mobile app

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Would you like to know what’s going on in the Tournament 2017 Finals?
    Keep yourself updated by reading "The Corner"!

• BBQ wrote:

Also you have to think of the new kids that happen to be looking for a strategy war game, if they don't update the looks every few years people are going to play one that has more eye candy.
      :D Joke of the month, seriously.
      What new kids? When was it last time you saw a 13-year old in any chats? "New kids" don't understand the concept of browser game, at all. Until TG makes mobile app there will be no new kids to think about.
    • They are NOT official TG applications, not affiliated in any way and technically are illegal to use. If you are not targeting teenagers you just admitting you are ready to die and frankly the new design and often (not always) the way members are treated suggest the opposite.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ELE ().

• ELE wrote:

They are NOT official TG applications, not affiliated in any way and technically are illegal to use.
      Please check your information.

While they are not produced by TravianGames themselves they are both designed in close discussion with TG. They have been checked and approved for use by TG and are the only two legal applications.
      CM mhudson
      Community Manager
      Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78
    • Then this is another HUGE failure of your marketing department. Pardon my arrogance, but if I had no idea these are legal, TG approved applications, 80% of English speaking players have no idea.

The application have never been advertised in game. This is first time I see them mentioned as an answer for mobile up requests, even in #asktravian, first episode, the question about mobile apps was answered "negative".
    • Again I will say these are THIRD PARTY apps that are TOLERATED by TravianGames. They are not officially supported by TG but they have been approved for use.

It nothing to do with our marketing department as they are not a TG application however they were announced back in 2014 in a blog and forum announcements and have been mentioned in blogs and videos since then also.

TG are not going to advertise an application they do not own or profit from directly
      CM mhudson
      Community Manager

• m.hudson wrote:

It nothing to do with our marketing department as they are not a TG application however they were announced back in 2014 in a blog and forum announcements and have been mentioned in blogs and videos since then also.
      It absolutely does. It is their job to find acceptable way to make people aware about such legal option. Blog is dead zone, no point even mention it, whatever videos mentioned them were probably in some dead zone as well. If TG does not promote the application in anyway, they as good as not existing, so we back to square one, you ignore most promising audience.

If TG prefers to accumulate losses with shrinking players population instead of promoting affiliated resources which could help stabilize and increase it ..... what can I say? Good luck.
    • If that will generate me income? No doubt.

I honestly don't know why travian would not just buy the app, but that is more complected and required more money most likely.

There are things that would cost travian near nothing. Like putting an exception line in rules for example or throwing an ad in game every now and then etc. I have never said travian should spend money promoting the apps.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ELE ().

• For a game/tech company I reckon an app would fall under the purview of the IT department. Marketing would then be responsible for promoting it and helping to increase usage, or whatever they want people to do with it.

Affiliate marketing could be a possibility (we promote your app, you give us x% of earnings/commision from those players who we sent to your app), though I haven't used this myself in my line of work to know how well it would work for Travian. I noticed it's something Travian does use, but only aimed at the desktop game.

As is usually the case though, it comes down to priorities. IT/Marketing may have other more important priorities, like fixing bugs or promoting the game in general. While I would be an advocate for a mobile app, I can see reasons for pushing an app up/down the priority list.
      "It’s only when the tide goes out that you see who was swimming naked."

#MakeTravianGreatAgain #MTGA
    • As has been previously explained. The state of the game coding is not conducive to a fully supported application (Unlike Travian: Kingdoms where core coding was rewritten from the ground up)

The cost of TG developing their own application would be significantly higher than the financial benefit to be gained based on the fact the entire game code would need to be rewritten first to enable mobile support.

A company is not going to spend money on something that will make a loss right from the start. Yes after n years an application might make a small profit but that financial risk is not worth taking.
      CM mhudson
      Community Manager

• Destiny and destiny companion app.

Probably the most successful 3rd party app there is. Look that up Ele, might help you to understand

At the end of the day it isn't the community leaders who have turned around and said "let's not do a mobile app because so and so wants one"

If it was I would find it even funnier I won't lie!

Most 'companion' apps that run with main line Xbox, ps & pc games are run by third parties, and they do a fantastic job.

The best example is kiriloid for travian I reckon. A third party developer that has made a massive effort for the benefit of the players. The website gives so much information and is helpful but does so within the rules of the game so it is accepted by travian as useable within the rules. The apps adhere to the same rules, you can make your own app if you like.
    • m.hudson wrote:

Again I will say these are THIRD PARTY apps that are TOLERATED by TravianGames. They are not officially supported by TG but they have been approved for use.

TG are not going to advertise an application they do not own or profit from directly
      "Use of software that enables what is referred to as “data mining” or in anyother manner intercepting or gathering information related to the game. "

That is a statement directly taken from Travian Rules. -- Can you point out the part where it say's these applications are "tolerated".

And let's look at another?

• § 3. Use of external programs
      • Travian: Legends must be played using an unmodified, conventional browser. The use of scripts and/or bots to automate actions on the account or to resemble premium features is forbidden.
      Since when are either of these app's Unmodified Browsers?

Either it's against the rules or it's not. Then rules certainly seem to make them out to be entirely illegal - which is why I think it's pretty safe to assume player's feel unsure about using them.

As for the claims about Travian not directly profiting from these applications - from my understanding both of the listed apps are non-profit - I.e. all tehy do is act as a better UI for player's to access Travian. -- Where they then can go onto buy gold and directly create profit for TG.
    • TravianGames HQ have stated publicly (and this was announced on the old forum more than once) that the Travile and Travmobile applications are the only two approved and tolerated third party applications for the game.

