Please clarify

By using our site, you accept the use of cookies to make your visit more pleasant, to offer you advertisements and contents tailored to your interests, to allow you to share content on social networks, and to create visit statistics for website optimisation. More information

The Tournament 2018 Qualification has started!
    Don't miss Safiren's Corner!

The dev diary about The Journey of a bug is now available!
    Don't miss it: Dev Diary: The Journey Of A Bug
    Comments or questions? Discuss it here!

• Please clarify

I would (still) love some clarification about the following rule:

• § 3. Use of external programs
      • Travian: Legends must be played using an unmodified, conventional browser. The use of scripts and/or bots to automate actions on the account or to resemble premium features is forbidden.

Please clarify:

• "Conventional", what is a conventional browser?
      • "Unmodified", which add-ons and plugins are considered modifications?
      • "Scripts ... automate actions", does this include scripts that login on a "dummy" account to fetch information from the game, e.g. hero experience- or attacker points, which is not available without logging in? Is the creation of a dummy account for this purpose allowed to begin with? Or does it only apply to scripts automating actions on a "real" player's account.
      <3 <3 Thanks!
      Two lessons some prominent Travian forum contributors should learn:
      1. It's better to remain silent and keep everyone in doubt, than to speak and take all doubt away
      2. Don't tell us what you know, in stead, know what you tell us
    • Jump to the most helpful post

• Frisian_COM wrote:

• "Conventional", what is a conventional browser?

Hello Frisian

Conventional browser means any browser that can be used today(opera, chrome, edge and so on)

Frisian_COM wrote:

• "Unmodified", which add-ons and plugins are considered modifications

Unmodified means you cannot use any add-on or scripts on your browser that makes anything you do on the game automatic.

Frisian_COM wrote:

• "Scripts ... automate actions", does this include scripts that login on a "dummy" account to fetch information from the game, e.g. hero experience- or attacker points, which is not available without logging in? Is the creation of a dummy account for this purpose allowed to begin with? Or does it only apply to scripts automating actions on a "real" player's account.

Yes this includes that as well.

If you want a more detailed explanation then you should contact the Multi-Hunter for the server you are on as they can go over them in more detail with you.

Forum Users Guide - USER GUIDE
      Forum Rules & Guidelines - FORUM RULES
      Game Rules & Guidelines - GAME RULES
    • Templar Knight wrote:

Frisian_COM wrote:

[list][*]
      [/list]

Frisian_COM wrote:

If you want a more detailed explanation then you should contact the Multi-Hunter for the server you are on as they can go over them in more detail with you.

Considering how many THOUSANDS of lines of skype discussions over this I have seen just in the past month, let alone the past 10 years on this exact subject I feel that taking this private, offline, direct to MH would be wrong...

The issue is that there is so much subject to interpretation, particularly as different scripts do different things, many of them having nothing to do with the game and apparently resulting in bans from time to time. Now, I am not speaking from experience, I always run a vanilla browser and the extent of my bans have been for language and profile descriptions. lol.

But with new add-ons to browsers available daily, and the hope of new players starting Travian, it NEEDs to be clearer what is and is not allowed. Maybe a love list of allowed and not allowed? A list of browsers that are allowed (Obviously Opera, Chrome, FF, Safari, Edge, but there are many others that are growing in usage and some of these could have built in systems that may trigger ban/cheat/multi alerts?

This ongoing taboo about banning discussion has been in place for the 10 years I have been playing, however it just results in mass offline frustration. Particularly as our MH (all respect to them) are just human, with lives to live and as far as I know, still un paid for their services..) Therefore, timeframes on responses on speed vs normal, reactions and punishments being even handed, different MH's having a different perspective on what punishment is leveled.

I personally feel this should all be more open to discussion and interpretation.
    • Templar Knight wrote:

Ok. So, here's my follow up.

Let's say I offer a defense tool. This tool allows players to register an account on my website. They can copy/paste data into this tool (e.g. troops, incoming attacks etc.), which is all legal, assuming they use no browser-plugins to help passing this data to the tool. The tool lists these in a back-end and admins can view the data (e.g. the troops and incoming attacks). So far, all legal.

But now assume this tool creates a "dummy" account on every server it works on. The users of the tool never know about it, since this happens in the background, all autonomously by the provider of the tool. This dummy account is used to poll the Travian server in question, automatically, to fetch the several top 100's (e.g. to find the experience count of a hero, or the attacker score of a player). Then this tool enriches it's data (put in there in legally by the users) with this dummy account's data (which is illegal).

Now....in this scenario... WHO is operating illegally and WHO should suffer consequences?

Only the coder of the tool, creating the dummy account in question (which may easily remain undetected)? Or the end-users of the system, who benefit from this illegal script, but are (mostly) unaware of it?

Banning just the dummy account (if it gets detected), does not solve the issue: Alliances who use this tool WILL use the illegally obtained data for their benefit. Beyond this, obviously the script/tool will just create a new dummy account.

Obviously, I am talking about Travian-ally-tools -

This tool automatically polls hero-experience points at set intervals, without any user input. This is impossible to do legally (to my best knowledge). The tool is used by MANY alliances on MANY servers. They all benefit from the illegal data, obtained by illegal operations, but these illegal operations are performed without their explicit consent, by the tool, in the background.

Banning all the players using this system would be unreasonable. Banning the dummy accounts (which I assume the tool uses), would not make any difference.

WHAT is Travian's position on this??

Forwarding me to the MH with this type of question obviously won't work. I tried it there. Got forwarded to the community (here) and to the admins (by email). Both to no avail so far. It seems to be a question Travian has no answer to itself.
      1. It's better to remain silent and keep everyone in doubt, than to speak and take all doubt away

The post was edited 7 times, last by Frisian_COM ().

• Frisian_COM wrote:

Now....in this scenario... WHO is operating illegally and WHO should suffer consequences?
      I hope both accounts would suffer consequences.

Players who benefit from this script is doing illegal - unaware or not. This script is not working as a browser add-on but as an analysis bot (whatever), and the source of this data is not the .sql but "dummy" accounts (wich run the script to do automate actions) - so it's illegal, but it's just my point.

It reminds me of crop finder, many and many years ago. Crop finder was forbidden but detect its use is impossible (as well as these other tools), and because this (or not) TG set this tool as a premium feature.

I agree 100% with morgasshk_AU and you, Frisian_COM, this terms should be clear.
      Nostalgia passar por aqui
    • Well, if the dummy account is bots - which it is. It should be punished and it does. So what is the issue? None of us "That do not have our own defense tool" minds that an account is being punished and "all 4 sides of the map" benefit from that since that tool is public. If punishment is required - it should be given to the non-public tools that uses this data for the good of their own alliances only.

And if TG is looking for solutions to handle this, they could just build their own official defense tool. Just like what TG did with the cropper finders that was mentioned above. And start developing that one based on the needs of players - so that there'll be no requirements for an alternative one.

AbounA wrote:

i just want u to know i have no prob with u not knowing good English but don't act smart and use stuff i said that u don't even understand to try to hurt me bro
    • fnx wrote:

Well, if the dummy account is bots - which it is. It should be punished and it does. So what is the issue? None of us "That do not have our own defense tool" minds that an account is being punished and "all 4 sides of the map" benefit from that since that tool is public. If punishment is required - it should be given to the non-public tools that uses this data for the good of their own alliances only.
      Exactly. The tool is public. The hero XP is the only piece of questionable info provided by it, barely useful when it comes to serious level. yes, it is against the rule but the field is leveled still.

fnx wrote:

And if TG is looking for solutions to handle this, they could just build their own official defense tool. Just like what TG did with the cropper finders that was mentioned above. And start developing that one based on the needs of players - so that they'll be no requirements for an alternative one.
      And again, exactly. If this topic is to shut the only available public tool (which give advantage to team with their private tools and by no means will make game more fair) I "cheer" TC honest intentions to put nails into travian coffin. If these are honest intentions and not an attempt to gain an advantage because someone has private tool which does exactly the same :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by ELE ().

• As a DC, this tool is invaluable. Frankly I don't know how I did it prior to the tool. DCing is such a terribly difficult job and this is one the few things out there that makes the job easier, less time consuming and bearable.

I do not have 12 hours a day to sift through google form related data. This tool cuts the analysis portion of DCing by at least half. Not to mention the burden on players to report the data on such a form. In short the tool is vital.

Frankly without it I would seriously reconsider whether I want to DC again or even play at all. Without DCs the game is one-sided and will die.

Ideally Legends would take a note out of the Kingdoms notebook and utilize an API so third party tools can function "legally". Of course doing so would probably require a massive code overhaul.

The rules as written are too absolute, there needs to be room for legitimate third party tools to operate and not simply "tolerated". (legitimate being things that don't "cheat", like bots, account automation, raiding scripts etc.)
      Veteran Legends Site|Join Our Discord
      Community Feedback | Game Encyclopedia | History Anthology | 3rd-Party Tool Modernization

Carni wrote:

God I would kill to have like 4 of you on every team I play

The post was edited 1 time, last by BlackBlade ().

