Gripes, Complaints & Concerns of the UK Domain

By using our site, you accept the use of cookies to make your visit more pleasant, to offer you advertisements and contents tailored to your interests, to allow you to share content on social networks, and to create visit statistics for website optimisation. More information

The Tournament 2018 Qualification has started!
    Don't miss Safiren's Corner!

The dev diary about The Journey of a bug is now available!
    Don't miss it: Dev Diary: The Journey Of A Bug
    Comments or questions? Discuss it here!

• Gripes, Complaints & Concerns of the UK Domain

Hello Everyone

I know I have been busting some chops lately in the price increase thread but i have had numerous complaints about it might possibly get lost since the talk turned to the bugs that currently plague the game.

I did remove a lot not only for you but for those who in TG that are reading it so they can see how you feel bout one thing in particular.

I do (as well as TG) understand that the bugs go hand in hand with your complaints about the price increase.

So please use this thread to lay it out there about the problems you see ingame currently.

This thread is not an open invitation to flame or troll but an avenue for all of us to make our issues heard.

You have probably done this a million times already but I ask you to just do it one more time and let me take this info where I need to take it.

So post away but all posts that add nothing or are just to troll/flame/instigate or claims false info will be removed without notice.

In another thread I have addressed 2 bugs that were brought up by another player. Those have been addressed What went wrong?

Forum Users Guide - USER GUIDE
      Forum Rules & Guidelines - FORUM RULES
      Game Rules & Guidelines - GAME RULES
    • Since we are all thinking it, and it was one of the posts removed from the price increase thread, why is TG spending time putting snow in villages instead of fixing the basic gameplay? The new skin just about blinded me this morning when I woke up, thank christ they put an option in to turn it off...
      ukx - MadZ (Hegemony) | Danny Zuko (GTB)
      uk1 - David Brent (MFH)
    • Wide topic, me like.

1. The biggest fault affecting gameplay as I see it is friendly farming. An obvious breach of a basic travian game play rule, yet MHs seem to have no tools to deal with this.

2. Another thing is... the silver auction system does nothing to prevent 10 cages going for 20 000 or so a month into a server. The usual price is what, 400? This leads me to believe (I have no proof of course) that there are some kind of silver fraud going on that is not acted upon. I heard the system has an upper limit on bids that are linked to the median price of something, so perhaps this system works, but fails to display this in the auction house?

3. Many bugs now compared to past years (most small). Some bugs extra worrying as players lack the faith of travian being able to see all of them. My alliance got the "instabuild troops bug", and reported it. Did you check that I didn't queue 10k cats? And complete silence from TG tech/hq about explaining what went wrong. CMs are given little to no indepth info, so questions about testing etc. goes unanswered.

4. Worrying about artes spawning at the correct time due to three instances where they were added hours late on other domains. Instead of sending a sysmsg with "artes will be x hours delayed", they just turn up. If this happens here, travian needs to make an annoncement so that players don't have to sit glued to their screens for hours. Don't anyone at TG play anymore and get this? But:

5. Travian doesn't seem to learn from their mistakes, so there are few optimists here. This is also in part due to this domains history with traviangames headquarter staff.

The post was edited 1 time, last by andi ().

• First a disclaimer: I see the title is "[...] of the UK Domain"- though I will venture outside the .uk domain in this post, as it's still highly relevant.

Let me see...

There were two large event jams for all domains (of varying severity from server to server) within a few weeks (including botched rollback on comx)

For at least three speed servers, artefacts were not spawned as announced - yet not even after the 2nd instance of it happening, did Travian bother to have someone monitor the artefact spawn on comx to ensure it wasn't botched, and to be able to react to it quickly.

Not only was this the case: instead of making an announcement akin to "the artefacts will be released in 2 days time, we apologize for the inconvenience" or "the artefacts will be released 6 hours from now", the artefacts were added to the server at random with no warning. What this shows is that TG are extremely distanced from the players that actually play their game: they seemingly don't understand the time, dedication and planning that goes into preparing (especially when the server is highly competetive) for what is one of the most important events of the server. Or maybe they just don't care.

Let's see... Other major issues include (I'm not too familiar with these, since they seem to be mostly speed related, so feel free to add/correct if I'm wrong):
      • Being able to NPC yourself to more res on comx during event jam
      • Instant building troops
      • Infinite res bug (dunno if related to the one on comx?)
      • Alliance bonuses being bugged (randomly losing the tiers you have unlocked when unlocking a new tier and other stuff)
      Not sure if there are more current ones.

Then there are a bunch of minor ones:
      • Bugged building descriptions
      • Wall showing twice in scoutings
      • Bugged residence/palace/ description (after the building descriptions were fixed once already)
      • Settlers and elephants not showing in the village overview
      • (More that I am forgetting)
      The last two bugs went live on the com8 beta before being rolled out to the rest of the servers and domains - yet even though they were reported on the com8 beta, and there was a ~1-2 week timeframe between the beta rollout and global rollout, these bugs still made it on to all the other servers. I thought the whole point of having a beta and PTR servers were to catch bugs in updates, before you make them go live globally??? No point in updating them before the rest of the servers, if you don't act on the issues that arise...

Now, any of these events in isolation wouldn't be an issue - or well, they would of course, and there'd be plenty of complaining about it... But ultimately, yes, bugs do happen, and if they are fixed and any gains/damages from them are reversed, and they stop happening... The complaints will die out.

But all of the above issues have happened within a timeframe of half a year. Never has the game been as riddled with issues and bugs as it has been for the past 6 months (or less, even) - and not just small ones, but very severe and gamebreaking ones.

It honestly feels like TG have given up on any and all QA testing, and just send whatever updates they cook up to live as soon as the code is written.

Meanwhile, we do not get a single word of explanation as to how so many issues suddenly started arising within such a short timeframe, and we're stuck with moderators and CMs dragging answers for less than 1/10th of our questions out of HQ - I mean, apparently it counts as an "answer" when HQ says "yeah there is a bug and we'll do something about it at some point"... Oh great, because that's exactly what we want to know... That TG are looking at the bug as any sensible developer will do - and we totally don't want to know how a bug like this could possibly make it to live servers, or how on earth the game has plummeted from occasional hiccups along the way, into total instability over the course of a few months.

Now most of these are general issues that count for all domains - but of course are a part of explaining why there was an outrage about the price increase on the .uk domain.

TG are literally asking their customers to pay more for a worse product - and covering it up with some nonsense about the USD/GBP exchange rate, when TG are based in Germany, which means that the USD has nothing to say whatsoever in relation to the UK prices.

I'd be pretty bummed too if I went to get a pizza, and only got served half a pizza... To just have the guy go "ohhh right, that'll be another fiver" when pointing it out.

(This is of course on top of players being unhappy that a price hike in itself might cause more people to leave too, when there are already very few players.)

Edit:

As someone said on skype when I linked a post about the now bugged scoutings:
      It's a skill, managing to botch up something in every single update

(paraphrased, please no deleting)

Animis opibusque parati

com8 (F&S beta) and now back to retirement...
    • My real complaint is that when a bug happens (mainly this is for more serious bugs that can affect the game) we are not told what went wrong, what caused this and what will be changed to stop this happening again. Without such communication, there is no way for the player base to build up a positive opinion on what Travian are doing to stop this, and basically, that they actually care about the future of the game.

As such, I am aware that not all bugs are directly due to Travian, but event jams etc, are the fault of the server provider, but confirming this is where a problem originated from, the cause, and what is being changed to stop it happening again helps players be more willing to spend their time (and money) on the game.

It shouldn't be up to the CM and mods to try and chase for answers as to whats happening with bugs, the tech team should want to update its players on how well they are doing to fix these bugs, that will/would create a much better atmosphere amongst players and forum staff.

And like i said in the other thread before about the skin - I do believe Travian has graphic artist(s), so I imagine and hope the skin didn't really take up much coding time as such.
    • wishmaster3 wrote:

Or maybe they just don't care.
      You've hit the nail on the head there.

Tombo457 wrote:

And like i said in the other thread before about the skin - I do believe Travian has graphic artist(s), so I imagine and hope the skin didn't really take up much coding time as such.
      He/She/They should be sacked for the monstrosity of the snow theme. Nearly blinded me when I logged in today, what a waste of time and resources. Cannot understand why TG are spending time and resources on arbitrary stuff like this when there are so many unresolved issues.
      .....................................................................................................................................
      | Kato - SD | Helios - Hegem0ny | Helios - SP | Helios - L.S. | Apollo - DoH | Little Llama - DoH | Jesse Pinkman - Bar | Kali - -TG-
    • Tombo457 wrote:

My real complaint is that when a bug happens (mainly this is for more serious bugs that can affect the game) we are not told what went wrong, what caused this and what will be changed to stop this happening again. Without such communication, there is no way for the player base to build up a positive opinion on what Travian are doing to stop this, and basically, that they actually care about the future of the game.

It shouldn't be up to the CM and mods to try and chase for answers as to whats happening with bugs, the tech team should want to update its players on how well they are doing to fix these bugs, that will/would create a much better atmosphere amongst players and forum staff.
      I was literally spamming exactly this on the .com domain when two event jams happened within a few weeks. After a week or more, TK had dragged the answer to one of my questions out of HQ: what caused the event jams... But nothing else, and apparently it wasn't clear that was I was explaining, was how to handle any major bug occuring... Exactly as you say, with someone from HQ actually making a post or announcement in any form saying "X happened, which caused Y. We're fixing it atm, and will do Z to mitigate any issues. We'll try to make sure this won't happen again by doing this and this. We apologize for the inconvenience".

Instead we're stuck spamming the forums trying to get any sort of reply from someone who actually has any ability to make such an announcement, and all we get, if anything at all, is a single sentence passed on through a CM after days or even weeks.

But hey, it's no wonder that players have a hard time getting any communication from HQ - when it seems like such a drag for TGs own CMs to get any sort of reply from them.

Tombo457 wrote:

Agreed - probably didn't take much coding time. I understand the sentiment that this isn't what TG should be spending their time on, but I don't think it's a big issue. It looks kinda neat, though I'll probably turn it off after a few days because the background kills my eyes when I send out farmlists.

Animis opibusque parati

com8 (F&S beta) and now back to retirement...
    • wishmaster3 wrote:

The last two bugs went live on the com8 beta before being rolled out to the rest of the servers and domains - yet even though they were reported on the com8 beta, and there was a ~1-2 week timeframe between the beta rollout and global rollout, these bugs still made it on to all the other servers. I thought the whole point of having a beta and PTR servers were to catch bugs in updates, before you make them go live globally??? No point in updating them before the rest of the servers, if you don't act on the issues that arise...

Now, any of these events in isolation wouldn't be an issue - or well, they would of course, and there'd be plenty of complaining about it... But ultimately, yes, bugs do happen, and if they are fixed and any gains/damages from them are reversed, and they stop happening... The complaints will die out.

But all of the above issues have happened within a timeframe of half a year. Never has the game been as riddled with issues and bugs as it has been for the past 6 months (or less, even) - and not just small ones, but very severe and gamebreaking ones

This is actually also a very good point, I saw people like Hawk and TK talking in the other thread about not being able to replicate bugs until they are pushed to live etc. but the real issue we all have is this wasn't always a problem. A couple years ago, there wasn't any real bugs, so clearly something has changed in the process of testing updates, and that is exactly what we are interested in, what has changed with TG testing of updates.
    • It looks like they have been busy getting the new server ready for 2018, and pushed bug fixing down the priority list..

The new server looks interesting, but not sure about the name, calling it Travian:Legends could end up confusing a lot of people.

Not sure why you are calling it concerns of the UK domain, and then proceeds to

My issue is that the reason for the price increase doesn't make sense at all...I don't mind a price increase, but trying to tell your customers that its due to the USD, makes no sense imo.

And I have been allowed to talk about the current forum issues in this thread aswell, Yay!

So our previous CM m.hudson recently stepped down, and we instead got 2 new CMs, dario and Templar Knight, 2 is better than 1 right? Wrong.

Bye :rom08: :rom08: :rom08:

Thursday...

The post was edited 3 times, last by Templar Knight: Removed fake news and inflammatory statements against staff. ().

• MadZ wrote:

There is a display bug when you click to login and the length of the server in days isn't displayed anymore. Not sure whether to cry or laugh anymore.
      The length of server in days is displaying like it should be. Could you clear cache&cookies and then try again.
    • dario wrote:

MadZ wrote:

There is a display bug when you click to login and the length of the server in days isn't displayed anymore. Not sure whether to cry or laugh anymore.
      The length of server in days is displaying like it should be. Could you clear cache&cookies and then try again.
      Yeah cleared it and still got the bug, I'm using Safari on Mac (obviously), dunno if that could be a problem?
      ukx - MadZ (Hegemony) | Danny Zuko (GTB)
      uk1 - David Brent (MFH)
    • MadZ wrote:

dario wrote:

MadZ wrote:

Yeah cleared it and still got the bug, I'm using Safari on Mac (obviously), dunno if that could be a problem?
      I don't get it on safari and mac :?
    • Given the recent OS X update to High Sierra, it's possible there are some bugs unique to Safari. I know I've experienced a few of these outside of Travian which is often the case once a browser updates.

If you've already tried the fix Dario suggested, message Support in-game for the servers affected and they can feed this on. On initial inspection it appears the OSx update has caused the code to hiccup in a couple of places.