Recognising holidays specific to domains

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Would you like to know what’s going on in the Tournament 2017 Finals?
    Keep yourself updated by reading "The Corner"!

• Recognising holidays specific to domains

How user friendly is it to release artis on Thanksgiving? Sure gives some free opportunities for hitting, which is nice; but it also forces people out of family dinners or give them a bad feeling about not being able to participate, be it in defence or offence.

Bad Travian.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Meme ().

• haavarl wrote:

How user friendly is it to release artis on Thanksgiving? Sure gives some free opportunities for hitting, which is nice; but it also forces people out of family dinners or give them a bad feeling about not being able to participate, be it in defence or offence.

Bad Travian.
      Yeah. Someone at Travian games really should check the dates for servers before picking one. It isn't too hard.

"Do artis land on Christmas or Thanksgiving? y/n
      Do plans land on Christmas or Thanksgiving? y/n"

The post was edited 1 time, last by Meme ().

• haavarl wrote:

A completely different subject, though.

Bad Travian.
      Canadians and UK people have no problem with this.
    • haavarl wrote:

Bad Travian.
      Absolutely agree. On a US server this was pretty brutal. 6PM on thanksgiving eve is basically primetime drinking for most people. But we all found a way I guess :(
      I've probably played 30 servers at this point

US1 Honeybadger - travian-reports.net/us/report/46781746d83
      travian-reports.net/us/report/49535643339

I blame blazin1 for any actions that may occur during the course of any server

• playingwithfire wrote:

haavarl wrote:

How user friendly is it to release artis on Thanksgiving?
      You might want to go and check when they were actually released. They were not released on Thanksgiving Day but Thanksgiving Eve. And the dates are picked based on the server schedule and what day the server is on.
      I mean... it was released 6 hours before Thanksgiving. It was Thanksgiving before the second hammer hit. Now we're trying to deal with all the post-arti chaos on Thanksgiving.

I'd be fine with day after Thanksgiving. But day before is a no-no. I would have much rather had an announced 3-day delay on artis.
    • Spencer wrote:

Hey I'm Norwegian. We don't have such a thing as "thanksgiving" over here. However ... it implies alliance wide organization with attacks, defences, res shipments and whatnots, as you know, and with a majority of the alliance not very present it causes some challenges. Some players received phone calls or texts during their family parties and so on.
    • I think there is a lack of understanding how big a holiday Thanksgiving is in America outside of the USA. It simply isn't celebrated anywhere else.

Religious holidays such as Christmas and Easter are generally recognised as times to avoid, but I understand that perhaps more notice needs to be taken of holidays specific to particular countries on those domains. I will feed this back to the CM as a general point to go back to HQ.
    • Spencer wrote:

...Quelaana polishing her bifocals trying to focus enogh to see the .ca or .uk at the end of the server link...

Nope. It says .US Travian! We have US Holidays. So, Spencer, go play on the .ca servers!!

Oh. oops. you don't have any.

Well your second choice would be simply to Hush it!
      S1 R8 SIO - Win
      S4 R8 SIO - Win
      S3 R9 FWB - Win.

S1 -to be - Win.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Meme ().

• Meme wrote:

I think there is a lack of understanding how big a holiday Thanksgiving is in America outside of the USA. It simply isn't celebrated anywhere else.

Religious holidays such as Christmas and Easter are generally recognised as times to avoid, but I understand that perhaps more notice needs to be taken of holidays specific to particular countries on those domains. I will feed this back to the CM as a general point to go back to HQ.
      Thank you for the respectful and well mannered response to our legitimate gripe as a .us community.
      My first hammer: s8r1 - mhisti
      Not my first hammer: s1r4 - Loved1

s1r7 - Ifrit 3,111,384 offense points

[6:49:56 PM] Bugzy: Let's report Ifrit for genocide

The post was edited 1 time, last by Old MacDonald ().

• Meme wrote:

I think there is a lack of understanding how big a holiday Thanksgiving is in America outside of the USA. It simply isn't celebrated anywhere else.

This was fed back and this is a summary of the answer I received, hope it helps;

Holding the release of artefacts back for two days until after Thanksgiving was considered but rejected for the following reasons;

1. It would have delayed the server for two days.
      2. It could potentially have opened a floodgate for having to consider so many other holidays that it would be difficult to start to draw lines.

As an example, in the UK we have a big celebration on 5th of November where everyone goes out and burns an effigy of Guy Fawkes on a bonfire and lets off masses of fireworks. It isn’t a religious holiday but is probably the biggest celebration here after Christmas and Easter. Should that be factored in? What about Indian players, should they have Diwali? Should there be a ceasefire for 4th July? America seems to have a lot of Federal holidays!

