[Rise of Alliances] Feedback

Would you like to know what’s going on in the Tournament 2017 Finals?
    Keep yourself updated by reading "The Corner"!

• I feel that a reworking of the tutorial is a very good idea - it is something I've raised before but you've done it far more eloquently. The game has evolved a long way and the part most lacking in the tutorial (imo) is an understanding of the game being a team pursuit - the average new player hasn't a clue that they'll be either off or def, leading to a totally unfocussed beginning for most of them. So I think your suggestion is great.

Decorative items too. It seems incredible, but yes, players will willingly pay for things to do nothing except look good on a profile. I know this from dev work on another game. Vanity is a big thing :D

As for the price of the incorporate feature... it is intended to be very steep on purpose, to dissuade people from using it to the point of unbalancing gameplay. But you are correct, that for people with deep pockets, it will create a huge gulf between the rich and the not-so-rich. More to the point, there are a LOT of players who are very clever, not very rich, but very determined. A previously noted fear was that alliances would evolve to deal with these greedy-broke players to the point that they recruited "support" accounts who are included only to be raided. Players already get around the alliance raiding limits by having confeds and friendly-raiding the other alliance. Nothing in the way of rules or technical limits could really stop this unless raiding itself gets stopped, because these arrangements are done in places like Skype. :(
    • That's kind of why I feel the incorporate feature was poorly thought out to begin with. I understand where it was needed, I played on the com servers once and defense completely out scales offense but we removed auctions because of fraud, then introduce a new feature that is even easier to abuse... Using cost as the limiting factor doesn't work to well(at least not for this kind of bonus), the real limit needs to come from limiting numbers of troops or frequency. I know I'm in the US server fighting one of those alliances with farm wings as part of a 4 man alliance(we're going to destroy them, at the cost of our accounts :p).

The tutorial has stuck out to me for awhile, it is way too cut throat for new players. Let new players learn things like how to launch simultaneous waves on their own, but the core game foundation is needed for them to get past the first few weeks of the game. It would also make the game a lot less boring for everyone at the start. Leaving beginner protection with imperians, EI's, and maybe siege troops(IDK if it should go this far) would be way more fun. Maybe a 1-2 week timer on siege troops being available for use.

DOTA/LoL gave me the idea for those kinds of items, I also think there are other areas they could expand this idea to help monetize the game in a way that is more friendly to the competitive players. I think T4 had a decent balance, absent the hero items that encouraged players to blow around 600 gold on a single item(I was the benefactor once).
    • I haven't played Travian for several years because the WW stage became very samey. In general I like the new direction. A couple of thoughts though on improvements, most of which have been touched upon by some of the earlier posts:
      (i) The map is too big - In the distant past, I have played on servers where many tens of thousands of players started. With a lower draw, the map needs to shrink proportionally.
      (ii) A lower player draw necessitates a greater gold focus if the game is to be worth maintaining. This game achieves that, but no/low gold users are now at a far greater disadvantage. I would assign the weekly medals a gold value (top 20 not just top 10) to give a break to those with lighter wallets.
      (iii) The amount of attacking and defending seems to be lower than I recall. Total attacks and casualties seem to be declining as time goes on rather than rising. Boosting the importance of medals and shrinking the map may help address this but, so far, it seems to me that once you hit someone he goes inactive or deletes - no all-nighters dodging attacks, wave-breaking etc. I would get rid of the evade function and instead provide a reward system to encourage people to go to war and to defend against war - e.g. cages (to capture nature troops) for those who successfully defend their cities, ointments (to heal hero) for those who successfully clear a city, tablets (the city loyalty points booster) for those who chief a city and some sort of buff for rams and catapults for those who raze a city to the ground. No trading of these items - that would defeat their purpose. The ram/cata buffs are important as it should encourage the clearing of farms so that raiders need to seek new targets rather than just going again and again for the low-hanging fruit, thereby hopefully leading to more war.
      (iv) This new game format looks to be sim to win - the mid-game lull (that the designers sought to address with the invention of artefacts) is going to be substantial. To address this, I suggest that any alliance that, after a declaration of war, causes a top 5 alliance to drop out of the top 5 (as determined at the end of the week by the largest infliction of population drop by chiefings and razings) should benefit from a very serious reward - troop stats buff, artefacts, gold, etc
    • Elisa wrote:

Decorative items too. It seems incredible, but yes, players will willingly pay for things to do nothing except look good on a profile. I know this from dev work on another game. Vanity is a big thing :D

[HQ RESPONSE] This will be discussed with the Game Director

Ya_dun_goofed wrote:

The tutorial has stuck out to me for awhile, it is way too cut throat for new players. Let new players learn things like how to launch simultaneous waves on their own, but the core game foundation is needed for them to get past the first few weeks of the game. It would also make the game a lot less boring for everyone at the start. Leaving beginner protection with imperians, EI's, and maybe siege troops(IDK if it should go this far) would be way more fun. Maybe a 1-2 week timer on siege troops being available for use.
      ).

[HQ Response] it is really difficult to create a tutorial which both addressees new players and the complexity of Travian with its social bounds. We've wanted to evaluate how Travian does work without a Tutorial.

Based on the results we might add a help system to Travian which is not a tutorial or at least takes over many things to learn in a way more presentable way.
      CM mhudson
      Community Manager
      Travian: Legends US/UK

128-10-93-85-10-128-98-112-6-6-25-126-39-1-68-78
    • CM mhudson wrote:

[HQ RESPONSE] This will be discussed with the Game Director

[HQ Response] it is really difficult to create a tutorial which both addressees new players and the complexity of Travian with its social bounds. We've wanted to evaluate how Travian does work without a Tutorial.

Based on the results we might add a help system to Travian which is not a tutorial or at least takes over many things to learn in a way more presentable way.

Hudson, if I were to go into more depth on how to design such a tutorial would the team be interested in that? It'll be on the back burner till December though.
    • Elisa wrote:

I have, on another mmo strategy war game, paid for a decorative item on my profile. Players have characters (a lot like heros, but their version of a hero isn't used in-game) and I paid for a background. It didn't even cost £1, but it looks nice. You can also pay for different designs to the villages so that at each stage of expansion, they look different to the usual style. Options for festive / seasonal designs too. I would suggest doing some research though and providing something exciting that fits in with the theme of Travian - or else it's an obvious money making tool and we all know how much players love those.

Another bit of feedback - can't remember if I've moaned about this already or if someone else has but the hero reset times feel a bit disproportionate after level 15-20. It's getting tedious at the point where players still haven't maxed out two (FS and off, or FS and def) and with a 5th category it means I need an even stronger hero to max them all. At level 40 I'll be waiting like a week when I could still be doing a few swaps. My suggestion would be halve the waiting times, or stagger the times (1hr for each level at 1-10, 45 minutes for each level at 11-20, 30 minutes at each level there after).
      "It’s only when the tide goes out that you see who was swimming naked."

#MakeTravianGreatAgain #MTGA