[UK] Hero adventures-3: Journey to Egypt - Day 3

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Would you like to know what’s going on in the Tournament 2017 Finals?
    Keep yourself updated by reading "The Corner"!

• [UK] Hero adventures-3: Journey to Egypt - Day 3

Since early morning Mark went out of his mind with worry, waiting for news from the scouts sent around the town. To his disappointment, they didn't bring any news. It seemed as if the Huns just disappeared into thin air after the attack, and the hope to see his friend alive lowered minute by minute. Searching for a small group of riders on a boundless plain land was just a bit easier than looking for a needle in a haystack.
      The main aim of this ambush also remained a mystery. Ransom? Then why hiding? Some old grudge? But Lucius was one of those rare people who - despite his high position in the Empire - didn't have any known enemies. What is the good of an old architect worth to a nomadic tribe?
      A sudden sound distracted Mark from his uneasy thoughts.
      – Ahem… As I can see, master caravan driver, that old mine did really have the second exit, since you're standing here safe and sound, and not buried deep under the earth? – Mark immediately recognized the old gypsy who he had met once and remembered his near escape from the mountain mine. But before he decided what to do with the old fraud, she continued:
      – I offer you a deal: you help me, and I tell you who attacked the architect’s camp and how you can find them.
      Mark didn't hesitate a moment.
      – What do I need to do?
      – There is a small piece of old rug, which I would like to keep as a good memory. – the old woman cracked a sly smile. – An old waist belt with a clasp made of a river stone, nothing precious at all. It's kept in one of the three chests which belong to some cranky alchemist, who lives nearby. I recently helped him when he got lost in the forest, and for this he promised to give one true answer on one out of the 4 questions I ask. And if I guess correctly in which chest he keeps this waist belt, he'll give it to me. You help me get this belt, and in return I'll tell you the way to the camp, where the Huns keep your friend!
      - I still don't believe a single word of you, old witch. - sighed Mark. - But it seems I have no other option to save my friend than grasp at this straw.

Task 3: What 4 questions should the witch ask the alchemist to know for sure in which chest the waist belt is? (The alchemist can only say yes or no and will give 1 true answer and 3 false ones).
      CM mhudson
      Community Manager
      Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78

The post was edited 1 time, last by m.hudson ().

• The witch must ask: Is it in the first chest? And then ask the same question 3 times: Is it in the first or second chest?

If it is in the first, she will be answered with one yes and 3 no's. If it is in the second, she will be answered with either 4 no's or 2 no's and 2 yesses. If it is in the third, she will be answered with 3 yesses and a no. Depending on the answers she can determine in which box the belt is.
    • Question 1: Is it in chest 1?
      Question 2: Is it in chest 1?

If he says no twice, then it must be in chest 1.
      If he says yes once, then no:
      Question 3: Is it in chest 1?
      If he says no, then you're done. It's in chest 1.
      if he says yes, then:
      Question 4: Is it in chest 2?
      If he says no, then it is in chest 2
      If he says yes, then it is in chest 3

Back to the top - if he says yes twice:
      Question 3: Is it in chest 1?
      If he says yes, then the next answer will be true. Question 4: Is it in chest 2? If yes, then it's in 2. If no, then it's in 3.
      If he says no, the next answer will be false. Question 4: Is it in chest 2? If yes, then it's in 3. If no, then it's in 2.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Podling ().

• Will you honestly answer the next three questions?
      Is belt in the first or second chest, but not in the third?
      Is belt in the second or third chest, but not in the first?
      Is belt in the first or third chest, but not in the second?

(If we have two NO in last three answers, then he lied if he answered YES on first question and told the truth if he answered NO on the first question. In that case, we will know the answer trough the combination of answers NO)
      (If we have two YES in last three answers, then he lied if he answered NO on first question and told the truth if he answered YES on the first question. In that case, we will know the answer trough the combination of answers YES)

Example to explain: Let it be the belt in third chest.
      Combinations of the answers:
      Answers on the first qustion: YES(lied) YES(told the truth) NO(lied) NO(told the truth)
      [i]Answers on the second qustion: YES NO NO YES[/i]
      [i]Answers on the third qustion: NO YES YES NO[/i]

[i]Answers on the fourth qustion:NO YES YES NO[/i]

From every combination we can make the conclusion that the belt is in the third chest.

