Officially Ceasing Friendly Contacts & Opening Hostilities

• TS1

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Would you like to know what’s going on in the Tournament 2017 Finals?
    Keep yourself updated by reading "The Corner"!

• Officially Ceasing Friendly Contacts & Opening Hostilities

As many of you already know, I am the face of the Sicilian Pin account, and I am apparently a drama magnet no matter what round I'm playing. I feel a lot of connection to many of the players and leaders of SNAFU/SUSFU, but the time has come that I can no longer resist killing their troops, attacking them, and doing everything in my power to destroy them. So out of my respect and admiration for many of you in SNAFU/SUSFU, I feel a compelling obligation to officially say that I will no longer dodge/spend when I have the capability to destroy your raiding parties, and will no longer not-send follow-homes when I could do so, and will no longer refuse to participate in any offensive operations conducted against you. Since you all took me in at the opening of this server, I feel that I owe you an explanation for this change of colors, which I will provide below.

Please understand that I have done everything in my power to avoid fighting you, but now feel compelled to do so.

Last round of US1 was the first server of "real" travian I played -- where I used gold and was on the winning team and had help and advice from super experienced players. One of my favorite people I met on Travian is Meherrin, and I wanted to play a round with her, so over the objections of my dual (who did not want to start in the Southwest), I signed up to play with SNAFU/SUSFU in the Southwest.

However, early in the game, there was a personal conflict among players on skype, and Meherrin decided that it would be best if she did not continue playing the round.

There were other factors that pressed me away from the main body of SNAFU/SUSFU players. I wanted to play a hammer this game, and last game I sat on a trash 50% 15c, so this game I wanted to feel a 150%. When it came time to "call" where to send settlers, I found that all the non-grey 15c's in the entire southwest with 75% or greater crop bonuses were claimed. (OK, maybe there was one left in the back corner or something, but all the reasonable ones were already "called.") In addition to being asked "who could vouch for me" by the leadership I contacted about this (which I found off putting, since I had been participating in SNAFU forums from the beginning), I was told that I could not settle any of the options I suggested. So, I looked to the grey zone. (Hence my cluster in the sweet center of the map.)

This caused a problem:

Those villages closer to me? The alliance T~A, not SNAFU/SUSFU.

Now at this point in the game, my dual and I were stuck between a rock and a hard place. TA players were cropping up near us, while our allies were all an hour plus away. (Additionally, although my friends in leadership always made me feel welcome when I spoke to them, there were always those who made it clear that they never wanted us around. Tarheels said as much in the massive US1 skype room when we finally left, but I don't feel the need to find the quote -- I can if there are questions about this point, though.) My dual was in favor of remaining in SUSFU, believing that it was the safer course of action. [Both he and I are quite busy in life and have limited online time. Jobs, school, etc...these things take priority.] However, I believed that joining TA was the safer course of action, since I believed that my friends in SUSFU would not be inclined to attack us, while the TA players right next to us had no such personal connection. The issue was that for SNAFU/SUSFU, we were certainly only a liability. We were separated from their main body but had TA players right nearby, and were certain that we'd lose any conflict since we had such limited online time. At best, we'd find ourselves ghosted, defenseless, and forced to rely heavily on allied reinforcements just to prevent being farmed.

Turns out, I was mistaken on at least one count, although possibly both. SNAFU/SUSFU does not appear to have had any qualms in attacking me, despite my friendships, although they may dispute this. (I have chat logs where Carni and Scarecrow both say that they were opposed to attacking me, and they imply that others were of the same opinion, but say, in effect, that they were overruled. To this day, no one in SNAFU/SUSFU has had the courtesy to identify the party or parties that determined that I was not fit to occupy my villages.)

I took pains to avoid any drama in the switch. I gave my spawn to a SNAFU/SUSFU player before I dropped tag. I even provided informational assistance to Carni and had friendly contacts with other players in SNAFU/SUSFU after the switched tags. Anyway, I'm told that there are some who take issue with my dual, so that might be it, but I have no sympathy for this. My dual was the one who wanted to stay, and who has much less free time to spend on this game anyway. (That means that I'm the one defending, not him, so if you're trying to get at my dual, mission: failure.)