(in much the same way that gettertools and killroid webpages are tolerated as the developers comply with all HQs requirements and don't add new features without contacting the company to discuss first whereas other similar tools are not permitted) I would suspect that there has been a financial agreement somewhere along the lines giving the application developers access to the travian coding and servers. (unlike script and bot developers).

Here is the TG blog interviewing the Travile creator

Your understanding is incorrect. The apps are not free. You only get a free trial
      CM mhudson
      Community Manager

• m.hudson wrote:

TravianGames HQ have stated publicly (and this was announced on the old forum more than once) that the Travile and Travmobile applications are the only two approved and tolerated third party applications for the game.

(in much the same way that gettertools and killroid webpages are tolerated as the developers comply with all HQs requirements and don't add new features without contacting the company to discuss first whereas other similar tools are not permitted) I would suspect that there has been a financial agreement somewhere along the lines giving the application developers access to the travian coding and servers. (unlike script and bot developers).

Here is the TG blog interviewing the Travile creator

Your understanding is incorrect. The apps are not free. You only get a free trial

Even still, I hope you can see why some people don't feel confident using effectively an unsupported browser to play - when the punishments are as harsh as they are.

For those who are not active on the Forums how are they meant to know this? And even then - I'd like to think I'm quite active on here and this is the first I've heard of it.

As for Kirilloid and Getter - even if they broke any rules, let's face it - what could Travian do to stop them? They're 3rd party site's which don't interact with the server's. All Getter does is pull population data.
    • I am not sure why you explain me what I already understand. I do understand (thanks to smart people I play with) that developing proper app is not possible on current running platform. You don't need to repeat again and again that apps mentioned are third party. Everyone got this too.

Official travian rules forbid ANY usage of third party scripts and the like. There are no exceptions. I have never bothered to check app store because whatever I would found there is illegal according to the rules. The fact that TG has internal guidelines not to apply the rules to certain apps does not matter. The fact that it was mentioned on barely visited blog does not matter. Even casual reference from stuff members does not matter much. I downloaded the app, it is useful but not critical. I would not mind spending $3 for little convenience it offers, but as long as it is not stated anywhere officially as exception to the rules the convenience does not overweight the risk of my account being banned. This is NOT the main point however.

Players’ population is shrinking. People are leaving the game and this is normal. Life is changing, some lose interest, and some don’t have time. Travian is huge time commitment and just a hobby, so when you need to cut something it goes first. There are no new comers and this is NOT normal. It is obvious that app store is one of the places people look for new games and not the small portion. Anecdotal evidence around me suggest that teenagers do not look for such thing as browser game at all and many adults play mainly on mobile devices. If travian is not represented in app store, travian has its’ doors locked for many, if not majority, potential new customers. If travian is represented by third party app which is not promoted the door maybe not locked but still closed.

Marketing is not zero sum game. If 100 new players spent $3 to download the app, my bet is they will spend more than $3 on average playing the game.

Last but not least. Do you understand how pathetic it sounds that someone solo created an app (and I fully understand that it is not proper app, rather a substitute, but still) and TG says they don’t have resources to do the same?
    • m.hudson wrote:

(in much the same way that gettertools and killroid webpages are tolerated as the developers comply with all HQs requirements and don't add new features without contacting the company to discuss first whereas other similar tools are not permitted)
      Side topic. In what way you think TG can possible NOT tolerate kirilloid or getter? Next step is to say TG tolerates Excel or Word. Usage of these tools does not violate any rules. Getter uses the data file released but TG daily for public use and kirilloid does not use even that. Both (and many more) make the game more playable i.e. attract more people but TG "tolerates" them. Duh.
    • They can stop releasing the map files that getter rely on. Kirilloid is slightly different as I believe its owned by a team member but as with any website there are laws and regulations that need to be followed. If HQ deemed it a threat to their intellectual property they can apply for a take down notice
      CM mhudson
      Community Manager

The post was edited 1 time, last by m.hudson ().

• As for the rules/ToS text, I think it should be updated somehow. I understand, it might need some legal work to find a proper wordings, but currently it states "only normal browser is allowed", which might be confusing for users.
      Not everyone will go and read all announcements and blog posts to see whether there are amendments.

m.hudson wrote:

in much the same way that gettertools and killroid webpages are tolerated as the developers comply with all HQs requirements and don't add new features without contacting the company to discuss first whereas other similar tools are not permitted.
      This is a little offtopic, but since people are asking me...
      First of all, when it become forbidden to have ads on fan-sites, I stopped monetizing my project by showing ads mostly because the amount of money was too small. Maybe, I'm just bad at selling ads, but that's another story. Of course, if it were decent sum, I'd negotiate with TG to have healthy and mutually beneficial balance. For example, I could allow text-only ads, which would result in ads with everything but other browser games and everyone might be happy. AFAIR later TG allowed again to have ads on fan-sites, but now it doesn't matter for me.

Another thing is "comply with all HQs requirements" might look like I'm a mere marionette who cannot make a single step w/o "higher approval". The field for my tools is such that it's hard to violate rules. For most features I don't need to ask permissions explicitly. Not because I can do whatever I want, but just because no part violates TravianGames rules anyway.
      At some point I considered tracking upcoming server and create announces. I asked TG whether it's OK to crawl front-pages daily and got a permission.
      Apart from that I'm an independent developer. They don't send updates personally to me, I don't violate fan-site policy (At least, I use their graphics, which is copyrighted). Everyone is happy =)
      ️️
      ️​​

The post was edited 1 time, last by kirilloid ().