The post was edited 1 time, last by guarana: To be clearly defined. ().

• I'll call the chests A, B and C
      You should ask:
      1. Is it in A or B?
      2. Is it in A or B?
      3. Is it in A or B?

If you get two 'Yes' replies then its in C

If not then 4.ask is it in A?
      If you get your 1st 'Yes' then its in A
      If you get your 2nd 'Yes' then its in B
      If you get your 3rd 'No' then its in A
      If you get your 4th 'No' then its in B
    • Question 1: Is the waist belt is in Box A?

Question 2: Is the waist belt is in Box A?

Question 3: Is the waist belt is in Box A?

Question 4: Is the waist belt is in Box B?

if the answer for question 1,2 and 3 are the same, then the answer the question 4 is a truth.

if two of the answer for question 1,2 and 3 are 2 no and 1 yes, the yes is the truth and the belt is in A.

if two of the answer for question 1,2 and 3 are 2 yes 1 no, the no is the truth and the belt is not in A.

going from the three premise earlier, if we determined the belt to not be in A. we can determine if the last answer is a lie or the truth. Hence knowing which box has the belt after the 4th question.

The post was edited 1 time, last by DragonInWhite ().

• 1) Is belt in FIRST chest?
      2) Is belt in FIRST chest?
      3) Is belt in FIRST chest?
      4) Is belt in SECOND chest?

YES, YES, NO (any sequence) - means that 4-th answer will be false. If 4-th anwser YES then belt in THIRD, if 4-th answer NO, then belt in SECOND
      NO, NO, YES (any sequence) - belt in FIRST
      NO, NO, NO - belt in FIRST
      YES, YES, YES - means that 4-th answer will be true. If 4-th anwser YES then belt in SECOND, if 4-th answer NO, then belt in THIRD

The post was edited 5 times, last by SSSandman ().

• The four questions are ......

1. Is the belt in the first chest
      2. Is the belt in the first chest
      3. Is the belt in the first chest
      4. Is the belt in the second chest.

If the answer to the first two questions is NO and NO, then the belt is in the first chest (as this must be two false answers)
      If not then first two answers will either be Yes, Yes, or No, Yes ..... (two false answers or one false and one true) ... so the belt could be there or not.
      Yes, Yes, Yes is not possible as two lies and one true ...... so if it is Yes, Yes, Yes, it must be three false answers ... so fourth answer must be true .. is it in second chest? ... Yes it is in second, No it is in third.

So, first two (if not NO, NO as above, will be YES and NO)
      if third answer is a NO, then belt IS in first box (two No and ones Yes, NO's must be false)
      If third answer is a YES, then we have TWO YES and ONE NO (so two false and one true tells us not in chest one)

So, final question, is belt in second chest? ...... the answer to this question must now be false ..... so if answer is NO, belt IS in second chest. ..... if answer is yes, belt is in third chest.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Tiny Clanger_UK: just adding in some working out ...... I've not changed my answer ().

• If she has any control over which question is answered truthfully, the questions should be as follows:

Ask if it is in each chest individually with false answers and the truthful answer should be used for whatever she wants to know.

If she doesn't have any control (more likely), she asks about one chest 3 times. If one of the 3 answers is different, she knows that that's the truth. If all answers are the same, she knows that the next answer will be the truth. This way, she will be able to figure out whether or not it's in the first chest, second chest, and then by process of elimination, the third chest.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Iron Will ().

• Assuming the boxes are in a line, ask if the belt is "not in the middle chest" twice.

Case 1)
      The alchemist changes his answer. Then one answer was a lie and one answer was the truth. Thus we know next two answers must be false. Ask if the belt is in the left chest and if the belt is in the right chest (two seperate questions).

