New forum feedback and sugestions

By using our site, you accept the use of cookies to make your visit more pleasant, to offer you advertisements and contents tailored to your interests, to allow you to share content on social networks, and to create visit statistics for website optimisation. More information

The Tournament 2018 Qualification has started!
    Don't miss Safiren's Corner!

The dev diary about The Journey of a bug is now available!
    Don't miss it: Dev Diary: The Journey Of A Bug
    Comments or questions? Discuss it here!

• н-υ-п-т-ε-я_US wrote:

I miss the color green :p

Also, Why some people have the USERNAME_CC (cc = country code) and some people don't?
      You can remove the country code here: wbb.forum.travian.com/account-management/

EDIT: Do we really need a Fan Art section?

Kurtz wrote:

We learnt ... from [Kimmie]!

FA Belladonna wrote:

Kurtz, the horse is dead, please stop beating it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ECH0 ().

• н-υ-п-т-ε-я_US wrote:

Also, Why some people have the USERNAME_CC (cc = country code) and some people don't?
      We changed our name.
      It's hidden under the account settings. Apparently it is something we can do every 180 days or so.

Jonothan Crane wrote:

Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.
    • Two things I just noticed missing:

1. Groups. I never really used them and not sure if anyone else did but they are gone. Being added back may or may not be useful or desired.

2. Our Server history. We used to have a section in the profile we could list all the servers.... Given that this game spans years having that is very important. Some do it in their signatures as well but I did not and now have to try and reconstruct it again (which I just did when I came back in December). Regardless it is a nice little thing for people to have in their profiles for others to see and can help reconnect players who "retire" and come back. I found my old KoN friends again because of this feature.

Edit: One additional thing

The placement of threads seems to vary a bit between the various English domains. Will there be any attempt to standardize that? As an example the bug reporting for the Beta is in the Politics and Diplomacy section, yet that sounds like something that belongs in the Bugs & Server Issues. On a related note it might be wise to create a general feedback forum for the game, instead of spreading threads out between Game Suggestions, General Discussions, Bug and Server Reporting and Localization Feedback. The forum for "Forum Suggestions" could be moved under this new Feedback Forum as but as an actual sub-forum. I don't know that the others all require dedicated sub-forums either. Game feedback can easily cross lines between fixing bugs, minor game adjustments to major ones, as well as feedback on announced changes and beta testing all in one post.

And another: I've noticed some issues with the T4 answers page. Where should I report such issues?
      Veteran Legends Site|Join Our Discord
      Community Feedback | Game Encyclopedia | History Anthology | 3rd-Party Tool Modernization

Carni wrote:

God I would kill to have like 4 of you on every team I play

The post was edited 3 times, last by BlackBlade ().

• Need sub-forums back, period.

Meandering through filters and settings and/or clicking my heels together 3X is too much work.!

Login > diplomacy > US2 > post or read about bashing feeble AES/AEPwnd or Louie Louie LLUA floundering about trying not to lose plans.

Basic stuff guys.
      Enter Sandman.
      :meditate:
    • н-υ-п-т-ε-я_US wrote:

You can change your name, I was Flossie Schmumpus_US but I changed it and remove the appendage
      Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

|| This area intentionally left blank. ||
      Our Lady of Croppers
      ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~
      The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison
    • н-υ-п-т-ε-я_US wrote:

They gave everyone a country code at the end of their user name - many people have changed their user name to remove that code. If you root around you will find a place where you can customise your account to sone extent, and in there you;ll find an option for changing your user name. I'd be more specific, but I can't remember where i found it and i can't seem to find it again. :(

Navigation does not appear to be intuitive. :(
      And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
      - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez
    • For the most part, I've been trying to hold off on any larger comments regarding the forum changes until I was able to wrap my head around them.

The main topics of conversation have already been discussed and I believe most of those have been passed on already.

Main things I see are the following:
      1. Subforums.
        There should be subforums for each of the servers. Even if this means there is a list of from 1 through 20 (or however many servers there are). There are other subforums that are in place currently so it's not as if they aren't doable.
      2. A lack of direction was provided in how to get to what one could consider their home domain if they have been on multiple. There should have been a guide provided that showed people how to get to where they wanted to be that was available upon release of the new forums. Instead, the first thing people do when they finally reach their domain is complain in the forum change thread because they had to overcome a number of obstacles just to get there.
      3. All the new graphics and functionality do have a noticeable difference on the load time of each page; at least for me. Australians certainly don't have the best internet in the world but I'm sure there are other nationalities or domains that may suffer from similar problems. Perhaps this could be addressed with a minimalist skin?
      There are a number of smaller issues and I'm sure there will continue to be but I don't see them as important as the above. In saying that, I will point them out when I come across them.

