RPG: The Seven Kingdoms - Game Thread

• Game

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• "Rafaella, how long of a journey is it to Marlis? How long is the journey to Cathairis? I am drawn to go see Elliot, his name is one English speakers would use and it might help him to hear his own tongue.
      Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison
    • "Not at all; I'm still learning the lay of the land." -- this is an expression Lucas would never have been able to translate before the mind link, which had increased his linguistic abilities. Even as it is, he hopes that the use of the expression isn't actually quite right, thereby enhancing his 'foreigner' cred.
    • Flossie Schmumpus wrote:

"Rafaella, how long of a journey is it to Marlis? How long is the journey to Cathairis? I am drawn to go see Elliot, his name is one English speakers would use and it might help him to hear his own tongue.

Ivy

Rafaella her head. "I've never travelled out of Sheilig... But both Rhugar and Abeille have done so, we can go drop in on them, and see if either of them has been to Cathairis or Marlis."

Both your new friends are at home, and are happy to invite you in to chat about travelling in the Seven Kingdoms. Both of them, ot turns out, have been to Cathairis and Abeille has been to a place in Kirdais, which she says is not far from Marlis.

The first thing you realise is how dependent travel planning is on the weather and the seasons. Most observations about how long it took to get anywhere are prefaced by a comment on the season and whether the passes had closed or opened early that year.

Abeille tells you that she has been to Cathairia several times "...when I was young. This time of year, it's best to cross one of the passes south of Cashiel and then take a barge down the Ascal and then the Mendieth to Skurra, and from there along the coast, either by ship or by caravan. Assuming no problem at the pass, it should only be a few weeks." Rafaella adds "That's the path Dario - the caravan leader Lord Seanan mentioned - will be travelling." Rhugar has only visited Cathairis in high summer, with a delegation of officials on the Lord's staff, and they rode straight south down the eastern side of the Sliah Divide, taking about 10 days.

Abeille says that just a few years ago she visited Tailain, a well-known falconry centre in the south of the kingdom of Kirdais - "the Diarmaids have always had a special streak of draioch that enables them to communicate with animals and birds, some of the best trainers in all of the kingdoms are of Diarmaid heritage" - to select new breeding stock.

It turns out that for at least another month, the passes south of Banailt into Kirdais should still be open, and once they reach Ashene, the capital of Kirdais, it is a relatively short journey to Tailain and on to Marlis. Travel time to Cathairis will be rather longer.

The Burninator wrote:

"Not at all; I'm still learning the lay of the land." -- this is an expression Lucas would never have been able to translate before the mind link, which had increased his linguistic abilities. Even as it is, he hopes that the use of the expression isn't actually quite right, thereby enhancing his 'foreigner' cred.

Lucas

Tavis nods. "Cathairis isn't quite like anywhere else, or so they say. Mind you, I've never been more than a few days' journey out of the city, to my grandfather's farm near Falmuir. But if you've never lived in a city before, I imagine it can be rather strange."
      And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
      - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez

The post was edited 1 time, last by Meherrin ().

• Lucas throws his head back and laughs. Then, he's comfortable delivering the line "yes, that's quite it; I've never been in so large a city. There are just so many people I hardly know where to begin." That's still funny, but when you laugh before delivering the punchline it helps keep a straight face. "So if you were just looking to get started in Cathairis, where would you begin?"
    • Ivy says," I am thinking then I should let Lord Seanan know I would like to journey Marlis and see Elliot first and then either return to Banailt and then go to Cathairis or head from Marlis to Cathairis. Rafealla, you up for some adventuring? Abeille, Rhugar anything I should know aobut traveling, special foods to try, supplies to take?"
      Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~ || This area intentionally left blank. || The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison
    • The Burninator wrote:

Lucas throws his head back and laughs. Then, he's comfortable delivering the line "yes, that's quite it; I've never been in so large a city. There are just so many people I hardly know where to begin." That's still funny, but when you laugh before delivering the punchline it helps keep a straight face. "So if you were just looking to get started in Cathairis, where would you begin?"

Lucas

Tavis pauses for a minute, thinking. "I suppose it all depends on what you want to do. Lots of people, I'm told, come to Cathairis to go to the Collegium. It's a good place to make connections. Of course, if you've got a skill, you can always go to the Exchange and see what they have on record there. You've got a place to stay?"

Flossie Schmumpus wrote:

Ivy says," I am thinking then I should let Lord Seanan know I would like to journey Marlis and see Elliot first and then either return to Banailt and then go to Cathairis or head from Marlis to Cathairis. Rafealla, you up for some adventuring? Abeille, Rhugar anything I should know aobut traveling, special foods to try, supplies to take?"

Ivy

"It would be best to find a caravan travelling to Ashene, and then from there you can join another caravan that's passing Marlis, or at least going nearby," said Rhugar. "Though you might have to go to Cashiel to find a caravan... I'll ask Connor - he's in charge of our trade with other regions - to see if there are any caravan or smaller trading parties leaving for Kirdais in the next few weeks."

Abeille chimed in. "It's always best to travel with a party, especially going through the passes. There are wild animals, and while everyone does their best to root them out, there are always a few outlaws - people who refuse to live by the Rialtas and the laws - living in the mountain areas, and they will attack travellers for their goods, and sometimes hold captives for ransom."

Rafaella nodded. "We'll be best off with a caravan, Ivy. Lord Seanan will see that our travel fees are paid, and that we have funds for the journey. We'll likely have to stay in Kirdais over the winter - unless you want to travel on to Cathairis - as the passes will likely be closed by the time we get there. So we'll pack well and be prepared." She smiled. "I'm rather looking forward to travelling with you, Ivy. I've never really had an adventure before, I've always been the responsible one of the family - oldest sibling, you know."
      And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
      - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez
    • Ivy

"Thank you Rhugar, please let us know what Conner says"

"Abeille, what kind of things should we pack? Anything special we want to be sure to have?"

Smiling at Rafaella, "Sometimes it is good to leave the responsibilities of everyday life behind, it gives you a break and lets you explore new possibilities and it allows your younger siblings to grow and stretch into new to them responsibilities." Nodding, more to herself, "We should bring some local specialties to give as gifts and perhaps to trade, small easy to carry items." Smiling ruefully, "I think I need to get some sturdy boots to go with the shoes I have just gotten."

Later that night laying in her bed, Ivy wonders why she is so drawn to visit Elliot, it is almost as if she were impelled to go. Musing to herself, "Hrmpf...probably just the desire for a pinch of familiarity."

• "Yes I've a good place to stay right now. Although judging by your prices I don't make much money! I'm a bartender by trade, actually, although let's just say that the cocktails I am used to mixing differ from what I've seen around here. But the collegium sounds like it might be something worth seeing. What kinds of connections do you mean?"