Where Travian is headed

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Where Travian is headed

I came back from a 3 year retirement to play what is hopefuly a real last server.
      The speed server ended with me at the top 10 with a pretty decent account.
      A lot have changed in the years I haven't played, raiding turned into a mere bonus instead of a must, and some even consider it to be a mistake to make troops for raiding in the first place.
      Second thing I noticed was all the new benefits available with gold, for an example the alliance bonus, sure it's nice for everyone, but a few players that donate with gold each day can make the entire difference and make one alliance have a huge advantage against another one that doesn't play with gold.
      Third thing I noticed is that the new versions of the game are ridiculously easy to play and advance in.
      You don't even need to raid, you sit back, upgrade your fields, and watch the resources flow in and fill your storages in seconds.
      Everything seems very user friendly, until you put 1+1.
      The potential of the game in the new versions is vastly expanding and each new version the records will keep getting beaten with ease.
      More resources, more villages, more troops, more everything. Only thing that remains the same is the gold required for basic actions such an npc'ing your resources.
      Don't get me wrong, I love the new defence system that now gives credit to the actual holder of troops, even though the system is still flawed.
      Not all of the changes are bad.
      But when you put it all together, in order to remain a cog in the wheel of travian servers and have real influence, you will have to purchase a lot more gold.
      the ratio of f2p and p2w (free to play & pay to win) in Travian used to be okay, you could now spot all the gold players without even trying.
      I could always manage to get to the top 10 and with about 100-300 gold at best, sometimes I survived just by exchanging silver for gold.
      Now it's impossible, the game is turning (if not already) into a one sided game where only the heavy paying costumers will have fun.
      And now you get the egyptions with the waterworks, which can be seen as just massive accounts that win by npc'ing crops constantly.
      Don't get me wrong, it's okay, there's nothing wrong with that, it's their game and it's my choice whether I take part in it or not.
      If I don't like it I could just leave, nobody's forcing me to play or to spend my money.
      I just think it's wrong to turn this game into another of the endless p2w system games out there.
      It had options for income before, it still has, why the greediness has to come at the expense of all the community that can't afford themselves to throw such massive ammounts of cash in order to just stay in touch?
      All the forums integrated into one domain, just to save a few bucks.
      What more will you change each time in order to increase the income?
      If you want to kill the game completely and stay with just the heavy paying community then be my guest, but please try doing it faster if you still have any concern for the rest of the community that remained loyal for the past 10 years and supported you.
      ~ 22/06/2017, על מנת צמצום עלויות הוכרז רשמית על הריגת הפורום ~
      ~ In 15/07/2017 began the slow and painful death ~
      ~ In 31/07/2017 a few survivors were discovered in the ruins ~

Current: ilx3: נודרלכםאניחווה

• Yeah, they upped the amount of resources you get from fields, but that's only because before the ONLY way to play the game was to take 90% of your resources from other players.

Now it's closer to 50/50 (at least in the earlygame). This is good because it incentivizes you to take resources from other big players rather than just sticking to the noobs.

There shouldn't be only one way you can play the game (macemen spam), and the newest iteration of travian ensures that. You can play with putting 90% of your early resources into troops, and it works, or you can put 100% of your resources into fields and it works. The best players use a mix of both."

You cannot be truly effective in lategame without raiding. If you want to make a single hammer out of the standard barracks and stable you can do it with just resources, and that is the way it should be. If you want anything more you have to take it from others.

The game is incredibly pay to win, but we know that. Luckily you can get by with a very small amount of gold and still stay at the top. The bad thing is that bad players can literally buy there way to the top if they put crazy sums of money down. Honestly the most game breaking gold spending things at this point are the auction house and NPC, the rest is pretty balanced.
    • New

Someone once told me "Never begrudge a businessman an honest profit" and I truly believe that. Travian should make a healthy profit for the company that runs it. I'm ok with that. I have no problem plunking down the money for gold club, travian+, and to keep the 25% bonuses running. To me, that's just the cost of playing the game, and is no more than I would pay to play any other online game that I enjoy.

And these benefits are balanced. It doesn't matter how much gold you spend, you can't get more than a 25% bonus or make plus more effective. Everyone willing to pay the basic cost is on an level playing field, and those that coast along without paying can still enjoy the game at a lower level. And let's be honest, the game need the ftp players as well to survive, so that's fine.

But the game also needs the moderate gold users to survive. The ones who are willing to spend 10 to 20 dollars per month on the game. And those are the players that will be run out by increasing the differential between modest gold use and heavy gold use.

There are players willing to spend much larger sums of money on the game and that's great. Travian should be happy to take their money, so long as it doesn't dry up the well of steady moderate gold use in the process. The question then is how to do that?

Currently the gold into silver for the auction house is a huge turn off for me and is likely the thing that will make me quit playing again. On USx the other day someone paid 60k silver for a T1 maceman club. Art routinely sells for 10k+. Warrior boots leading up to artifacts are impossible to buy without dumping more gold into the game. This doesn't affect the FTP players, who aren't likely going to be competitive for the most desired artifacts anyway, but it does make the moderate gold users ask themselves why they are bothering, and that will become a problem if the tide isn't reversed.

But there is another way to get gold from those willing to invest more heavily that doesn't create the same kind of disparity. There are all sorts of additional tools and features that could be unlocked for a gold cost that are handy, but not necessary. Some of them I'd even pay for.

