Ghost Hammer & Follow-Home

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Would you like to know what’s going on in the Tournament 2017 Finals?
    Keep yourself updated by reading "The Corner"!

• Jump to the most helpful post

• DarkLight wrote:

Hey, i got two questions ..

1.Are ghost hammers still doable? if it is, is there any guide?

2. How is a follow-home done ?
      Ghost hammers are always important. As a guide: Build lots of EI or TTs. EI will be much more bulky but TTs will be faster. There's really not a lot of other strategy. Teutons in general are easier to ghost because they have smaller walls and macemen supply almost no cav defense. Roman EC hammers are very hard to ghost because Romans have high walls and ECs have very high cav defense.

A follow home is also pretty straight-forward, although there are some subtleties. Land exactly 1 second after the hammer returns home. They won't have time to resend out the hammer and auto-dodge is disabled for 10 seconds after troops arrive home. The only hard part is figuring out when the will return. It's just a few steps:

1) Find the distance from the attacker to the village that was hit. Grab a calculator, the distance ingame rounds off to the nearest tenth, which will cause you to get the wrong time.

Distance = sqrt((x_coord1 - x_coord2)^2 + (y_coord1 - y_coord2)^2).

2) Calculate the effect of boots/TS. If less than 20 squares away, you won't have to worry about TS or hero boots. If it's over 20, however, you'll first want to check for a set of hero boots that speed up accompanying troop speed. You'll also need to figure out what level tournament square the player has, which is often the biggest challenge in performing a follow-home.

TS/boots constant = 20/(20+(distance-20)/(1+[TS level]*.1+[boots bonus])). In this equation, [boots bonus] should be .25, .50, or .75

3) Calculate the effect of maps. If the hero has a map, unfortunately it is impossible to tell which size they are holding, so you will have to guess if multiple sizes are already released.

Map constant = 1/(1+[map bonus]). Here, [map bonus] should be .3, .4, or .5

4) Find adjusted distance. The TS/boots constant and map constant should be less than or equal to 1.

Adjusted distance = Distance * TS/boots constant * Map constant

5) Find the return time.

Return time will be the adjusted distance divided by the base speed of the slowest unit in the attack.

6) Find the arrival time.

Troops will arrive home at the time the attack landed plus the return time. This is the second you want to time your attack for.
    • wishmaster3 wrote:

Getter has some calculators for this:

Path calculator for calculating travel time between villages
      path speed TS calculator for calculating what speed the attacker has/what TS level and his return time
      Yeah. Don't know why I didn't think of this. The tools on getter are pretty great. The only thing to keep in mind is that for some reason neither getter or kirilloid let you factor in the map so you'll still have to calculate the map constant and multiply the travel time by that for the return trip if they are holding one.
    • Armour_US wrote:

wishmaster3 wrote:

Getter has some calculators for this:

Path calculator for calculating travel time between villages
      path speed TS calculator for calculating what speed the attacker has/what TS level and his return time
      Yeah. Don't know why I didn't think of this. The tools on getter are pretty great. The only thing to keep in mind is that for some reason neither getter or kirilloid let you factor in the map so you'll still have to calculate the map constant and multiply the travel time by that for the return trip if they are holding one.

kinda does....
    • New

Armour_US wrote:

notorious crunchie wrote:

kinda does....
      I always thought that that would do the trick as well, and was originally gonna recommend kirilloid. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but if I select the map, it doesn't actually change the calculated time shown on the left. As far as I know. I could just be dumb and missing something obvious.
      Yeah, the map doesn't work for me either, but you can use a pennant to get the same result.
      S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie S5-r3 Tyche S7-r3 Chuckles
      S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country S5-r7 Office Space S19-r2 The Joker
      S19-r3 Chuckles
    • New

Tineren wrote:

Yeah, the map doesn't work for me either, but you can use a pennant to get the same result.
      Ah. Yeah good point. That's probably the way to do it then.

Mod Deadpool wrote:

The reason for this is that the Map only effects the time you take to travel back, it doesn't affect it when you are going towards your target which is the case here.
      That makes sense, but I think I'm just thrown off by the fact that kirilloid bothers to list it. If it doesn't affect the calculator, why even have it there? Why not include the shield while you're at it? Oh well, probably just an artifact from some uncompleted feature.
    • New

Armour_US wrote:

Tineren wrote:

Ah. Yeah good point. That's probably the way to do it then.

Mod Deadpool wrote:

The reason for this is that the Map only effects the time you take to travel back, it doesn't affect it when you are going towards your target which is the case here.
      That makes sense, but I think I'm just thrown off by the fact that kirilloid bothers to list it. If it doesn't affect the calculator, why even have it there? Why not include the shield while you're at it? Oh well, probably just an artifact from some uncompleted feature.
      It's more likely an error because changing the drop down to the map gives the same number as whatever you had selected before. Of course you could always just ask kirilloid, he's generally quick to respond to the email address on his site and fix errors if you find them.
      S6-r1 The_Chuck S8-r1 Lanie S5-r3 Tyche S7-r3 Chuckles
      S2-r6 Tommo and rebuild S1-r7 Country S5-r7 Office Space S19-r2 The Joker
      S19-r3 Chuckles
    • New

Tineren wrote:

It's more likely an error because changing the drop down to the map gives the same number as whatever you had selected before. Of course you could always just ask kirilloid, he's generally quick to respond to the email address on his site and fix errors if you find them.
      It is an error indeed.
      Or, better to say, it was.

Sorry for the bug, it's fixed now.
      ️️
      ️​​
    • New

Tineren wrote:

I've been happily using Travian travel time calculator for planning attacks and village takeovers for nearly a decade now. While it doesn't specifically have a place to imput the map, you can put the map bonus in the "Speed" field.
      Same deal, been using it forever. Found it to be reliable and have used for many a follow home kill :D

Completed 9 Servers (Most Recent)
      Average ally rank - 5th (2nd)
      Average pop - 30,625 (48,610)
      Average Conquer Rank - 14th (1st)
      Average Off rank - 15th (4th) - 541,000 (1,585,505)
      Average Def Rank - 16th (8th) - Kills: 551,000 (1,016,138)