Nobody Expects the Mafia! (Mafia R1 Gamethread)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Would you like to know what’s going on in the Tournament 2017 Finals?
    Keep yourself updated by reading "The Corner"!

• Nobody Expects the Mafia! (Mafia R1 Gamethread)

Nobody Expects the Mafia!

Round Info:
      Game begins.
      Votes and roles due daily starting on Saturday Aug 5th, at 11:30PM Eastern (8:30PM Pacific)

===========================================================================

"Trouble at the mill," you say, as you stride through the door.
      "Oh no," your wily mistress replies, "what sort of trouble?"
      "<Incomprehensible gibberish>."
      "Pardon," your mistress begs, daintily placing her fingertips upon your forearm.
      "<Louder incomprehensible gibberish>," you reply.

I know, it's pretty much how all conversations between married people eventually go, but bear with the story for a moment here.

"I don't understand what you're saying!"
      "<Slower incomprehensible gibberish, although there's definitely a 'crossbeam' in there, and maybe an 'out of skew,' but who can say for sure?>"
      "Well what on Earth does that mean?"
      "Oh I don't know, Mr. Wentworth just told me to come in here and tell you that there was trouble at the mill, that's all; I didn't expect this kind of Spanish Inquisition!"

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION.

That's the beauty of it, you see.

But I suppose I am boring you with this tale about shenanigans, so I shall henceforth and without further delay proceed to begin starting to tell you about what roles may or may not or may partially be or partially not be involved in this game and/or sport of Mafia.

The Spanish Inquisition
      Wins when they outnumber the Potential Heathens and Bystanders put together. If this occurs, the round ends. The Inquisition may speak privately outside the game thread.
      1) Fear - Some have argued that this weapon of the inquisition is the most deadly. A very powerful man once said that it is, in fact, the only thing we have to fear. Perhaps Fear is the only weapon of the inquisition that is a noumenon, a thing-in-itself. Anyway, Fear rules the inquisition with an iron fist, and whosoever he or she desires to be queried will be queried that night by the inquisitor of their choice. [Godfather; sends in mafia kill; turns up as a Potential Heathen on investigation.]
      2) Surprise - Chief weapon of the Inquisition; a victim caught in the unrelenting grip of Surprise will be unable to take an action that night. [Roleblocker]
      3) Nice Red Uniforms - Among the more oft-forgotten weapons of the Inquisition, it is difficult to see how this even qualifies as a weapon. Another thing that is difficult to see is how anyone could be comfortable in one of those things. Anyway, the authority afforded the wearer of one of these guarantees that their inquisition will have results. [May learn the exact role of a player.]
      4) Fanatical Devotion to the Pope - Although this is actually a weapon, it's dramatically underrated. If voted out, Fanatical Devotion to the Pope will result in serious doubt on the part of the first person to have cast a vote to remove such devotion will probably result in the removal of the voter. [First person to vote for Fanatical Devotion to the Pope with successful vote dies with him.]

Potential Heathens
      Wins when there are no members of the Spanish Inquisition left in town. If this occurs, the round ends.
      1) Juror - Expert at charades, and may choose to utilize this skill at a ridiculous time, thus forcing the target to waste an inordinate amount of time interpreting what could have been said simply using talkwords out of a mouth hole. [Roleblocker]
      2) Bus Driver - Classic switch-er-oo. [Switches what happens to 2 players that night]
      3) Judge - Knows whether a man is or is not participating in the Inquisition. [Detective]
      4) Innocent! - May make a player look innocent to the Inquisition for the night, preventing the Inquisition from removing them from the game. [Doctor]
      5) Not Gillcup - May not be removed by popular vote, and if targeted by the Juror, is informed of their identity.
      6) Incompetence- May cause a player to forget grossly misinterpret role, but only has an effect on aggressive roles. For example, if you are told to "bring the rack," incompetence might make you think that this refers to a drying rack rather than a torture device. I promise, this is connected to the theme and I'm not just grasping at straws for more roles. [Selective roleblock]
      7) Old Lady - She doesn't understand what she's accused of, and doesn't know what you're talking about. As a result, the Old Lady will believe that he or she is a random role, but actually has no abilities at all! Isn't that hilarious! Oh, she also comes up as Inquisition upon investigation. [Miller]
      8) Sweet Angie - Knows the identity of Sweet Janine, but shares her fate if she is removed from the game.
      9) Sweet Janine - knows the identity of Sweet Angie, but shares her fate if she is removed from the game.