Jonothan Crane wrote:

Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.
    • Excel wrote:

I've just checked out the new forum for the first time. And I'm outraged. Before I start ranting about that, I want to thank CH Hudson for all he has tried to do to make this work. He's stuck in a hard place between the members and the Travian masters that commanded this be done.
      Point 1: We were told, repeatedly, that all active forum accounts would get moved over and merged if they had the same e-mail associated with them. Not true.
      Point 2: We were told that active threads would get moved over. Again. Not true. Corollary: I assumed that locked threads like the Guides section would get looked at and moved over as active threads. Again, not true. This will negate the possibility of new players learning anything useful from them like I did when I started.
      Point 3: It seems very difficult to navigate this forum to find wanted threads. I am not a programmer. Nor a computer nerd. I refuse to use filters every single time I want to find something. I do not feel that this forum should be as difficult to navigate as it is.
      Point 4: Either the developers that made this forum, or the managers that demanded the features involved are incompetent. This change breaks all the standards for such forums. The basic structure is difficult to navigate. Making an easy to read forum structure should have been task one in this large and difficult enterprise. It obviously was no more than an afterthought. Then we can move onto the migration of info from the earlier forums. This is one of the worst examples of that I have ever seen. promises about that were made and not kept. Probably in good faith from those that made them. Our threads are not here and if they were, they'd be lost in the morass you've made of this forum.Our tools are not here any more. Not from any of the forums. And they would likewise be lost.
      Heck, I had to have someone show me this thread since the forum discussion area is EMPTY!
      Travian HQ has made this forum an unusable mess. And all the responses from them that I have seen basically translate to "We don't care" and "our customer's concerns just do not matter to us". I'm sure I'll be dismissed as a n00b that has little experience with Travian forums. But that's your fault, too. My thousands of threads are gone like they never existed. Only to "sometime might be brought over in a dead threads archive".
      If there is not a massive change to this forum, it is useless to me and to the vast majority of your customers.

Excel
      1) I can check which accounts of yours were imported and merged, Please email cm@travian.us
      2) all active threads within the last 6 months and less than a year old were imported however there were a few exceptions Any guide that was not for T4.4 was not imported as it is out of date, a large number of the genchat posts were not imported as they break the rule in this place.
      3) this is a common issue many are finding. We are working on ways to improve the navigation for the future

Kerzi wrote:

Our server starts in 13 days.

So no, the changes that the com server are going through WILL affect a large percentage of us as well. Agreed on the wrong place for the comment. Seriously, though....there IS not right place for that comment right now. BECAUSE the forum is a failure.
      There has been no date for the update to be released on US, given the issues on COM and AU it could well be delayed while the resolve issues

The Burninator wrote:

rokchick_AU wrote:

OK, I'm totally confused now. I now get that I'm only the .com forum user (which is fricken hilarious if you know my history on that!). But, I can't work out how to get anywhere. Before I logged in, the latest posts section showed the usual suspects. Posts from TB, Scare, Blaze and Floss among others. Including this thread. I finally log in and work out I'm the .com version, can't find any forum relating to the .us stuff and can't even navigate to this page. I had to go back to a different browser, not logged in and copy the url in to get here....
      I get that this is all going to be confusing, but is there any easy instruction to find the stuff I want to see and not all the other server stuff? Can someone give me Mafia tread links, etc so I can pin them (if I can...).
      I think you have to go into your language settings and enable all the English ones. I asked m.Hudson to let me cross-list mafia on multiple, but since that sentence started with "can I..." the answer was "no."
      TB's New Forum Mafia Signups
      wbb.forum.travian.com/thread/465768-forum-user-guide/ the guide explains how to set your multi linugal settings let me know if you need this in more details

Regarding cross-listing its physically not possible to assign a thread to multiple domains.

н-υ-п-т-ε-я_US wrote:

If you have issues please let me know (or you changed it incorrectly) and i will assist you

ECH0 wrote:

н-υ-п-т-ε-я_US wrote:

You can remove the country code here: wbb.forum.travian.com/account-management/
      EDIT: Do we really need a Fan Art section?

The forum areas are common across all travian domains so while we might not use it much here AU or DE could have tons of threads in that area. Everyone see the same forum areas, its just the threads that change depending on your multi-lingual settings

BlackBlade wrote:

Two things I just noticed missing:

1. Groups. I never really used them and not sure if anyone else did but they are gone. Being added back may or may not be useful or desired.

2. Our Server history. We used to have a section in the profile we could list all the servers.... Given that this game spans years having that is very important. Some do it in their signatures as well but I did not and now have to try and reconstruct it again (which I just did when I came back in December). Regardless it is a nice little thing for people to have in their profiles for others to see and can help reconnect players who "retire" and come back. I found my old KoN friends again because of this feature.

