Forum Security and Spam bots

By using our site, you accept the use of cookies to make your visit more pleasant, to offer you advertisements and contents tailored to your interests, to allow you to share content on social networks, and to create visit statistics for website optimisation. More information

• A spambot spamming and after 15minutes still no ban/removal... not even a glance at his profile.

Surely mods are just people, but there is/was 15-20 of them active at the point, yet nothing. I'm not saying moderation is bad, because that would get me banned, but I feel like 90% of them don't give the slightest crap about spambots.

Feels like the ''How many people do you need to change a lightbulb'' situation. :D

#rude
  • Administrator wrote:

Juat a reminder.
    Mods are community bounded, so it also might be that those 15 mods you saw online didn't see the bot, because they are not bounded to UK community. Have thought about this?
    I sure hope that the mods with UK in their title are subscribed to the UK forum, if not...I think the current crew problem is worse than expected 8|

• notorious crunchie wrote:

I’m not flaming at all.

Incompetent and negligent were adjectives used accurately, thus it isn’t flaming. It’s an honest opinion.

Does disagreeing count as flaming these days?
    This is another thing I have mentioned before, but TG clearly didn't listen...

I don't understand how you can have people enforce the forum rules when they don't even understand them...It shouldn't be too hard to find a native English speaker to run UK, US, COM and AU...Or at least teach the current crew how the language work...Or just how language work in general, since it looks like they don't know what flaming and inflammatory statements are.

Simple things TG...Simple things...

• Mercedes wrote:

MOD Deadpool - has the amazing ability to be American and Australian at the same time according to his profile.
    Hi.

Those are the domains I worked before we shifted to this forum. I belong to neither, but I can only add 2 flags to my profile.

As far as deleting bot posts goes, please consider the fact that the forum may be one of the many tabs open on our browsers. I usually keep it open whenever I am on my computer even if I am busy with something else. I do check whenever I can but 24 hour coverage is not possible even if I might be 'online'. Nevertheless, we regret the inconvenience and we will definitely try to do better.

Have a good day/night.
  • Mod Deadpool wrote:

As far as deleting bot posts goes, please consider the fact that the forum may be one of the many tabs open on our browsers. I usually keep it open whenever I am on my computer even if I am busy with something else. I do check whenever I can but 24 hour coverage is not possible even if I might be 'online'. Nevertheless, we regret the inconvenience and we will definitely try to do better.
    Imagine if someone already had a tool that automatically would notify them whenever a bot posted? Would be amazing!

Oh wait, that's already a thing :sleeping:

And even better automatically delete them instead of notifying mods!

• Mercedes wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

So which servers on the UK have you played and which alliance are you with? Always good to have a moderator on the team who understands the community :)
    I actually played with Flock on UK1 (I think)many years ago. I joined to cover for a friend and never left.

@Lemon, I am not sure what tool you are talking about. If you know of something that could be helpful, please forward it to TK or Ameno.

The issue here, I believe, is that there is no way to identify the spam bots. They could very well be doing it manually and thus you need an actual human instead of a script/tool to handle the issue.
  • Mercedes wrote:

Ah well in that case, you will know lots of my friends. I played with Flock too for a while. What was your IGN? Which round of UK1 was it? Flock have played a few servers.
    It was in around 2013 or 2014 if I am not wrong. I don't really remember the nick. You can PM me if you'd like to talk about this since this is a bit off topic for this thread.
  • I hope you realise that it's the same ones get through every time? Batman is very, very busy on this forum :p

Mod Deadpool wrote:

Mercedes wrote:

Ah well in that case, you will know lots of my friends. I played with Flock too for a while. What was your IGN? Which round of UK1 was it? Flock have played a few servers.
    It was in around 2013 or 2014 if I am not wrong. I don't really remember the nick. You can PM me if you'd like to talk about this since this is a bit off topic for this thread.
    Congratulations on being the only active UK Moderator to have ever played a UK server once several years ago. I'm happy to reminisce with you via pm if you feel the need, but I'm still in contact with and/or playing alongside various previous Flockers so I'm good.

Back to the topic which was ... what was it again? Spam I think!

Stand out Award 2017 UK