Bystanders
      Each bystander has his or her own win condition, and unless specified otherwise, the game will continue with victory by a Bystander, unless their role states otherwise.
      1) The Rack - 50/50 chance of being a torture rack vs. a drying rack. If rolls torture rack, the target will be removed from the game. If rolls drying rack, the target will be confused, and be told the identity of The Rack regardless of what action they tried to take that night. Wins if 3 players know the identity of The Rack, if The Rack successfully tortures 3 individuals, or if is among the final 1, 2, or 3 remaining players. If The Rack wins, the game ends with no other winner(s).
      2) Comfy Chair - If a player targets the Comfy Chair, role use fails and he or she finds him or herself unable to escape the wonderful embrace of the soft cushions for the next turn. If multiple players target Comfy Chair, they learn one another's identities and are stuck for as many turns as people target the Comfy Chair. Comfy Chair wins if taken by the Inquisition or if alive at the end of the game. If targeted by a roleblock, the roleblocker will be affected instead, but obviously Soft Pillows may be removed by the Inquisition.
      3) Cup of Coffee at 11 - Chooses a target each night, and that player is informed that they have been given a decent cup of coffee at 11, allowing them to use their role twice in the next round. At the beginning of the game, Cup of Coffee at 11 chooses whether he or she wants to win with the Inquisition or the Potential Heathens, and wins with that team.

Round Rules:
      1) Closed comms. (No outside communication about mafia unless your role allows it.)
      2) "NL" may be voted at any time, and indicates voting for no one to be removed by popular vote that night.
      3) Roleclaiming is strictly forbidden, and will result in removal from the game at KP. You may hint at your role, but if you say "lol I'm from beans grown in Columbia," that's a roleclaim pal.
      4) Failure to vote will be counted as a vote against yourself.
      5) Mein word is law.

Players (4/15) :
      [strike]Blaze[/strike] - was Sweet Janine
      Kerzi
      [strike]Deadpool[/strike] - was Sweet Angie.
      [strike]Ech0[strike] - was Nice Red Uniforms.
      Rok
      [strike]Eric[/strike] - was the Old Lady.
      [strike]Gibby[/strike] - was The Rack.
      [strike]Mouse-Keyboard[/strike] - was the Comfy Chair.
      [strike]Pile of Pandas[/strike] - was Innocent!
      [strike]Scarecrow[/strike] - was Incompetence.
      Zenny
      [strike]Flossie[/strike] - Was the Judge.
      [strike]Hawkery[/strike] - was the Juror
      Carni
      [strike]Excel[/strike] - was the Cup of Coffee at 11.

KP's
      KP1 postponed (due to missing role uses; will occur tomorrow regardless. Please send in your roles.)
      KP1
      KP2
      KP3
      KP4
      KP5

The Inquisition has won. Cup of Coffee at 11 has also won.

The post was edited 11 times, last by The Burninator ().

• Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

|| This area intentionally left blank. ||
      Our Lady of Croppers
      ~Semper DOS~ ~Viva Toons~
      The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison
    • This is what I thought of.

Also, that timing is highly inopportune for me. If it starts on that date I'm better off withdrawing from the round.

Jonothan Crane wrote:

Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.
    • Go start.....we are tired of waiting and have grown impatient. We were patient little lambs before but now we have turned into hyenas.
      Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers
      The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity ~ Harlan Ellison
    • Vote: Burniepooh

Reason: Tradition!
      Note:Any posts made by this poster should always be construed in the most innocent angelic way possible. The poster is not responsible for where your depraved minds go, if you have a depraved mind.

Our Lady of Croppers
    • The Burninator wrote:

All roles are out. Good luck. I modded the intro post a little and I should note that every role except 1 is in play. (As in all roles listed are in use with a single exception.)

May God have mercy on my soul as I host this round by cell phone in California ;)
      Um, I think you sent the role PM to the wrong Deadpool.
      AU - Super Moderator
      US - Moderator, Support, Multihunter
    • Question:

I see two items listed as scenarios or roles that can potentially find out the roles of others (red uniform role, and if multiple people target the comfy chair).

My question: if one of the players affected by either of the two listed above find out the identity of the Rack, and they choose to announce that fact, does the Rack automatically win? It says they win and everyone else loses if 3 people learn their identity. Do those 3 only count if they are specifically targeted by the Rack and roll the drying option, or is it any 3 regardless of how they learn the information?

Basically, is the game over if someone says 'BLAH is the Rack!'
      KoN (S5) TLDR (S3), CIN & PAN (tournie)