You may, of course, have a different view but I thought you would appreciate knowing that your point was raised for you and answer received, even if it may not be the one you were looking for!
    • Meme wrote:

This was fed back and this is a summary of the answer I received, hope it helps;
      Holding the release of artefacts back for two days until after Thanksgiving was considered but rejected for the following reasons;

2. It could potentially have opened a floodgate for having to consider so many other holidays that it would be difficult to start to draw lines.

As an example, in the UK we have a big celebration on 5th of November where everyone goes out and burns an effigy of Guy Fawkes on a bonfire and lets off masses of fireworks. It isn’t a religious holiday but is probably the biggest celebration here after Christmas and Easter. Should that be factored in? What about Indian players, should they have Diwali? Should there be a ceasefire for 4th July? America seems to have a lot of Federal holidays!

You may, of course, have a different view but I thought you would appreciate knowing that your point was raised for you and answer received, even if it may not be the one you were looking for!
      At least in the US, the holidays that people truly care about are the "family holidays." The holidays that are dedicated to flying home to your family and sitting around chatting. There are only two in the US: Thanksgiving and Christmas. These are the two holidays for which workers get multiple days off and for which we have major celebrations. You mention Easter and the 4th of July, but these have much smaller scale celebrations. If you celebrate Easter, it's at most half the day at church. Nothing that would even take up a whole day. Same for the 4th of July. You go barbecue and watch fireworks for at most 6 hours in the evening. Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only truly multi-day holidays in the US.

I don't think TG is trying to bother us with this. Again, I think this is a serious failure to understand the magnitude of Thanksgiving in the US. Thanksgiving and Christmas are on a tier all their own. I think I speak for 99% of Americans when I say that these are the ONLY two holidays that need to be considered.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Armour_US ().

• Meme wrote:

Yeah, not sure they fully understand if they're going off Easter. For reference: The Friday before Thanksgiving is the 2nd busiest day for airports. Only passed by the Sunday after. And the busiest day of the year for bars is Thanksgiving Eve. For most, it's a multi-day affair between travel and/or dinner prep. All other holidays besides possibly Christmas are considered more local holidays, meaning you get together with who's around as opposed to everyone in the family going to the same place.

I know that you don't have much in the way of anything that can be done, but thank you for asking and answering. But if it comes up again, it would be appreciated that the Germans know that over here it's literally the weekend that more of us travel for family and have more prep-work than any other holiday, even Christmas.

Armour_US wrote:

I don't think TG is trying to bother us with this. Again, I think this is a serious failure to understand the magnitude of Thanksgiving in the US. Thanksgiving and Christmas are on a tier all their own. I think I speak for 99% of Americans when I say that these are the ONLY two holidays that need to be considered.
      See? And here's proof of the magic of the holiday, I'm actually agreeing with Armour!

Armour_US wrote:

You are either the densest man I've ever met or the only troll that ever got to me.

Armour_US wrote:

That's all aside the point because you already won.

Teutons wrote:

Oh well in that case I completely believe you.
    • I don't recall getting an easter ceasefire?

but my though here is, we are arbitrarily given Christmas and New years. I'm all for the Christmas one. But New Years? This isn't religious. Its not really anything, other than the day when the drumks recover from the night before. IMO that is not a reason for a cease fire.

Would it be too terribly difficult for TG to look when they start a server be it here, or India or wherever, to look at the start date, and then add 100 days out and 200 days out (plans), and check to see if that date MIGHT be important in that country? I think most of us would have been perfectly happy to have started a couple of days later to avoid this.

I really think that, with server 1, we have shown that there are a LOT of people in the US, still addicted to this game. Granted, s6, s2, etc are duds. IMO, we don't NEED more than 2 .us servers. Staggared starts. I know that s1 was planned around the tourney. Fine. Although having spoken with a ton of people won played the last tourney, I don't expect you to see many us players back there again. But I think this would be a fairly easy thing to plan. Tourney starts xxx. US1 starts 4 months later, us2, starts 4 months after that.
      S1 R8 SIO - Win
      S4 R8 SIO - Win
      S3 R9 FWB - Win.

S1 -to be - Win.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Quelaana ().

• Meme wrote:

"All politics is local."
      ~ Tip O'Neill

Yes, you should consider local holidays in the locales in which you're operating servers. There's a reason that rockstars shout "HOW ARE YOU DOING CHICAGOOOOOO" when they're in Chicago, and shout "HOW ARE YOU DOING NEW YORK" when they're in New York.

Yes, I realize that the better cliche would have been "when in Rome...," but I hate that cliche, so deal with the one I used instead.
    • You do realise I have no say in this decision making :D

I’m not an American but I get the feeling that this is a really big deal. If it was up to me you would get what you ask for, but there are so many parameters to consider, nothing is ever straightforward.

I’ve done what I can and will continue to feedback all issues as they arise.