Account Name Change

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Account Name Change

Expanding on this thread which called for allowing name changes past 500 population.

The transfer of account ownership over the life of the server is quite common. Allowing new owners an opportunity to change the name if they prefer would be nice to have something they can more closely identify would be nice. I am not suggesting to allow this for free of course, since such a suggestion would be doomed to fail.

Currently it costs 50 gold to change the account name between 50 and 499 population. With 3 free changes for 49 and under.

I would suggest the following;

0-49 population = 3x Free changes, 25 gold per change for 4th and beyond
      50-499 pop = 25 gold per change
      500-4,999 pop = 50 gold per change
      5,000+ = 100 gold per change

The idea of changing how account names work was passed up the chain a few months ago. Would it be possible to get an update? I know we propose things here, the CM passes it on but it would be nice if there was some sort of feedback loop. After receiving a suggestion / idea, HQ should send an update on ideas through the CM within 3 months or something similar. The update could be to say that while the idea is appreciated it isn't happening and why, the idea is being worked on for implementation and give a time frame for its arrival, or some other neutral response. It would just be nice to know that our ideas aren't being sent into a void. If it isn't be being worked on we the community deserve to know why. If the developers think an idea isn't worthwhile we deserve the opportunity to show you why it is. If it isn't technically feasible, most of us get that but it would be nice to know that that is the issue and not the idea itself.
    • Feedback submitted again.

There is a feedback loop but if you imagine the amount of feedback from 40+ domains. HQ generally only respond to the top requested features. Currently bugs is a higher priority than new features (or changes to features) and ensuring the FaS launch was successful. Hopefully in the near future they will have the time to return to wishs and feedback
      CM mhudson
      Community Manager
      Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78
    • m.hudson wrote:

Feedback submitted again.

There is a feedback loop but if you imagine the amount of feedback from 40+ domains. HQ generally only respond to the top requested features. Currently bugs is a higher priority than new features (or changes to features) and ensuring the FaS launch was successful. Hopefully in the near future they will have the time to return to wishs and feedback
      I do understand bugs and the F&S launch are important. I would hope though that they can afford to at least comment on ideas. Even if its as simple as "We like this idea but right now we are swamped with bug fixes and the F&S launch. Once we have more time we will say more about it". Then 6 months later follow up with something like "So we were busy before but now that we have time, we see having this idea implemented within 3 months" or "Now that we've had time to consider it, we think the idea has merit but is technically impossible".

But thank you for passing it up the chain. I think the vast majority of the US community knows that at the very least YOU have our back and care about our ideas.
    • Hey BB,

I understand your request for the name change, but honestly, I have a different viewpoint.

When Rome crowned a new emperor they didn't rename Rome.
      When USA gets a new President we didn't rename the country United States of Trump (not meant as a political statement, just an example.)
      UK does't rename the country with a change in monarch.

I get that a new country might undergo some name changes, but once it's established, it seems rare that you'll see an actual country name change without going through some sort of revolution. All the other countries around that one (and in the world) still often think of the country under it's original name. Name changing 2/3 of the way through a game world in Travian would make it much more difficult to identify and keep an eye on other accounts and what they might be doing.

I get that accounts change ownership, but to me that's just a new leader for the same people.. So if you really want to get corporate and development thinking, how about considering an account having a name that pretty much stays the same and an additional field for the leader of the account?

~f
      Some know me as feanor (~f) Others as The Old Wolf. (~tow) but no matter what, there's always a moment you know.
    • The Moment You Know wrote:

Name changing 2/3 of the way through a game world in Travian would make it much more difficult to identify and keep an eye on other accounts and what they might be doing.
      It may be more difficult to keep track of everyone, but could be a good way to generate more revenue.... But then again, the user IDs would still be the same, so people could use that to keep track of accounts.
    • The Moment You Know wrote:

Hey BB,

I understand your request for the name change, but honestly, I have a different viewpoint.

When Rome crowned a new emperor they didn't rename Rome.
      When USA gets a new President we didn't rename the country United States of Trump (not meant as a political statement, just an example.)
      UK does't rename the country with a change in monarch.

I get that a new country might undergo some name changes, but once it's established, it seems rare that you'll see an actual country name change without going through some sort of revolution. All the other countries around that one (and in the world) still often think of the country under it's original name. Name changing 2/3 of the way through a game world in Travian would make it much more difficult to identify and keep an eye on other accounts and what they might be doing.

I get that accounts change ownership, but to me that's just a new leader for the same people.. So if you really want to get corporate and development thinking, how about considering an account having a name that pretty much stays the same and an additional field for the leader of the account?

~f
      I think that would be an infinitely more interest approach but I was trying to work from something that should be easier to implement. Since the IGN change already exists, its just tweaking how/when the gold costs occur and allowing it to be changed anytime. I would expect that is easier than coding an entirely new element of "leader".

At the same time I also don't think the perception of IGNs/accounts is that of a "city" or "country". It would require a shift in the overall culture and given the amount of resistance to some changes I've encountered just among those I know, I'm not sure it would be welcomed. I think it could make for a deeper game if there was a larger Travian "meta". That introduction of deeper meta elements would help in reshaping the actual and perceived role of accounts/IGNs. So I think your idea has merit, but would require a lot of work both technically and culturally.

Regarding the tracking of accounts... Getter helpfully tracks name changes. And any alliance worth their salts will not be tracking account names alone. They will have an eye on specific coordinates and user ids. It would be a little more work keeping my spreadsheets up to date but I suspect that the vast majority of accounts would not employ the name change option. Though I think they deserve the right to do so, even if they have to pay for the privilege. (Which I really don't think they should have to but I understand TG has a bottom line that they tend to prefer over the feelings and interests of their player-base)