US Artifact Names

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• US Artifact Names

I understand that with this whole consolidation thing, we needed to make all the naming conventions across English servers the same. My only question is, does it have to be the COM translations? I read the names of artifacts and it just makes me feel like I'm playing some sketchy early 2000s game that ran everything through Google translate. And I can't imagine that's the image Travian wants to project. It'd be one thing if the artifacts had descriptive names or didn't already have a good translation. But someone clearly put in the the effort to come up with clever names for the US server, and the COM translations like "Rivals slight confusion" are both poorly capitalized and incredibly uninformative. Every little detail of the COM translation seems to have been done by a non-native speaker, and every interface has some awkward misuse of syntax, wording, or capitalization. It makes the game feel a lot less polished, despite nothing actually being different, which again, I'd assume is not something Travian wants players to feel. I realize this is a tiny little detail I'm getting way too concerned about, so I'll just get to it: what are the odds of switching to a better translation or at least having some one modernize the current one? Travian is clearly putting a lot of effort into appeal and polish, as indicated by the visual updates. I think this would be a much easier and more impactful change.
    • Armour_US wrote:

I understand that with this whole consolidation thing, we needed to make all the naming conventions across English servers the same. My only question is, does it have to be the COM translations? I read the names of artifacts and it just makes me feel like I'm playing some sketchy early 2000s game that ran everything through Google translate. And I can't imagine that's the image Travian wants to project. It'd be one thing if the artifacts had descriptive names or didn't already have a good translation. But someone clearly put in the the effort to come up with clever names for the US server, and the COM translations like "Rivals slight confusion" are both poorly capitalized and incredibly uninformative. Every little detail of the COM translation seems to have been done by a non-native speaker, and every interface has some awkward misuse of syntax, wording, or capitalization. It makes the game feel a lot less polished, despite nothing actually being different, which again, I'd assume is not something Travian wants players to feel. I realize this is a tiny little detail I'm getting way too concerned about, so I'll just get to it: what are the odds of switching to a better translation or at least having some one modernize the current one? Travian is clearly putting a lot of effort into appeal and polish, as indicated by the visual updates. I think this would be a much easier and more impactful change.

I must admit, I miss the names from the .us domain. If we can't have those, at least can we have something more interesting and less awkward?
      And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
      - The Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti, Joan Baez
    • UK & US translations used to be handled by me (although credit for the artifact names must go to my predecessors) however they were recently taken and replaced with a single english set of translations. The reason behind this was the cost of maintaining 4 sets of near identical language sets.

If the US domain can come up with a full list of more imaginative names i can put it to HQ as a replacement for all current artifacts it will then be down to HQ to decide.
      CM mhudson
      Community Manager
      Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78
    • The U.S. is the largest English country in the world. I'd imagine American English is the largest plurality among English speakers on Travian. The translations should reflect that in some part (plus, non-native English speakers are going to be exposed to American English in media more than any other kind of English, so it still makes sense for those that are learning the language or have recently done).
    • Ok, let's be constructive about this. Why don't we put together a list of suggestions for better artifact names for m.hudson to present to HQ?

I volunteer to collate suggestions into a single organised document, if folks will post what they want suggested in this thread.
      And now I'll tell you what's against us, an art that's lived for centuries. Go through the years and you will find what's blackened all of history. Against us is the law with its immensity of strength and power - against us is the law! Police know how to make a man a guilty or an innocent. Against us is the power of police! The shameless lies that men have told will ever more be paid in gold - against us is the power of the gold! Against us is racial hatred and the simple fact that we are poor.
    • Meherrin wrote:

Ok, let's be constructive about this. Why don't we put together a list of suggestions for better artifact names for m.hudson to present to HQ?

I volunteer to collate suggestions into a single organised document, if folks will post what they want suggested in this thread.
      Thank you Merherrin for offering to collate the suggestions into a single organized document. I know that m.hudson will definitely forward it on to HQ once it is done.