Then, one day while I was stuck in traffic on my way home from work:
      Converter - Battle reports Travian

And what followed has been near-constant raids from SNAFU/SUSFU players. Notably:
      and

I don't feel the need to post further ones, because there are hundreds of them and they're fairly unremarkable. I posted a list of them previously, although didn't share the contents.

Now, to be clear here, I get that I dropped tags and ended up in TA, which isn't such a friendly thing to do. So I get that this makes me a target for attacks. Ok. But I'm not *merely* a target of attacks in general -- when I look in our alliance defensive history, it lists the last 60 attacks against us. As of this moment, 22 of them (more than 1/3) are against me. Now, I'm no mathematician, but I do know that I account for much less than 33% of TA's membership, and even account for less than 33% of our presence in the SW. True, other TA players have been ghosted, but I've been the target of at least as many failed ghost attempts as there have been on all other TA players combined. (I can show some of them if asked -- I have the reports.)

So the suggestion that this is just routine doesn't really explain the relative frequency with which I'm seeing attacks from them. Plus, 20 out of the last 60 attacks being on me is a record low as far as I know -- the last several times I have checked, it accounted for way over 50% of the attacks against us. So I feel like 20/60 is a bad example and want to stick with 50%, but that's not relevant.

Anyway, it was this attack tonight (also posted above) -- while I was out to dinner with my mother for her birthday -- that has taken the cake for me -- Converter - Battle reports Travian
      [The additional attacks across the rest of my villas pulled resources, which I haven't given up almost at all despite constant attacks all week because I was able to glance at the game every hour, despite the cost of not being able to do research.]

SO

At long last, I am forced to kill as many troops as I can from SNAFU/SUSFU, and agree to engage in offensive operations against you. To those of you who are my friends, I am sorry, but if asked to attack your accounts, I will now do so without hesitation. Even though so few of my troops were home at the time of that successful mace scout, the fact that you're willing to throw thousands of troops away for no gain against me shows that you're considering me an offensive threat.

You've made me into one.

Anyone else on this server--be you in the NW or NE or wherever you are -- if you ask me for any intel I have on SNAFU/SUSFU troop counts or locations, I will share what I know. If you're fighting SNAFU/SUSFU units and need defense (especially you FB players in the middle of the map near me), send me an IGM and I'll send you everything I can. As far as I can tell, TA doesn't have leaders or anything, and don't expect me to be able to get other TA players to cooperate, but since the SW has decided that I am better off dead, I'll do what I can to make it be them instead.

I know this will probably end in my demolition, but I am a person who has always stood by the decisions I have made when I do not believe that I have erred, and this is one of those cases. I do not believe that anything I have done this server has warranted the treatment I am receiving from my former allies. Disagree with me if you will, that is your right. But I stand by my decisions. I have taken what I want, and I intend to pay for it. But, if I can, I'll make the other guys pay for it instead.

I apologize for not sourcing all my claims of PM conversations, but there is a forum rule against releasing them without consent. If anyone wants to see the conversations I am referring to, with the exception of non-archived IGM's from the start of the server, if you ask I will seek permission from the other parties to release them.

I still like and respect a lot of you playing in SNAFU/SUSFU, so if you wish me to be excluded from this, just PM me. I will honor any request to not attack any member of SNAFU/SUSFU, and any request not to share any scout or other battle reports visible to me (due to being in an alliance with scouts and lots of battles and stuff), UNLESS you are one of the small number of SNAFU/SUSFU players actively attacking me. (For you, such a request will not be honored. Sorry. If you attack me I consider it a waiver that allows me to release any information I learn about your account to anyone who asks. Specifically, how many troops you attack with, and where they come from, etc.)

~ The Burninator.
    • Hi!

