US Artifact Names

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Would you like to know what’s going on in the Tournament 2017 Finals?
    Keep yourself updated by reading "The Corner"!

• @Muchacho
      I think the idea is that these artifacts ARE from times before/concurrent to the Roman Empire. That kinda goes with the idea of artifacts. As for the syntax errors, sorry, I put this up just before bed. As for the gilded plumb line not being something practical... That's the idea, right? It's a SPECIAL plumb line. There's only 5 in the world after all! With that said, I'm not married to any of my ideas. I just wanted to vouch for artifactier names, so I put up a few quick ideas along with te old ones for ones I either A) thought were fine or B) was too tired to come up with one for. I was hoping for more suggestions if people like my approach.
      Also, I think Echo said what I tried to, just a lot better. I like to feel like I'm moving some big, magic, ancient artifact to my village, something that should feel rare and a bit unnatural or uncommon.

(Also, why are we still discussing US vs UK English? We get it, if you're in India or Europe, you learn UK. If you're in North/South America or East Asia, you learn US. Unless seeing artefact is you're #1 concern, this seems kinda irrelevant to the thread.)
    • Watching the discussion evolve, I'm thinking that the best thing to do here is to develop a new list of artefact names, and then present HQ either with that one list, or with two alternatives - the old names from before the change, and our new list.

I propose that once we've discussed this for a while longer and once suggestions for new names have stopped coming in, I'll make a post with all the alternatives suggested for each name, and people can send me their votes for which name they like best for each artefact, or post their preferences here, and I'll tally everything - then we can vote yay or nay on the resulting list.

Any objections to this proposal?
      And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
      - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez
    • Meherrin wrote:

Watching the discussion evolve, I'm thinking that the best thing to do here is to develop a new list of artefact names, and then present HQ either with that one list, or with two alternatives - the old names from before the change, and our new list.

I propose that once we've discussed this for a while longer and once suggestions for new names have stopped coming in, I'll make a post with all the alternatives suggested for each name, and people can send me their votes for which name they like best for each artefact, or post their preferences here, and I'll tally everything - then we can vote yay or nay on the resulting list.

Yeah. That sounds great. But I think the first issue is that we have to decide which of the two approaches we will take.

Do we prefer having a different artifact for each tier, or just:
      Small (name)
      Large (name)
      (historical person's) (name)

Also, as another note, I really don't like the idea of a telescope as the scout artifact. The US translations all represent some form or intercepted enemy information, or strategy. When I think scouts, I think of people sneaking in to a village and mingling with the inhabitants, gathering intel. Not 5000 guys on the next hill over huddled around one telescope.
    • Meherrin wrote:

Watching the discussion evolve, I'm thinking that the best thing to do here is to develop a new list of artefact names, and then present HQ either with that one list, or with two alternatives - the old names from before the change, and our new list.

Yup, I don't think voting on each name for each artifact would be a good idea. It could get weird and inconsistent formatting. Say we voted (on the current suggestions), we could end up with something weird like:

Builders Small Secret
      Giant Marble Hammer
      Vitruvius Unique Secret

and

Opal Horseshoe
      Soldiers Large Boots
      Attila's Great Boots

I think it would be of more use to figure out a format prior to discussing specific names: Do we want the adjectives in for all of them? Some of them? Uniques only? Should we be using historical names? Should each level of artifacts for one type have a different name?

I'm not married to Armour's specific names (I do like a lot of them) but I am a fan of the format/method.

Kurtz wrote:

We learnt ... from [Kimmie]!

FA Belladonna wrote:

Kurtz, the horse is dead, please stop beating it.
    • Voting on the names will not mean that those would be the names selected when sent to HQ. The best thing will be to give a selection of the top choices and those would be the ones forwarded. Again, this does not mean that they would be the only ones to chose from but it would offer up a selection to those who make the decision.
      Forum User Guide
      Please contact in game Support for in game issues.
    • Armour_US wrote:

• @Muchacho
      I think the idea is that these artifacts ARE from times before/concurrent to the Roman Empire. That kinda goes with the idea of artifacts. As for the syntax errors, sorry, I put this up just before bed. As for the gilded plumb line not being something practical... That's the idea, right? It's a SPECIAL plumb line. There's only 5 in the world after all! With that said, I'm not married to any of my ideas. I just wanted to vouch for artifactier names, so I put up a few quick ideas along with te old ones for ones I either A) thought were fine or B) was too tired to come up with one for. I was hoping for more suggestions if people like my approach.
      Also, I think Echo said what I tried to, just a lot better. I like to feel like I'm moving some big, magic, ancient artifact to my village, something that should feel rare and a bit unnatural or uncommon.