• Frisian_COM , are you trying to get travian-ally "removed" from the scene so that you can profit from a def tool you are making ?
      Marduk , R.Unite leader on old S5.com
      MCE member on s4.com
      Ass , Best/Nest on old s6.com
      Teoavo75 , Rep SW - now *****Rep - leader on s1.com , GF Hold member
      Teoavo75 , marduk , tiberius , nexus - SGR
      Drei - CWL
    • Leoric wrote:

I agree 100% with morgasshk_AU and you, Frisian_COM, this terms should be clear.
      Yes, thanks Leoric. That's exactly my point. Perhaps I could summarize my whole question as a request for a manual. We got the map.sql and hero_body.php, which seems to be available to anyone to use, but anything else seems to require a login. It would be good to get some more "technical" documentation, is there such a thing?
    • Absolutely agree with ELE and BlackBlade. We have worked with spread sheets for years which was not only highly time consuming for the deff coordination but also a pain for all our members who were filling in the sheets for hours. Moreover, one has to stop collecting data at a certian point in time, so the troops could still make it to the designed / presumed target.
      This was not only annoying for everyone but also hard for new members / unexperienced players especially who aren't as fast with the sheet as those who got used to it.
      A tool which makes everyone capeable to insert what's happening on their rps right away by c&p reduces the 'stupid' work to a minimum and gives the dc the chance to actually _read_ the attacks. Well. If they can ofc.
      The hero-part of the tool is not necessary - more to the contrary: It provides information that might add more harm than use to def planning. So every reasonable dc would tell their members to PLEASE ignore this section of the tool and only rely on what changes of gear and/or xp s/he sees him-/herself.
      I personally would be glad if it was possible to just disable this hero-tool and use the rest only. Not only because of what the rules say about "taking data directly from the server" but also because deff planning would be way calmer w/o people yelling out false information which they think they have encountered.
      Moreover, @Frisian_COM could lean back in peace :)

"Between impulse and action there is a realm of good taste begging for your acquaintance."
      (the doctor, voy4/25)
    • ELE wrote:

And again, exactly. If this topic is to shut the only available public tool (which give advantage to team with their private tools and by no means will make game more fair) I "cheer" TC honest intentions to put nails into travian coffin. If these are honest intentions and not an attempt to gain an advantage because someone has private tool which does exactly the same
      It definitely is not my intention, at all.

The main question is: the rules is not totally clear about this.

Using this tool is illegal or not? Since the use of scripts and bots (public or not) is forbidden, the use of this tool should also be because reasons said above. But here we are: even if it is illegal, thousands of players benefit from this tool, and it remains undetected (and always will be undetected) - therefore, TG have to consider this fact.

If this tool is illegal: TG can't ban any player account because this is undected, so this tool will always be used. If your enemy could use this without consequences, why would not you, too? TG should rethink about that.

If this tool is (or becames) legal: would be a great idea if TG set this as a game feature, every (new/average) player would be able to use this. Why not? C'mon TG!

In both cases: THIS HAVE TO BE CLARIFIED.
      Nostalgia passar por aqui
    • To give my view on this as a multihunter (yes, I hunt too), that is exactly the kind of botting that would be caught and banned.
      Every new account would also be banned until the registration is closed.

I'm actually confused as to why a tool such as this even exists, as Gettertools has been around since T2.5.
      Yes: the data there is solely based on what players provide, but that's what makes it legal.

It's the automatic creation of dummy accounts and logging in to mine data that is illegal.
      It's usually impossible to punish all users that use external tools that do this.

There's not much to interpret about "conventional" browsers.
      Since the meaning is: "based on or in accordance with what is generally done or believed."

That means that any niche browser or newly created browser that is not (yet) mainstream, is not allowed.

"Modified" basically covers any and all plug-in, even if it was made to only change the appearance of your village with locally stored graphics... it's a modification, thus not allowed.

"Scripts" are anything and everything that automates user actions. Even auto-refresh to keep you from having to login after every 5 minutes of inactivity.

But this is a general idea, as we can't be specific.
      We'd have to alter the prohibited plug-in and script list daily, since they develop so many every day.
    • Weren't things like this clarified already? Though not all in 1 topic, but over the years from different people posting.

I think it's something like this...

What is allowed: calculators (Kirilloid), troop ''libraries'' (TroopTool) and some evidence things I've seen such as Push/Defense log library to see who sent res/troops.