No problems with this. Not that I know you much or anything, but, lots of old players know lots of other old players in other quads. But you know, it's a game, we play to win, and we'll attack where we need to attack to be able to win. "We" meaning "all alliances".

The area you inhibit simply has some strategical importance for us, and when you left, we were weakened in the area, and your account became a possible threat. And so, wether we love you or hate you is irrelevant; we'll attack.

Nothing personal.

Live long and prosper.
    • Scarecrow wrote:

Codswallop.
      In reference to my post or Haavrl's? If mine, I'm sorry you feel that way, but you have a right to your opinion.

If haavrls', I would tend to agree. He ignored my point -- he says that my account "became a potential threat," when actually that's just an admission that he didn't know me, or that leadership over there thinks I lied when I said I just wanted to do my thing in the middle of the map, which was true. I didn't "become a potential threat" -- not until SNAFU/SUSFU threw the first stones. I'd be a lot less upset about this if someone over there would man up (or woman up) and admit to my face that they wanted me dead and threw the first stone.

But also, the bit about how leaving weakened SNAFU in the area -- has he not seen the getter map? I was snafu in the area. What plans could there have been for that area? To let it rot? It looks like y'alls are afraid of the grey...

TL;DR, I don't believe "nothing personal" because the facts don't support it. I'm not against fighting...this is a war game. Just against being given a ridiculous story about it.
    • Sir William PD_US wrote:

tl/dr

Someone give me the short version.
      Someone tried to play his olde friends on multiple sides so that he could sim in the center and not get attacked. He got attacked, couldn't sim, and is really, really mad. Like mad enough to write a thesis on why he's the victim of everyone not doing what he wanted.

Armour_US wrote:

You are either the densest man I've ever met or the only troll that ever got to me.

Armour_US wrote:

That's all aside the point because you already won.

Teutons wrote:

Oh well in that case I completely believe you.
    • JapocoPD wrote:

Someone tried to play his olde friends on multiple sides so that he could sim in the center and not get attacked. He got attacked, couldn't sim, and is really, really mad. Like mad enough to write a thesis on why he's the victim of everyone not doing what he wanted.
      Except, he was upfront this round in saying he was only going to sim and was only on the server for his newbie friends (he admitted as much in the preserver room in front of all the leadership team at the time), gave away villages prior to leaving to those on our team (the offer went to Excel, Mad Max and Brat), we had their troop counts in getter (minimal) and their actions were clearly in line with their intent (practice building in the grey).
      They had 3 villages below 100 pop when they left and gave away their second highest pop village at the time. At what point is that a threat?
      He went so far out of his way to make the transition as peaceful as possible it isn't funny.

All we did was create an enemy out of thin air and waste time and troops on an account that was going to have otherwise negligible impact on our aims, goals and team. We wasted their patience (they dodged and refused anvil help for how long before deciding to retaliate against continued aggression?) and the troops we lost on Sicilian Pin would have been better used on other targets.

If we're to be truthful, the only reason Sicilian Pin received attacks was due to a tag and the biases now held against that tag.
      The 'reasoning' for sending the attacks was to tie up TA assets. What assets did we tie up? None.

I'm all for our team but I'm going to call out poo where I see it and this entire situation is poo.

Jonothan Crane wrote:

Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Scarecrow ().

• Cool, now show me proof that he would not steal one of our artifacts or go after one and beat us to it. Now show me proof that they would never attack us. Now show me proof they would not build an EGH. You really can't can you? You talk about 100 pop villages, what is stopping them from growing? And the simple fact they needed a tag to 'practice' says pretty much the opposite, that we would be on the receiving end of something at some point. They know that this a war game, at some point practicing means launching attacks.

And to be perfectly honest, after reading this I'm extremely glad they left. It screams future spy if they don't get their way. I mean, these are usually the types of novels high level spies write to list out their alleged grievances as to why they were justified in spying. Personally, I'd rather read it now like this than later on.

Armour_US wrote:

You are either the densest man I've ever met or the only troll that ever got to me.

Armour_US wrote:

That's all aside the point because you already won.

