Currently reading?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Would you like to know what’s going on in the Tournament 2017 Finals?
    Keep yourself updated by reading "The Corner"!

• I marathon'd (<new word?!) warehouse 13 a year or so ago to the point I had to give up partway through a season. Now I feel like watching it again but don't know where I am in the season or even which season I stopped watching it in.

Continuum is simply awesome, one of my favourite shows. Weirdly, non of my friends who watch a lot of tv shows seem to have heard of it.

On the book front:
      Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1) - Anthony Ryan

Rereads:
      The name of the wind - Patrick Rothfuss
      The wise mans fear - Patrick Rothfuss
      The Novice - Trudi Canavan
      The High Lord - Trudi Canavan
      The Magician's Apprentice - Trudi Canavan
      The Ambassador's Mission - Trudi Canavan
      The Traitor Queen - Trudi Canavan

I've bought a ton of books recently so just need to find the time to read them. Annoyingly, my goodreads 'to-read' list has 104 books and non of the ones I've just purchased are on that list.

On the topic of buying books I've spent the last 4 years buying books in electronic format. Previous to that I took great delight in purchasing first edition hardcopies to fill my bookshelf. I'm not sure if its because hardcopies have substance, or its the way they age through time and use, but I've always felt a certain level of achievement in building my bookshelf collection that I don't get when buying in electronic format. So last night I decided I'd restart my collecting by re-purchasing all of my electric books in hardcopies.

So onto Amazon I went only to find its now hard to get hold of hardcopies. Does anyone else have this problem? Not only was the general price of a hardcopy around £15, half the books I had only had the option to buy 'used' hardcopies with the price of some copies being £50 or more. Then there were the self published books in my collection that looked even harder to get hold of. Is this always the case or would it be better me trying to buy them in store? Re-buying the lot using the cheapest options gave me a frightening sum so now I'm not so sure whether I want to do it anymore.
      ukx4, ukx7, ukx8 & ukx10 - wgn, wgn, wgn & wgn , ukx11 - emily , ukx12 - Milkyway , ukx13 - Smelly Romans , ukx14 - Ayra & illii
      s1,7 - Raving Cabbage

The post was edited 3 times, last by wgn ().

• I think it depends what you want to buy. I often buy books from Amazon for 99p but then other times when I look for something specific that's out of print it will be some outrageous price like £50 for a basic paperback. Abebooks is another web site you can try, but I think collecting proper hardback copies of books has become similar to the situation with music and vinyl records - they are just put out now for collectors.

I did start buying really nice hardback copies for a while, but living in an old house in Cornwall left all my books spotted with mildew. It never stops raining from about September to March down here ...
    • mercy wrote:

Still not sure about Terry Goodkind -been distracted by a Netflix fest- I discovered Continuum and Warehouse 13 so for a brief couple of weeks I have been dragged away from books and into TV.

Continuum <3

wgn wrote:

Continuum is simply awesome, one of my favourite shows. Weirdly, non of my friends who watch a lot of tv shows seem to have heard of it.

The Canadian Show? And it is filmed in Vancouver too. <3 But to be honest I have wagoned off and have not seen any tv show since landing myself in Australia.

"What wisdom can you find that is greater than kindness?"
      Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    • The Way of Shadows - Brent Weeks
      Shadow's Edge - Brent Weeks
      Beyond the Shadows - Brent Weeks
      Heir of Fire - Sarah J. Maas

Rereads:
      Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas
      Crown of Midnight - Sarah J. Maas

ukx4, ukx7, ukx8 & ukx10 - wgn, wgn, wgn & wgn , ukx11 - emily , ukx12 - Milkyway , ukx13 - Smelly Romans , ukx14 - Ayra & illii
      s1,7 - Raving Cabbage

The post was edited 2 times, last by wgn ().

• Factoring Humanity by Robert J Sawyer. Absolutely stunning read for anyone who likes plausible Sci Fi. Possible the best Sci Fi writer I have found since Arthur C Clarke. This is going to be vying with my all time favourite of The City and the Stars.
    • Just finished reading The Diamond Chariot by Boris Akunin - great read!!

It is one of a series of novels about a Russian detective called Erast Fandorin set in the late 1800s to early 1900s.

Well worth discovering.

Los
    • Hostage - Chris Bradford
      Ransom - Chris Bradford

^ Similar to the Cherub series but he quickly bulldozes in his own theme so you'll quickly stop drawing similarities.

Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard

^ Enjoyable yet predictable. She attempted some epic twists that I saw coming a mile away.
      s1,7 - Raving Cabbage
    • Contact - Carl Sagan, hard going but worth the effort
      Infected - Scott Sigler - very silly but OK, reminded me a bit of John Wyndham
      James Patterson Women's Murder Club - book one was good but gory, book 2 is a good suspense read. Not sure whether James Patterson as a male writer really understands what makes a woman tick but the plots are good.
    • Im reading loads at the moment due to no trav
      (well I say *no* then I made a little account to watch from - after artefacts :D - but it feels like 'no' - dont even have a 9c :D)

Ive been reading this funny trash fiction author called Kim Harrison - she writes about a witch, a vampire and a pixie who run a sort of crime busting agency .... loads of books in the series - and the pixie is incredibly funny

its pulp brain candy - full of calories no nutrition :D but fun read

Cait