange place. "It's a lucid dream," Lucas thinks aloud. "I've fallen unconscious and I'm lucid dreaming..."

      This decided he turns to the imaginary figures pictured before him.

      "So where is this supposed to be?" He asks of no one in particular.

      odinloki_us wrote:

      Looking at that account stats, either you don't know how to play, or you've decided to see how bad an account you can make..?
    • Flossie Schmumpus wrote:

      Ivy shrugs off her pack and turns to help Rafealla unload the mule. Ivy indicates she will go gather firewood and relieve herself. Soon she is back with her first armful of wood and sees that Rafealla has beaten her to getting the fire started.

      Ivy starts to unpack her pack, getting to the food offers to share.


      Ivy

      Between the two of you, a pleasant camp is soon set up. Rafaella carries cookware in her pack, and soon has dinner prepared - a grain/bean stew, made richer with the addition of some dried fungus and a few chunks of the charcuterie you offered, some if your remaining bread (she carries a dry flatbread, but yours is fresher, and will soon be too stale, anyway) and something hot to drink, a slightly bitter but rather tasty infusion of various nuts, bark and dried leaves. For dessert, you share the last of the oranges with her - she's never seen an orange, and is delighted with the taste of it.

      After dinner you sit around the fire for a while. You continue talking - and encouraging Rafaella to talk - as much as possible, knowing that unless you can communicate with these people, your chances of finding out where you are - and how to get home again - are slim indeed.

      You learn from Rafaella that she is the oldest daughter, and heir, of a farmer who lives near this Lord Seanan's lands (you have the distinct impression that this is a feudal society) and she was on her way to visit her sister, who lives in some kind of intentional community - the word Rafaella uses to describe her is 'callach' - called a Ciorcal. You apologise for interrupting her journey, but she just smiles, and says she was in no hurry. It seems that she has been trying o persuade a young man in her village that she is not interested in being his lover, and decided to visit her sister to give him sone time to cool down. Taking you to Lord Seanan is her duty, both to you as a stranger without kin and to her lord. And after that, she can continue her trip.

      In return, you do your best to tell her about your own life - she seems to understand that it is your skill to plan the best way to build things, but you still can't find the words to explain clearly where you came from. Eventually, the fire starts to die down. Rafaella banks it carefully, so there will be some coals in the morning, and you both prepare for sleep.

      The next day passes much the same way, and on the evening of the following day, you arrive at you destination, which you now know is called Banailt - Rafella has explained it means 'white cliff', and it is obvious why. The first thing you see as you crest a hill and look down into the valley below is a castle fort, built against - and possibly into - high cliffs of whitish stone. Outside the high fort wall is a village, and around the village, cleared fields where crops stand, seemingly close to harvest, and enclosures where goats and sheep graze.

      Rafaella leads you up to the castle - it seems she's been here before, as she exchanges friendly greetings with some of the villagers as you pass by, in that harsher language you don't understand. The castle gates are open, with a couple of soldiers - guards, you suppose - standing beside them. She talks to them for a few minutes, the one of them turns to you, addressing you in the same language you have been learning from Rafaella.

      "Stranger at the gates, do you swear on your honour that you come here with no harm in mind toward Lord Seanan, his vassals, lands or any person or thing that lies under his protection, and will do no harm should you come within?"



      Carni wrote:

      Elliott is careful with his reaction to the man. "Hello?" He calls out in a steady tone, hoping against hope that these strange people might speak english.


      Elliott

      The man speaks again, in the same unknown tongue, with a rising inflection. He seems to asking you a question. You shake your head, and even those you suspect it's hopeless, say that you don't understand him.

      Raising his voice, he calls out to someone, and seconds later, a young girl comes running out of the building behind him. He exchanges a few words with her, and she runs off toward the building with the towers. Turning back to you, he motions to you to follow him, pointing toward a large stone building beside the towers. He tries to talk to you again, repeating the word 'callach' several times. You get the impression that whatever a callach is, it's important.



      The Burninator wrote:

      Lucas rubs his eyes. It's not every day that you feel like you're being choked, then seem to be in a strange place. "It's a lucid dream," Lucas thinks aloud. "I've fallen unconscious and I'm lucid dreaming..."

      This decided he turns to the imaginary figures pictured before him.

      "So where is this supposed to be?" He asks of no one in particular.


      Lucas

      You see incomprehension on the faces of those around you. Some step back further, then turn away and go about their business, which seems to be setting up a camp. The rest look at one another, wordlessly choosing who will speak to you. The entire scene seems distressingly real - sights, sounds, smells - no matter how hard you try to make yourself wake up.

      Finally, one of them addresses you, but you don't understand anything that you hear.
      And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
      - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez
    • Glad for the practice with Rafaella with this familiar yet unfamiliar new old language, Ivy was able to reply, "I swear on my hono that I intend no harm" Or at least that is what she hoped she said.

      Breathing deeply she readies herself to meet Lord Seanan and hopes that Rafaella will tarry awhile.
      Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.








      || This area intentionally left blank. ||
      Our Lady of Croppers
      ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~
      The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison
    • Flossie Schmumpus wrote:

      Glad for the practice with Rafaella with this familiar yet unfamiliar new old language, Ivy was able to reply, "I swear on my hono that I intend no harm" Or at least that is what she hoped she said.

      Breathing deeply she readies herself to meet Lord Seanan and hopes that Rafaella will tarry awhile.


      The guard steps aside. Inside the gates you see a courtyard, with various buildings butted up against the walls and on the other side, against the cliffs, the castle proper. Rafaella gives you a running commentary about the layout of the fort, pointing to the blacksmith, the infirmary, the stillroom (this, you gather, is where herbs and other items are turned into medicines and other useful things), the armourer and leatherworker, the laundries, the common privies, and so on, as she and leads you first to the stables. There she leaves the mule in the hands of a smiling stablegirl, who exchanges a few words, mostly joking, it seems to you, with Rafaella before leading the mule away. You are suddenly struck by how cheerful most people seem to be, which isn't quite the image you had of life among the common people under a feudal system.

      Rafaella then leads you toward the inner castle. Again, the doors are open, with a guard standing by. Rafaella says something to the guard, who waves at a young boy lounging nearby. The lad runs over, listens to the guard's instructions, and dashes off.

      Rafealla takes you inside the castle. While windows are few, small, and narrow, so there is little natural light, the entry hall and corridors are well lit with what appear to be oil-burning lanterns. The natural chill of stone walls is eased somewhat by colourful carpets and tapestries. Rafaella explains that since it is late in the day, and even if the lord decides to see you, it's too late to go anywhere else, she's going to see the castle housekeeper to arrange a place for the two of you to sleep.

      The housekeeper is a tall, grandmotherly sort of person, who seems to know Rafaella. They talk for a bit, then the housekeeper turns to you, saying in habla - the name of the language you've been learning - "Welcome to Banailt. I am Kiera n'ha Marilys, housekeeper here. We have several guests at the moment, you will have to share a room with Rafaella. Follow me, if you will."

      Kiera leads the two of you to a small room, well-insulated from the cold wall-hanings, furnished with with two narrow beds and a small wooden table, with chests at the foot of each bed for storing one's belongings.

      Rafaella thanks Kiera, adding that if the lord sends for you, you will likely be either in the baths or the refectory. As Kiera leaves, @rafaella asks you "well? Which first? A meal or a bath?"
      And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
      - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez
    • "Bath first" Washing the grime of the last few days off will be wonderful.
      Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.








      || This area intentionally left blank. ||
      Our Lady of Croppers
      ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~
      The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison