Steve's Roman Start Guide

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Would you like to know what’s going on in the Tournament 2017 Finals?
    Keep yourself updated by reading "The Corner"!

• Ok thanks should be helpful. I think my biggest problem in past servers has always been I build too many resources too early and don't get my second village soon enough. I will try it differently this time :)
    • TJH123 wrote:

Ok thanks should be helpful. I think my biggest problem in past servers has always been I build too many resources too early and don't get my second village soon enough. I will try it differently this time :)

Its an easy trap to fall into in your spawn. Building up your fields is tempting but getting your second village, in what will be your cluster area, should be your main goal.
    • It depends on the location + environment a little as well. And there is no point having settler/residence before your culture points are ready either :p

So I usually build some raiding troops (35 phals if gaul; 100 - 200 mace if teuton - for various reasons I don't like high negative wheat at server start) and build up wheat fields then clay/wood (I npc so the balance isn't a problem). So if I happen to manage to kill troops, then at least my wheat income is high :D And iron fields consume a lot of wheat so I don't tend to build them up until I've got lvl 3 wheats at least. Raiding oasis is a good source of income now.

I build settlers + residence when my fields are all around level 6 (and usually survive with no cranny or traps - but this depends on neighbours and degree of sleep wanted). With level 6 fields if using 25% plus bonus, then it takes around 24 hrs per settler to get enough resources.

For culture points, if I'm lucky then I get art work from adventures; but the key is to do the good culture point buildings - main, market and academy (and usually embassy as well) - these are good to get at around level 3/4 then they will be quietly earning cp for you in the background. If I'm feeling rich, then I'd get a town hall / party.

That's not entirely scientific - as it's a little intuitive; but if I'm paying a moderate amount of attention then I'd usually be among the first dozen or so to settle of my particular tribe on the server.
    • I think the problem I have always fallen into is thinking 'What will help me tomorrow?', rather than 'What will help me in a month's time?'. Just pre-registered for S1 though, going for a different approach this time, maybe do a little better! Thanks for everyones help :)
    • Yup - looking forward is really important. I usually have a long term plan when I start a server and pretty much stick to it (give or take distractions along the way) - and the plan is a little different each year :)

So for example, depending on the plan / tribe, I'd know whether I was pushing to grab one of the best croppers (army building years) as soon as possible or whether I'm a bit more relaxed (defence years) ... and whether to sim to TTs or raid to them (depends on the server and how dry raiding is likely to be)