Please feel free to reach out to the sMods if you need some assistance and we will be happy to help you if we can.
    • Meherrin wrote:

Ok, let's be constructive about this. Why don't we put together a list of suggestions for better artifact names for m.hudson to present to HQ?

Well my suggestion is for all servers to use the US artifact names. I think all servers would like those names more.

I dont think we need to choose new names.
      US1- Chef Follardi

US3- Folito Lopez
    • Son of a Peach wrote:

The U.S. is the largest English country in the world. I'd imagine American English is the largest plurality among English speakers on Travian. The translations should reflect that in some part (plus, non-native English speakers are going to be exposed to American English in media more than any other kind of English, so it still makes sense for those that are learning the language or have recently done).
      I don't think you could be any further from the truth. It may be the largest English speaking country, but US English is hardly the most commonly used language in Travian. Maybe in movies, games and series, but everything else is more likely to be UK English rather than US English. Since schools only teach US English in... the US.

Doesn't negate your point that the US artefact names might be better, though. But it's a false superiority you're projecting here.

Meherrin wrote:

This is a much better suggestion rather than to just claim superiority and do nothing with it.

Mod/MH/SH (aug 2007 - feb 2010) // MH (sept 2015)
    • Foley?_COM wrote:

Meherrin wrote:

Well my suggestion is for all servers to use the US artifact names. I think all servers would like those names more.
      I dont think we need to choose new names.
      I was never really sold on all of the US Artifact names. Though I did like the use of historical / mythological figures for the Unique Artifacts.

One other question beside the actual names is whether to use "Artifact" or "Artefact" as the proper spelling. This of course is a matter of British vs American English. While I am an American myself, as a wanna be historian I see the effects of colonialism leading to British English being more common. Of course even among those two broad categories there are countless variations among them. In short, there is no true global version of English. This would tend to support the necessity of allowing players to select names based off their locality. That unfortunately seems to be off the table due to "costs" though. I don't really care which, though my spell checker loathes the Artefact spelling.

My general suggestion are names that are both functional and realistic in nature. The idea of a Diamond Chisel improving the building strength of my village always seemed odd. Though at the same time the unique artefacts would be best served by something unique and in order to do so may not end up in line with my prior suggestion for the small and large artefacts.

I will do some thinking and see what I can put together.
    • So I've been tapping away, doing a little research here and there. My goal here was to have functinonal and relatively realistic names for the small and large Artifacts. At the same time I wanted the Unique names to reflect important figures from the tribes included in the game. I did include the Egyptians and Huns in this, because while they are limited to the Birthday server I can see them moving to regular servers. And at the very least they are relatively close to the other figures in both space and time. I do not consider this to be a final list of suggestions but they are a good starting point.

Building Strength
      Builders Small Secret - Village 4x
      Builders Large Secret - Account 3x
      Vitruvius Unique Secret - Account 5x

Vitruvius is a famous Roman Architect/builder

Great Warehouse/Great Granary
      Drafters Small Sketch - Village
      Drafters Large Sketch - Account

Cranny
      Architects Small Labyrinth - Village 200%
      Architects Large Labyrinth - Account 100%
      Hemiunu’s Great Labyrinth - Unique 500%

Hemiunu is believed to have designed the Great Pyramid

Troop Speed
      Soldiers Small Boots - Village 2x
      Soldiers Large Boots - Account 1.5x
      Attila’s Great Boots - Unique 2x

Scout
      Scouts Small Telescope - 5x
      Scouts Large Telescope - 3x
      ? - Unique 10x

Crop Consumption
      Farmers Small Platter - Village 50%
      Farmers Large Platter - Account 25%
      ? - Unique 50%

Training Time
      General’s Small Levy - Village 50%
      General’s Large Levy - Account 25%
      Vercingetorixs’ Levy - Unique 50%

Vercingetorix - Gallic Leader who fought Caesar

Mischief
      Pendant of Mischief - Positive or Negative effects
      Caesar's Commentaries - Only positive effects are possible
    • BlackBlade wrote:

Crop Consumption
      ? - Unique 50%
      Cato wrote a treatise on farming methods and practices - maybe that would make his name a hood choice the Unique crop consumption artefact?

Cato's Great Platter?
    • BlackBlade wrote:

So I've been tapping away, doing a little research here and there. My goal here was to have functinonal and relatively realistic names for the small and large Artifacts. At the same time I wanted the Unique names to reflect important figures from the tribes included in the game. I did include the Egyptians and Huns in this, because while they are limited to the Birthday server I can see them moving to regular servers. And at the very least they are relatively close to the other figures in both space and time. I do not consider this to be a final list of suggestions but they are a good starting point.

Building Strength
      Builders Small Secret - Village 4x
      Builders Large Secret - Account 3x
      Vitruvius Unique Secret - Account 5x

Vitruvius is a famous Roman Architect/builder

Great Warehouse/Great Granary
      Drafters Small Sketch - Village
      Drafters Large Sketch - Account

Cranny
      Architects Small Labyrinth - Village 200%
      Architects Large Labyrinth - Account 100%
      Hemiunu’s Great Labyrinth - Unique 500%

Hemiunu is believed to have designed the Great Pyramid

Troop Speed
      Soldiers Small Boots - Village 2x
      Soldiers Large Boots - Account 1.5x
      Attila’s Great Boots - Unique 2x

Scout
      Scouts Small Telescope - 5x
      Scouts Large Telescope - 3x
      ? - Unique 10x

Crop Consumption
      ? - Unique 50%

Training Time
      General’s Small Levy - Village 50%
      General’s Large Levy - Account 25%
      Vercingetorixs’ Levy - Unique 50%

Vercingetorix - Gallic Leader who fought Caesar

Mischief
      Pendant of Mischief - Positive or Negative effects
      Caesar's Commentaries - Only positive effects are possible

Meherrin wrote:

BlackBlade wrote:

Crop Consumption
      ? - Unique 50%
      Cato wrote a treatise on farming methods and practices - maybe that would make his name a hood choice the Unique crop consumption artefact?
      Cato's Great Platter?
      I would suggest using the word 'Unique' when naming Unique artifacts just to avoid confusion.

Like "Cato's Unique Platter" or "Attila's Unique Boots".
      AU - Super Moderator
      US - Moderator, Support, Multihunter
    • While I like your suggestions Black Blade, for me personally... I'm not a huge fan of the descriptive titles. It makes it feel like I'm just picking up a buff. Buy when I'm capturing the Diary of Sun Tzu or a Golden Chariot, it feels much more like I'm pulling in some magical object to my village. I know that sounds kind of odd and intangible, but the idea behind game development is to make the game feel more... special.

I personally have always really liked a majority of the US names, though a few were confusing; in particular: the Diamond Chisel, Tale of a Rat, and Bottomless Satchel. I think we could do to replace those, but other than that I think we should use what we had before unless we come up with something better. And while I am also a history fan, I feel some of Black Blade's unique suggestions just don't roll off the tongue well. In English Hemiunu and Vercingetorix take quite a few attempts to even say in your head the first time you see them. I do like Attila though, and Pheidippides was one of the... odder names in the US translation. I'd be in favor of Attila's War Saddle for the Unique Speed artifact.

As for US vs UK, as far as I've seen, the only difference that is actually a quirk of the dialects is artifact vs artefact. Which I'm really pretty indifferent about. I'm more bothered by some of the sections that just feel... un-English. For example, in the marketplace, the tabs read "Buy" and "Offer." I've never seen a situation where buy wasn't paired with sell and purchase wasn't paired with offer. It just feels off. Also, in the barracks, it now reads "present 100" instead of "Available: 100". Not only does that lack of capitalization feel inappropriate, but the use of the work present without a colon doesn't sit comfortably.