Edit: One additional thing

The placement of threads seems to vary a bit between the various English domains. Will there be any attempt to standardize that? As an example the bug reporting for the Beta is in the Politics and Diplomacy section, yet that sounds like something that belongs in the Bugs & Server Issues. On a related note it might be wise to create a general feedback forum for the game, instead of spreading threads out between Game Suggestions, General Discussions, Bug and Server Reporting and Localization Feedback. The forum for "Forum Suggestions" could be moved under this new Feedback Forum as but as an actual sub-forum. I don't know that the others all require dedicated sub-forums either. Game feedback can easily cross lines between fixing bugs, minor game adjustments to major ones, as well as feedback on announced changes and beta testing all in one post.

And another: I've noticed some issues with the T4 answers page. Where should I report such issues?
      1) there are no groups here at the moment although im sure we could request them in the future

2) The server history was bespoke profile editing for this domain. Because all domains now use the same forum and common features this is no longer possible. I also no longer have the ability to manage such things so have to ask HQ each time

3) each CM did not get long to move all the threads from the bucket they were imported into, as a result some threads ended in a completely random place or illogical order. Myself and the crew are slowly working through the forum again and correcting thread locations but if you see something illogical either use the report function to flag it to us or let us know directly

4) T4 answers. Please contact admin@travian.us and report it to the customer services rep who has the ability to ammend T4 answers
      CM mhudson
      Community Manager
      Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78
    • Thanks for the help, :)

It appeared that I had to change some of those non-english letters too :huh:

Avicenna wrote:

That whose existence is necessary must necessarily be one essence.

Rumi wrote:

What you are seeking is also seeking you.
    • I still dislike the tag system.
      Portraying everything as a jumbled mess that is required to be filtered down to find anything of import doesn't leave a good first impression for brand new users (and we are all brand new currently when it comes to this forum).

As it is, I cannot find where one would go in order to tag a thread to begin with.
      If it is only possible at thread creation, then I can foresee a large number of people forgetting them and the forum being left in the jumbled state it is.
      If it can be done at any point during a thread, then what is stopping the tags from being abused like they were prior (i.e. in a trolling and/or spamming manner)?

EDIT:
      I have since found them. For the knowledge of others, you assign a tag during the thread creation.

So, if someone incorrectly tags a thread, what recourse is available to them in order to correct it? For instance, if someone marks a quad in the Diplomacy section as NW but meant to click SW how would they go about changing it?

This can still suffer from the abuse problem I had pointed out in the above.

As an aside, I would like to point out that a larger number of players and forum-goers tend to be of an older generation which may not be as computer literate as younger generations. The added layers of complexity involved to do what was once a simple task may drive such people away.

EDIT2:
      Looking at the UK forum, I can see they are also pushing for individual server embassies. Even .COM, which usually cares very little about forum changes (or anything outside of their respective embassy really), are detesting the lack of embassy sub-forums.

Hudson, I do note that you stated on the .UK forum that HQ want to stick to the tag system but I wish to re-emphasize what a mistake I believe this is given the above.
      I get that there will always be a push-back to change but if every domain I'm visiting is making the same comment and wants the same change, it would seem overly unwise of HQ to not listen.

Jonothan Crane wrote:

The post was edited 3 times, last by Scarecrow ().

• Tags can be changed after thread creation by reporting the thread and requesting the moderator changes the tags.

HQ have said that things could change further down the line but for now they are sticking with the tag system.

Almost every domain and every CM has stated in one way or another that the tag system does not replace the old embassies but other than repeatedly raising it in our feedback there is little we can do to change this.

Sorry :(
      CM mhudson
      Community Manager

• I appreciate your efforts.

Question:
      Is a tag currently a mandatory field at thread creation?
      Since the dump is now gone I don't have anywhere to test features.

Jonothan Crane wrote:

• m.hudson wrote:

No its not mandatory at the moment
      Since HQ are doubling down, can the server tag be made a mandatory field within the embassies?

Jonothan Crane wrote:

• I can definitely feed that back but I suspect the fact so many threads dont have tags could cause issues if it were made mandatory.

Let me send that in and see if we get an answer
      CM mhudson
      Community Manager

• Scarecrow wrote:

I appreciate your efforts.

Question:
      Is a tag currently a mandatory field at thread creation?
      Since the dump is now gone I don't have anywhere to test features.

m.hudson wrote:

No its not mandatory at the moment
      In most forums it's not even relevant, either.
      So it's only in the GameWorld section where it has the most relevance, for now.

Mod/MH/SH (aug 2007 - feb 2010) // MH (sept 2015)