Travian is broken

Would you like to know what’s going on in the Tournament 2017 Finals?
    Keep yourself updated by reading "The Corner"!

• Tombo457 wrote:

Hell's Lullaby wrote:

Hawkery wrote:

Naughty wrote:

Ameno wrote:

Hi all. Sysadministrators are already on the issue. Please, sorry for the inconvenience. We'll do our best to fix it asap.
      This is all very well and good saying this. But like all the other support staff you fail to actually offer any information. -- Yes we know you're trying to fix it, but it would be great to know what's actually going to happen?Will the server rollback to the state it was in before the event jam happened, or will players be re-imburshed for losses.Personally i see the only option being a rollback due to the fact that players who have been raiding will likely have overflowed in resources - and due to the incredible amount of starvation that will have happened. Dealing with this on a case by case basis would take weeks.

For example our account on aux has just lost over 90k troops due to starvation along with around 5million resources due to overflow, not to mention the gold we spent trying to npc the little resources we had in the starving villages.

Once again the Tech team has proven how useless they are, not even an indication in the notification area to tell us that there was a known issue? I mean would it have been such a hard task to redivert users to an error page?

I don't expect a response, because let's face it we're not going to get anything other than "please be patient, we're trying our best."
      Having recently started a new job working on a technical helpdesk solving bugs on websites and working with developers, maybe I can provide a different perspective.The tech team and developers may not be sharing information because they may not know everything that has gone wrong. Devs first need investigation time to find out what's wrong which can involve looking at hundreds of lines of code. Then they need to figure out a way to fix it, since there could be several options. They then need to spend time fixing it. Once that's complete they'll need to test it on an internal test server - it'll look identical to the live environment but only the devs will see it. Once the test site has been tested (to ensure the fix doesn't create any new bugs. If new bugs are found, they need fixing or if none are found) a live release is then planned for a suitable time. That's assuming the issue isn't with a third party, such as a hosting company. There are also very good reasons for devs not sharing information about a bug, especially if it relates to a security flaw.
      And does this all happen between Mon-Fri 9am and 5pm? Nope. Devs will regularly work through the nights, during weekends and often with little TOIL. The developers I work with have schedules backed up for 6 months at a time, so a site down would set them back - to plan something like a rollback would push them back even further. I don't know how long it would take to set up a redirect, but it would be time spent on something that wouldn't make any difference to the site being down. The priority is getting the game back to working order.

And while I don't speak to TG devs to know how they work, there's plenty of software out there that can alert head office to a server being down within minutes. Chances are, if you know a server is down, so do the devs. And depending on how a website is set up a dev may need to investigate each individual server and domain, so if there are several servers/domains down it gets even more tricky.

Note - none of this post is reflective of how TG operate as I have no idea what goes on at this level in TG. It's simply my understanding of how tech teams I've encountered work and the immense pressure they are under to fix everything all the time. Admittedly, I would have joined your argument had this happened before my new found experiences and I can appreciate how it looks from the end users perspective.
      Hawkery, this problem occured 10 years ago and it was better dealt with the first 2 years (8 years ago) than how it is being handled now. Just the fact that the same techniqal issues are repeating themselves for an ongoing of 10 full years is bad enough by itself, the codes may change and more equations may come into matter that requires solving but I've stopped trying to defend the people in charge of it about 1 year ago when I came back and saw how they treat these STILL ONGOING malfunctions... I thought it was bad annoying years ago, but now? I miss the old days.
      You do realise hardware malfunctions still happen even in 2017 right? I have no idea what caused Travian to go down, but internet giants like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc. still have server issues, no website can be totally immune to such problems..
      Nah, hardware malfunctions are still a thing :O? Pictures or never happened.
      I'm not talking specifically about the malfunctions of Travian, not about general hardware malfunctions, and what I'm complaining about is the way they are being dealt with - which compared to many years ago when it was considered bad it is now much worse, something I would never imagine.
      The opposite results should have produced, same problem occuring throughout the years you'd think with time it'll be understood better, solved quicker, handled with more care, expected less then usual and when it happens that it'll be solved with better tools from past experience. The opposite happens somehow and the results just get worse each time throughout the years to a point you legit feel they're not even trying OR are lacking the man power (not sure if I used the proper term for it[ I mean enough people to handle the situation with proper care]).
      ~ 22/06/2017, על מנת צמצום עלויות הוכרז רשמית על הריגת הפורום ~
      ~ In 15/07/2017 began the slow and painful death ~
      ~ In 31/07/2017 a few survivors were discovered in the ruins ~

ts19: Dontouchmeplz
      ts2: ???
    • I have removed the complaints about AUX as they are not relevent on this domain. If you have an issue with the AU domain you should raise it with the staff on that domain via IGM, raise it to the AU Customer Services Rep via email to admin@travian.com.au or to HQ via complaint@traviangames.com
      CM mhudson
      Community Manager
      Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78
    • After the 10th adventure, they are completely random, there are no biasing towards any players - that is impossible. Most would consider your luck fairly consistent with adventures. The majority of 'rewards' from adventures tends to be resources and silver. Sometimes you may get an item, sometimes you may get lucky and hit a few 'decent' items in a row. Who knows - it's totally random.

Ive had it where we picked up 5 artworks in the space of 8 adventures, but then I've had a run of bandages and tablets.

You can't complain that Travian is broken based on something that is randomly generated.
      .....................................................................................................................................
      | Kato - SD | Helios - Hegem0ny | Helios - SP | Helios - L.S. | Apollo - DoH | Little Llama - DoH |
    • daz wrote:

After the 10th adventure, they are completely random, there are no biasing towards any players - that is impossible. Most would consider your luck fairly consistent with adventures. The majority of 'rewards' from adventures tends to be resources and silver. Sometimes you may get an item, sometimes you may get lucky and hit a few 'decent' items in a row. Who knows - it's totally random.

Ive had it where we picked up 5 artworks in the space of 8 adventures, but then I've had a run of bandages and tablets.

You can't complain that Travian is broken based on something that is randomly generated.
      Unbelievable, the people who thought I was being sincere .