Back to the artifact issue, I appreciate offering to let us compile our own artifact names. As I said, If I had my way, the names would be suggestive of function, but not explicitly descriptive. Though I realize I'm just one voice so if we end up going the other way, I'm fine with that as well. I'll throw out some of my ideas:

Building strength
      Gilded Plumb Line - Small
      Giant Marble Hammer - Large
      Hemon's Scrolls - Unique

Speed
      Opal Horseshoe - Small
      Golden Chariot - Large
      Attila's War Saddle - Unique

Scout
      Tale of a Turncoat - Small (maybe Logbook of a Traitor? A Rat's Yarn? This one is hard, but it took me a while to get what "Tale of a Rat" was implying. I think Tale of a Rat still flows the best though)
      General's Letter - Large
      Diary of Sun Tzu - Unique

Wheat
      Silver Platter - Small
      Sacred Hunting Bow - Large
      King Arthur's Chalice - Unique

Trainer
      Scribed Soldier's Oath - Small
      Declaration of War - Large
      Memoirs of Alexander the Great - Unique

GG/GW
      Builder's Sketch - Small
      Babylonian Tablet - Large

Cranny
      Map of the Hidden Caverns - Small
      Trojan Horse - Large
      Theseus' Labyrinth Key - Unique (A reference to the Labyrinth at Knossos in Classical Greek literature)

Fool
      Pendant of Mischief - Small
      The Key of Solomon - Unique (A reference to medieval magic and sorcery)
    • I feel more for BlackBlade's descriptions than for Armour's descriptions.

Why?
      Because it's full of materials and names that did not exist in the timeframe Travian is supposed to be set in, nor with the playable races.

If and when Egyptians and Huns are accepted on Vanilla servers, we can think of names like Atilla's War Saddle, or Imothep's Curse (for Fool artefact).
      But come on... Trojan Horse, Key of Solomon, Theseus' Labyrinth Key, King Arthur's Chalice, Gilded Plumb Line? Romans used lead for plumbing, they wouldn't waste Gold on that, they weren't THAT rich.
      The Diary of Sun Tzu, the guy wasn't even born back then. It's not like he inherited it, he wrote it.

But whatever we decide upon: use the apostrophe correctly.
      Don't ignore it at some names, and use it at other names.

So Builder's Small Secret and Vitruvius' Unique Secret

EDIT: Can't seem to find a proper name who was famous for scouting

The post was edited 5 times, last by Muchacho NL ().

• Muchacho NL wrote:

I don't think you could be any further from the truth. It may be the largest English speaking country, but US English is hardly the most commonly used language in Travian. Maybe in movies, games and series, but everything else is more likely to be UK English rather than US English. Since schools only teach US English in... the US.
      Doesn't negate your point that the US artefact names might be better, though. But it's a false superiority you're projecting here.
      Meh, anyone not super wealthy will tell you they learned English from American media. It's not superior, but it's definitely the most prolific. There's only one language written on the moon ;)
    • As a child I may have learned the basics from cartoons like Batman and The Amazing Spider-Man, and yes, that was US English.

However, starting High School and late Elementary School, the original teaching was all UK English.
      Had some problems and points reduced for my pronunciation of "can't" in my first year of High School, because it was American, not English.
      Our poverty stricken families did not have TVs back then, so they started fresh on UK English in school.

• I prefer Armour's to Black's. I like the variety for each level of the artifact (instead of just saying it's small or large). I too like the idea that they are magical artifacts found that enhance your abilities. I feel that some of Black's descriptions don't meld well for being an artifact. I'm trying to imagine an army carrying a labyrinth or a secret with them. I do like the idea of the names but I find that Armour's names are much easier to pronounce, spell, and memorize as well as being more well known.

What time period is Travian set in by the way?

Kurtz wrote:

We learnt ... from [Kimmie]!

FA Belladonna wrote:

Kurtz, the horse is dead, please stop beating it.