(Also, why are we still discussing US vs UK English? We get it, if you're in India or Europe, you learn UK. If you're in North/South America or East Asia, you learn US. Unless seeing artefact is you're #1 concern, this seems kinda irrelevant to the thread.)
      I'm definately not opposed to naming artefacts to something that was BEFORE the time of Travian.
      But Sun Tzu was way after, so were King Arthur and the application of gold on other metals. (Though I like the creative thinking: plumbing lines are still something that stink, and it doesn't really do much for structural integrity)

If we were to incorporate Germanic Gods, Gallic Gods and Roman Gods into it... we might have a bit more merrit.
      Making them Divine Artefacts.
      Like:
      - Unique Speed: Wotan's Spurs.
      - Unique Trainer: Mars' Fury.
      - Unique Diet: Rosmerta's Horn.

ECH0 wrote:

What time period is Travian set in by the way?
      From around 100 BC to roughly 400 AD.
      Give or take a few years.
      at 58 BC the Roman Empire started to concentrate on Ancient Europe (Gallica and Germania).
      So from that time all three were in war together.

Mod/MH/SH (aug 2007 - feb 2010) // MH (sept 2015)

The post was edited 2 times, last by Muchacho NL ().

• Muchacho NL wrote:

Armour_US wrote:

• @Muchacho

I'm definately not opposed to naming artefacts to something that was BEFORE the time of Travian.But Sun Tzu was way after, so were King Arthur and the application of gold on other metals. (Though I like the creative thinking: plumbing lines are still something that stink, and it doesn't really do much for structural integrity)

If we were to incorporate Germanic Gods, Gallic Gods and Roman Gods into it... we might have a bit more merrit.
      Like:

ECH0 wrote:

From around 100 BC to roughly 400 AD.Give or take a few years.
      at 58 BC the Roman Empire started to concentrate on Ancient Europe (Gallica and Germania).
      Thank you, I asked because I'm pretty sure Sun Tzu would be way before that...

Kurtz wrote:

We learnt ... from [Kimmie]!

FA Belladonna wrote:

Kurtz, the horse is dead, please stop beating it.
    • Muchacho NL wrote:

Armour_US wrote:

• @Muchacho

I'm definately not opposed to naming artefacts to something that was BEFORE the time of Travian.But Sun Tzu was way after, so were King Arthur and the application of gold on other metals. (Though I like the creative thinking: plumbing lines are still something that stink, and it doesn't really do much for structural integrity)

Like:

ECH0 wrote:

From around 100 BC to roughly 400 AD.Give or take a few years.
      So this thread has been busy. The general time frame of the Roman Empire seems acceptable given how little of Travian lore has ever been published.

I only brought up UK vs US English because I know a few people who loathe the Artefact spelling. It is always important to at least hear all sides of an issue, even if we disagree.

My major concern in trying to rename is getting HQ to agree. I think the "new" (at least to the US domain) names are ridiculous and need to go.

While I love Sun Tzu, my understanding is that his writings were not well known outside of China until the modern era. Hence why I refrained from using him. Likewise King Arthur is at least more myth than fact as he is generally known. Though if real he potentially fits in with the late Empire. I also think anything that doesn't really fit the Roman / Germanic / Gallic mold should be avoided. The nice thing is the Egyptians could be included even without being in the regular game, since they became a Roman ruled territory. The use of the Huns is a bit more iffy but they were also major opponents of the last vestiges of Rome circa 400ish AD. They would have also come into conflict with the Tuetons (Germanic) and Gallic peoples. So even if not directly in the regular game an argument can be made to include them. They could also simply be excluded now and perhaps be utilized for new Artefacts in the future. (which would be nice)

I don't know nearly enough about Germanic or Gallic Gods but if we did use them, then they should apply only to the Unique items I would think. Unless we can go through the Pantheons and find lesser gods for the small and large items.

I know someone specifically said something about the telescope for spies. I agree but I was basing it off the image that they have for the Artefact. My assumption being that if it fit with the current images it would be more likely to be accepted. Of course I didn't apply that uniformly across the board. Much in the way I didn't apply the '.
    • Fair points with King Arthur, though one part of me wants to say that him being legend almost makes it seem more mystical. Though my assumption was that the artifacts were intentionally not Roman, Gaul, or Germanic up this point. By having them outside the standard set of these three cultures, they felt a bit foreign and exotic without feeling out of place chronologically.

As for the plumb line, I'm not personally attached to the suggestion but, again, I don't think realism is a to throw an idea out. It's a magical artifact that has only been found hidden in five ancient Natar cities. It's so magical, that it will make your measurements so perfect that you buildings will stand stronger and walls will lock perfectly. I'm fine with the artifacts being little mystical.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Armour_US ().

• m.hudson wrote:

UK & US translations used to be handled by me (although credit for the artifact names must go to my predecessors) however they were recently taken and replaced with a single english set of translations. The reason behind this was the cost of maintaining 4 sets of near identical language sets.

If the US domain can come up with a full list of more imaginative names i can put it to HQ as a replacement for all current artifacts it will then be down to HQ to decide.
      I'd be willing to check and suggest edits for all of the English translations in this game. The COM words don't make sense to a native English speaker, and it drove me batty trying to figure out why some things in the Tournie were named so oddly.

As a Canadian, I'm flexible with language...we have a hybrid of American and British usage here, but we're generally bombarded with American media. The translations in game on COM aren't a matter of simply being flexible, though. They're simply absurd.
      KoN (S5) TLDR (S3), CIN & PAN (tournie)
    • Regarding artifact names:

I don't believe that artifact names need to reflect the time period or culture of the tribes in game. An artifact is defined as something of historical or cultural significance. This means that artifacts should predate the tribes in question, or at least not be 'younger'.

Using this definition, anything related to Sun Tzu absolutely could be considered an artifact to any of the tribes in question. Same goes for King Arthur. Some of the current US names do fit the definition proper.

Having said that, I'll brainstorm some names for fun if I get done time. The one name possibility that jumps out at me right off the bat is somehow renaming the wall strength arti after Hadrian.
      KoN (S5) TLDR (S3), CIN & PAN (tournie)
    • Muchacho NL wrote:

I may have been mistaken about Sun Tzu, but I KNOW King Arthur originates from the late 500's, early 600's AD.
      100-200 years AFTER the fall of the Roman Empire, and reforming of Gaul and Germanic territories.

Well, yes and no. The texts - written long after the period in question - seem to situate Arthur (who was probably not a real character, although the legends about him may have been based on one or more actual warlords from the period) somewhere about a generation after the time of the withdrawal of the Romans from Britain and the incursions of the Angles and Saxons, so from around the middle of the 5th century onwards (i.e., 450-500 ACE). Some of the stories have Arthur marching an army off to capture Rome and become Emperor.

The Roman Empire was falling apart concurrently with this, however, with the first sack of Rome by nomads in 410. The Western empire didn't really collapse completely until the end of the 5th century, and of course the Eastern empire, ruled from Constantinople, continued for quite some time after that.

However, the first of the texts which form the basis of the Arthurian legends did not appear until the 6th century - Gildas' De Excidio Brittaniae, ca. 540 - though it was describing events set some years earlier.
      And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    • Personally I'm fine with the old names we had. I also like the idea of renaming some of them to fit a little better, as long as we get rid of the COM translations. I want to say thank you to m.hudson for letting us attempt to put this together for HQ and thank you to Meh for agreeing to help. Also, a thank you to Kerzi for her willingness to help go through the game and find a proper middle ground.

As for my personal opinion I have to agree with Ech0 and Armour that I like the more mystical suggestions. For me, the sound of picking up something more mystical is a little more exciting.
    • Muchacho NL wrote:

Gilded Plumb Line? Romans used lead for plumbing, they wouldn't waste Gold on that, they weren't THAT rich.
      A plumb line is a construction tool. It's a small weight on a cord used to make sure structures are plumb (vertical). It has nothing to do with pipes. Although it is also used to measure the depth of water ("plumbing the depths").
      The Diary of Sun Tzu, the guy wasn't even born back then. It's not like he inherited it, he wrote it.
      Sun Tzu predates the Roman Empire by 500 years, that seems to be appropriate timing for an artifact.
      But whatever we decide upon: use the apostrophe correctly.
      Don't ignore it at some names, and use it at other names.

So Builder's Small Secret and Vitruvius' Unique Secret
      I actually like the idea of the unique artifacts all using the format Bar of Foo, rather than Foo's Bar (which also avoids the issue of Vitruvius' vs. Vitruvius's)
      S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie S5-r3 Tyche S7-r3 Chuckles
      S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country S5-r7 Office Space S19-r2 The Joker
      S19-r3 Chuckles
    • I have been waiting to see if anyone had anything else to say, but Discussion appears to have died down on this topic.

I am going to compile a list of names suggested, grouping the artefacts by function. Then once we see the various suggestions, we can discuss specifics, or decide what to do next....

I rather like the suggestion that all the unique names should have the same format, rather than some being so-and-so's artefact and others being artefact of so-and-so, so I'm going to do a little editing on sone of these.

Please be patient, my health is a bit shakey these days and i'm not always up to doing things.
    • Tineren wrote:

Muchacho NL wrote:

Gilded Plumb Line? Romans used lead for plumbing, they wouldn't waste Gold on that, they weren't THAT rich.
      A plumb line is a construction tool. It's a small weight on a cord used to make sure structures are plumb (vertical). It has nothing to do with pipes. Although it is also used to measure the depth of water ("plumbing the depths").
      My mental connection went: Plumb -> plumber -> plumbing... eeeewwww, why use gold to wash away your poo. :p

But it should've been: Plumb -> Plumbum = Lead -> Oh, THAT!
      Dumbest part is that I actually use that thing from time to time, but our word translates back to 'shoot lead'. I just made the wrong connection :D

Mod/MH/SH (aug 2007 - feb 2010) // MH (sept 2015)