Teutons wrote:

Oh well in that case I completely believe you.

The post was edited 1 time, last by JapocoPD ().

• They didn't have troops until we started attacking them. The proof was in the getter info.
      Hard to attack someone without troops.
      Hard to hit someone with an EGH you don't have (also, who in their right mind builds such an important asset smack bang in the middle of the server?).

If you only see enemies in everyone around you, that is all you will ever get.

It's not a weakness to admit or own mistakes and this, frankly, was a mistake.
      If you have difficulty with anything I'm saying, feel free to take it up with me in game. You can find me on the Brat account.
      I'm done here.

Jonothan Crane wrote:

Patients suffering delusional episodes often focus their paranoia on an external tormentor. Usually one conforming to Jungian archetypes. In this case, a scarecrow.
    • I'm sorry but if someone joins an alliance, builds 9 cities in that alliances sector, then joins an alliance we are actively fighting and they don't think they're going to be attacked then they are foolish. Travian is a grand strategy, browser MMO. That means there is war and there is diplomacy. The moment that Pin left our alliance to join our ENEMY alliance, he became a target of opportunity and will remain one until he quits or the server is over.

It's how the game is played. You don't like it, move to another game.

I'm sorry but if someone joins an alliance, builds 9 cities in that alliances sector, then joins an alliance we are actively fighting and they don't think they're going to be attacked then they are foolish. Travian is a grand strategy, browser MMO. That means there is war and there is diplomacy. The moment that Pin left our alliance to join our ENEMY alliance, he became a target of opportunity and will remain one until he quits or the server is over.

It's how the game is played. You don't like it, move to another game.
      I thought you weren't gonna read it? :p

I mean, that's your loss more than anyone else's. He really wasn't gonna attack you guys or us, he's been friendly with both. He just wanted support from the NW and NE that he didn't think you would be able to provide. Thanks for turning him into a killing machine for us and for wasting stacks of troops on him.

Do slow down a bit though, I think so far the PD leadership has done more damage to the unity of the SW than we have.

Travian is a grand strategy, browser MMO.
      The bottom line, Jacopo, is that in logic,

either
      (a) it was a strategic mistake to attack me since it wasted resources on a player who never would have threatened you, and created a future enemy or
      (b) you're calling me a liar when I say I never would have attacked you.

The answer is (a), and the reason I am upset is because you guys are trying to claim that it's b and while refusing to admit that that's what you're saying. You're arguing that I made the first move, when in fact my actions were at worst, unfriendly. They were never aggressive. The same cannot be said about launching hundreds of raids and clear attempts.

As I said before, I'd be a lot less upset if instead of avoiding the issue, you'd just come out and say "I think TB is a liar and was going to attack us so I want his villages dead." I've been up front with you guys, so I don't see why you won't be up front with me. We're all adults here and will respect an intentional aggressive move against a former friend a lot more than falsely claiming pre-emptive strike.
    • The Burninator wrote:

Sir William PD_US wrote:

Travian is a grand strategy, browser MMO.
      The bottom line, Jacopo, is that in logic,
      either
      (a) it was a strategic mistake to attack me since it wasted resources on a player who never would have threatened you, and created a future enemy or
      (b) you're calling me a liar when I say I never would have attacked you.

The answer is (a), and the reason I am upset is because you guys are trying to claim that it's b and thus refusing to admit that that's what you're saying. You're arguing that I made the first move, when in fact my actions were at worst, unfriendly. They were never aggressive. The same cannot be said about launching hundreds of raids and clear attempts.

As I said before, I'd be a lot less upset if instead of avoiding the issue, you'd just come out and say "I think TB is a liar and was going to attack us so I want his villages dead." I've been up front with you guys, so I don't see why you won't be up front with me.
      Here's the thing man. I don't care if you're upset. You made a strategic mistake by joining an enemy alliance while in our sector. This isn't a game of solo players. It's a game of alliances and teamwork.

• You're in our sector
      • You have high troop building capability
      • You're in an ENEMY alliance

You need to D up and get ready.