1.1) If the alchemist says yes for both answers then the belt in in the middle chest (since we know he is going to lie on both of these occasions).

1.2) If either of the answers is no, then the belt is in the chest that provoked the no answer.

Case 2)
      The alchemist doesn't changes his answer. Then both answers are lies.

2.1)If he said yes twice, then the belt is in the middle chest (since yes was a lie to the belt not being in the middle chest).

2.2)If he said no twice then the belt is not in the middle chest. Ask if the belt is not in the middle chest once more.

2.2.1) If the answer is yes then that was the truth. Ask if the belt is in the left chest. Knowing that this answer is a lie we can determine if the belt is in the left or right chests.

2.2.2) If the answer to asking if the belt was not in the middle chest the third time was no. This was the third lie. Ask in the belt is in the left chest. Knowing that this answer is the truth we can determine if the belt is in the left or right chests.
    • Is the waist belt in chest 1?
      Is the waist belt in chest 1?
      Is the waist belt in chest 1?
      Is the waist belt in chest 1 or 3?

- zit hij in doos 1?
      - zit hij in doos 1?
      - zit hij in doos 1?
      - zit hij in doos 1 of doos 3?

you have to formulate the questions that box 1 will be 3x no and 1x yes.
      chest 2 will be 3x yes and 1x no
      Chest 3 will be 4x no or 2x no and 2x yes box 3

je moet de vragen zo formuleren dat bij doos 1 alles met ja beantwoord zou moeten worden. (dan is 3x nee en 1x ja doos 1)
      bij doos 2 alles met nee; (dan is 3x ja en 1x nee doos 2)
      bij doos 3 1x een vraag met ja; (dan is 4x nee - of 2x nee en 2x ja doos 3)
      Kakihara! What the hell do you think you are doing?
      Kakihara: "Just a little torture."
      "Put some feeling into it, already! If you're going to give someone pain, you've got to get into it!"
      S6- Kakihara s5- Wolverine s4- Filius s5- Ares s1- Delete s5 - Abomination

The post was edited 1 time, last by omejoop_NL ().

• Witch should ask three times the same question - Is the belt in the left/middle/right chest? If the answers contain two or three "No", it means the belt is in that chest.

If the answers contain two "Yes", it means the belt is NOT in that chest, and the next answer will be FALSE. So pointing another chest witch can ask whether the belt in it, and make an opposite decision on the answer - if "Yes", then the next chest, if "No" then in it.

If the all three answers to the initial three questions are "Yes", that means belt is NOT in that chest, and the next answer will be TRUE. Hence, the witch can ask if the belt in the next chest and to depending on the correct answer to make a choice.

Atila_Hun
      com7
    • This challenge doesn't state whether four questions means four independent questions, or any four questions. Assuming you can repeat the same question 4 times, but only counting as one question, then you simply ask: "is the treasure in box one" three times. IF he says no twice, then it is in that box, and if yes twice, then it is not. Repeat this for each box, and you'll have a winner.

Assuming I haven't hacked the system, then here are a few other variations to this:

The first question you need to ask is:

"Are you an alchemist?" if they respond yes, then they will have to lie about the remaining 3 questions. These are:

"Is box one the treasure?" They say yes, then you don't open it, or they say no, you do open it.
      "Is box two the treasure?" They say yes, then you don't open it, or they say no, you do open it.
      "Is box three the treasure?" They say yes, then you don't open it, or they say no, you do open it.

Voila!

If they respond "no" to question one, then you ask the question:

"Are you not an alchemist" if they respond no, then repeat the "is box one the treasure..." section.

Another way of approaching it is as so:

"Is the treasure in box one?" if they respond yes, then ask: "is the treasure in box one" if they respond yes, then it is not in box one, so you repeat this for box two. If they respond yes twice, then box three is your choice.
      S1 - Chronos travian-reports.net/us/report/4025038ccb4
      S2 - WIM travian-reports.net/us/report/493804f33ac
      I also put most of the work in for this: Converter - Battle reports Travian (thanks for leaving siege at home).