What's not allowed: Anything that does any function in the game automatically instead of manually. So anything that does something instead of you (wavebuiler, autoNPC, farmingbot, blahblah...) I honestly don't know how many exist, but with the coding knowledge of some people anything could exist.
      Time to stop reasoning. (:
    • MuchachoNL wrote:

I'm actually confused as to why a tool such as this even exists, as Gettertools has been around since T2.5.
      We all got it, TG staff does not play the game. No need to embarrassed your self any farther really. There is nothing remotely close on getter to what the tool provides. If TG cared about better game experience they would talk to the owner long ago, ask him nicely to remove one small piece of questionable info and beg for the permission to incorporate the tool in game. Or rather offer him to buy it out.
    • MuchachoNL wrote:

To give my view on this as a multihunter (...)

Wow.
      So, lemme understand this slowly.

You are a multi hunter, right? representative of... and so on.
      And you think GT that doesn't allow players to put in any actual attacks that can be read by others could help a deff-coordinator to decide where to set up a wall?

might I ask a question? have you ever been in the (probably uncomfortable) position to coordinate def?

"Between impulse and action there is a realm of good taste begging for your acquaintance."
      (the doctor, voy4/25)
    • Yes, I've been defco for quite a few servers actually, but I used my own "incoming attack form" that they needed to fill in and PM me, and I'd check GT where the nearest def was.
      Yes, it's probably more work than what that tool offers (I haven't used that specific tool), but the automated "dummy" account creation which will gather information is the most obvious illegal part of that tool.
      I won't say anything else about that tool, as I'm not familiar with it.

I actually still like using GT, even as a defco.

ELE wrote:

MuchachoNL wrote:

We all got it, TG staff does not play the game. No need to embarrassed your self any farther really. There is nothing remotely close on getter to what the tool provides. If TG cared about better game experience they would talk to the owner long ago, ask him nicely to remove one small piece of questionable info and beg for the permission to incorporate the tool in game. Or rather offer him to buy it out.
      Oh, it probably does. Just because I've never heard about the tool doesn't mean I haven't played the game.
      Strange comparison to make: as if to say that someone who thinks old fashioned cars are better than modern cars with all their technology never drives a car...

It doesn't negate the fact that GT is useful in its way. Nor that the automatic account creation and data mining is illegal.
      Still it's all about personal preferences, and no one way is superior to the other in a way that the other way can be totally dismissed.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MuchachoNL ().

• MuchachoNL wrote:

Yes, I've been defco for quite a few servers actually, but I used my own "incoming attack form" that they needed to fill in and PM me, and I'd check GT where the nearest def was.
      Right because this is such a good way to sort 400-500 incoming attacks (with multiple waves) on 10-20 players from anywhere from 5-40 attackers (on a typical US server). Analyzing attacks in a spreadsheet pales in comparison to the tool.

Knowing the proximity of defense isn't of itself enough. You need to be able to figure out how much defense, get the call out. find players that are on, make sure coverage is in place to manage the incoming defense. Plus get snipes lists, keep track of the defense moving where. Then you need to assess the damage after, keeping track of who hit where, who faked where, land times of all those etc

I wouldn't be able to do all of that in a spreadsheet alone. I spend on average about 5-6 hrs per defense call doing all of this. Moving it all to a spreadsheet would easily double that time. I use spreadsheets to complement the tool, not replace the tool. I do not have 12 hours a day to respond to defense calls. The time I do spend is still too much.

The Hero XP bit is also essential to the process, it can help rule out attacks. Though skilled attackers would avoid sending their hero purposely to try and defeat it.

ELE wrote:

beg for the permission to incorporate the tool in game. Or rather offer him to buy it out.
      There are a bunch of third party tools that would be better off being available within the game. I would even pay Travian for the privilege of using them! Of course I also worry about such things becoming bug ridden as we've seen each new server patch to be. Third party tool operators in my experience have been nothing but responsive, both to emails and in actually fixing problems as they come up.
      Veteran Legends Site|Join Our Discord
      Community Feedback | Game Encyclopedia | History Anthology | 3rd-Party Tool Modernization

Carni wrote:

God I would kill to have like 4 of you on every team I play
    • Yes, you're right.
      For 400-500 incoming attacks that would be way too much.
      NL domain is much smaller, so I've only had to deal with 1/10th of that.
      Fortunately, we had even less attackers (maybe 10 at most) so it was a bit easier.

And also yes, heroes were usually excluded from the waves to try and catch me off guard.

I won't say I was a great defco, but I've seen through most fake jabs and put the def mostly where it was really needed.
      Still: nothing compared to attacks of that magnitude, so I do know my limits.