An additional stats package that showed me at a glance how many resources I've raided from a village compared to the cost of troop losses, for example. Something that showed my me resources raided by time of day. An in game tool to find inactives - it's available anyway on getter, so why not put it in game for a cost. In fact, all of the functionality of getter could be made part of the game for those willing to pay an extra 10-20 gold per week.

Here's another one that I know plenty of people would jump at the chance to pay for - a one time 10 gold payment to rearrange buildings inside a village. For those who like every village laid out the same, chiefing a village can be a painful thing and I know many many players who pay to be able to fix things to their satisfaction.

But these should be in lieu of what is currently a near game breaking gold for silver system, not in addition to it. Otherwise there may come a time where you see a small number of high gold users on an otherwise empty server, and then they too will quit due to the lack of competition.
    • New

gdubrocks wrote:

Yeah, they upped the amount of resources you get from fields, but that's only because before the ONLY way to play the game was to take 90% of your resources from other players.

Now it's closer to 50/50 (at least in the earlygame). This is good because it incentivizes you to take resources from other big players rather than just sticking to the noobs.

There shouldn't be only one way you can play the game (macemen spam), and the newest iteration of travian ensures that. You can play with putting 90% of your early resources into troops, and it works, or you can put 100% of your resources into fields and it works. The best players use a mix of both."

You cannot be truly effective in lategame without raiding. If you want to make a single hammer out of the standard barracks and stable you can do it with just resources, and that is the way it should be. If you want anything more you have to take it from others.

The game is incredibly pay to win, but we know that. Luckily you can get by with a very small amount of gold and still stay at the top. The bad thing is that bad players can literally buy there way to the top if they put crazy sums of money down. Honestly the most game breaking gold spending things at this point are the auction house and NPC, the rest is pretty balanced.
      I haven't played in other servers besides my domain's in about 3 years, but I gurantee you that it's currently impossible to be a top player with a small sum of gold.
      Perhaps our definitions of small sums of gold differ, I'm talking about 100-300 gold.

To Podling:
      I didn't want to quote such a long reply when it's the last reply already, hope you see this.
      I can see how that phrase may be suited to this situation, and I agree with it, but to a certain extent.
      Some of the things you gave as other possible methods to gather income have already been offered in pretty much all the countries and for reasons they decided not to include it.
      (for example rearranging the buildings in your village, it's obviously one of the most one sided debates that nobody debates about, obviously it's one of the things even f2p players would consider paying for. I'm sorry for using a meme but it's just muchvaluemuchwow[also sorry if I used it incorrectly])

About the gold to silver system, I think that's one of Travian's biggest income, if you think a T1 Mace club purchased at 60k is worth a facepalm then I wonder what you'd do about 4 T1 culture helmets being purchased for 110k silver each. Most of us found it deprecating.
      I don't see that system being withdrawn anytime soon.

• New

Podling wrote:

Here's another one that I know plenty of people would jump at the chance to pay for - a one time 10 gold payment to rearrange buildings inside a village. For those who like every village laid out the same, chiefing a village can be a painful thing and I know many many players who pay to be able to fix things to their satisfaction.
      Heya - Not looking to comment on the rest. But I do have a dual who will cat us down after chiefing a village to rearrange to their liking. Heavens forbid I put the academy in the wrong place. Our own cats will be launched to fix it immediately. That is one of the things I found entertaining about the game. If you make it fixable with gold I won't have this experience.

1. Start building academy.
      2. Step away for 10 minutes.
      3. Look back at the account and see red swords incoming
      4. AWOOGA AWOOGA!!! INCOMING! RED SWORDS! RED SWORDS!
      5. Run in place.
      6. Run in circles.
      7. Curl up in a ball in the corner.
      8. Cry for help.
      9. Look at the incoming
      10. Oh.. It's just cats coming to remove the academy.

I like my way better. At least it gets the blood pumping. <GRIN>
      Some know me as feanor (~f) Others as The Old Wolf. (~tow) but no matter what, there's always a moment you know.
    • New

The Moment You Know wrote:

But I do have a dual who will cat us down after chiefing a village to rearrange to their liking. Heavens forbid I put the academy in the wrong place. Our own cats will be launched to fix it immediately. That is one of the things I found entertaining about the game. ....I like my way better. ... <GRIN>
      You have played with your dual for years and do this on purpose to annoy her. You like to be yelled at and threatened by her. You need to start worrying when she threatens you with this in RL though.
    • New

Hell's Lullaby wrote:

I haven't played in other servers besides my domain's in about 3 years, but I gurantee you that it's currently impossible to be a top player with a small sum of gold.Perhaps our definitions of small sums of gold differ, I'm talking about 100-300 gold.

Two servers ago (USX, speed) was also my first server back in nearly 10 years. I started just over 2 weeks late, had not played in 10 years, spent no money on gold, and ended in the top 20 population wise. I also didn't play most of the last two weeks (but that is standard for nearly all players). I sold 99% of my silver items to the auction house, but did not buy and resell items like many players do.

I agree that this game is pay to win, but time is the ultimate limit to how much you can grow, not gold. Money will only get you a result quicker, you can't directly pay for a result.
    • New

gdubrocks wrote:

Hell's Lullaby wrote:

I haven't played in other servers besides my domain's in about 3 years, but I gurantee you that it's currently impossible to be a top player with a small sum of gold.Perhaps our definitions of small sums of gold differ, I'm talking about 100-300 gold.
      you can't directly pay for a result.
      That is literally what you do with gold
      :hun03: