15 minute edit rule

By using our site, you accept the use of cookies to make your visit more pleasant, to offer you advertisements and contents tailored to your interests, to allow you to share content on social networks, and to create visit statistics for website optimisation. More information

• 15 minute edit rule

Please can this be looked into? I'm finding it infuriating while I'm working on the HoF to only be able to edit for up to 15 minutes. It must annoy people who want to make big posts like server analyses or WvV. It might encourage people to post more actively if they were able to go back and edit threads for a longer period of time.

Stand out Award 2017 UK
    • Seeing it as I'm a mod on another forum, where the users can only edit within a certain time frame aswell, the easiest work around, or rather the way to get a post edited, is to report your own post with the edits you want to be made.

• Mercedes wrote:

Please can this be looked into? I'm finding it infuriating while I'm working on the HoF to only be able to edit for up to 15 minutes. It must annoy people who want to make big posts like server analyses or WvV. It might encourage people to post more actively if they were able to go back and edit threads for a longer period of time.
      +1
      It would be better to have that edit option available for a longer time. It was available for much longer on the older VB forums I think.
    • One option would be to use the preview field, although it's not an exact replica. I know the ability to edit posts has been passed on as feedback though.

Bare with while I grab another coffee and I'll have a look for you :)
    • The Statesman wrote:

It would be better to have that edit option available for a longer time. It was available for much longer on the older VB forums I think.
      Well, it was changed because people were going back and editing their posts to violate the forum guidelines without any Mods noticing, and surely they wont change it atm when they are lacking staff.

And Mercedes, you have to click "More Options" to get the preview field.

• Lemon wrote:

The Statesman wrote:

Well, it was changed because people were going back and editing their posts to violate the forum guidelines without any Mods noticing, and surely they wont change it atm when they are lacking staff.
      But it was there for a very long time. I didn't see it being misused that much. And the other active forum users in that thread would usually report such posts anyway. (About the forum lacking staff, they can always recruit more :whistling: )
    • It's not exactly on topic but probably the best place atm:

Since the time-frame for editing posts has been restricted I cannot edit my posts at all, not even right after i have sent my post. It's not possible to send the edited version, browser doesn't load. This might be due to ... dunno? some ad-/pop-up blocker which I am using? I have disabled them all for the forum but still I am unable to edit. Messages to the CM haven't helped.

That's quite annoying...

"Between impulse and action there is a realm of good taste begging for your acquaintance."
      (the doctor, voy4/25)
    • Schmitz wrote:

It's not exactly on topic but probably the best place atm:

Since the time-frame for editing posts has been restricted I cannot edit my posts at all, not even right after i have sent my post. It's not possible to send the edited version, browser doesn't load. This might be due to ... dunno? some ad-/pop-up blocker which I am using? I have disabled them all for the forum but still I am unable to edit. Messages to the CM haven't helped.

That's quite annoying...
      That sometimes happens to me too. It's just a temporary glitch.
      If sending takes too long, just hit 'back' on your browser, then forward again, it should have the edit already typed out. (happens to me 9/10 times)
      Do a ctrl+a and ctrl+c, and refresh the topic.

If your post is edited, cool.
      If not, try again.
    • Was thinking about this at work yesterday as we have just moved to a new computer system and having similar issues with getting timed out and losing all the data that we are inputting.

Disclaimer, I have never made a HoF or End Game hammer entry, so don't know if this would even be possible...

But, could you use a word doc with hyperlinks, enter all the data this way and then c&p the final edit into the forum ?
    • Cali wrote:

Was thinking about this at work yesterday as we have just moved to a new computer system and having similar issues with getting timed out and losing all the data that we are inputting.

Disclaimer, I have never made a HoF or End Game hammer entry, so don't know if this would even be possible...

But, could you use a word doc with hyperlinks, enter all the data this way and then c&p the final edit into the forum ?
      If the formatting of the forum supports your Word formatting, then yes, that should work.
      You could even go a step beyond and do it completely with BB code in notpad, and just copy paste it in BB code mode.

Lemon wrote:

The formatting on the forum loves to mess up things you c/p...Think that's the biggest issue.
      Only when you have certain formatting like text size and centered text.
      Plain text at 10p c/p's just fine.