New and interested, few questions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New and interested, few questions

Hi, a friend a while bac introduced me to Travian, I liked the concept, but was put on an account on a server mid-way through so was a little intimidated by the job at hand.

Before I register, I'd like to know the real difference between the three tribes. Gauls are best for newcomers? I'd hope to become fairly experienced as soon as possible, so will the 'good for newcomers' positive be negligent and therefore make me annoyed for choosing it later on?

What are the real benefits of each tribe, how do I know whether an attacking or defensive style is better for me. Finally, I don't have too much time, but am definitely interested in playing, what is the best way to setup an account so that enemies avoid me?

Thanks.
    • Gauls are definately the tribe you want to choose if you want to have an easy time protecting yourself as a new solo-player, as their default unit is the best well-rounded defensive unit, as well as access to traps and better crannies. These things combined make you a very undesirable target to raiders.

However, they aren't necessarily easier to play than romans, as romans have the perks of building both resource and infrastructure at the same time, and the praetorians are extremely good against clubs, and clubs will be your doom if you aren't prepared for aggressive teutons, which there are plenty of. The roman wall is also the strongest, which combined with some praetorians will make you untouchable vs teutons until they get rams and TKs. Things are abit more expensive as roman though, so I don't recommend training troops too early with them.

The only tribe that I don't recommend for starters is teuton, as you need some experience first and a clear plan from day 1 how you spend your resources. Your first defensive unit will be spearmen, which are garbage against infantry (however they are extremely strong vs cavalry), and you won't get any good defense against infantry until paladins. Also your wall is useless in the early levels. Inexperienced teutons are usually the main target for raiders in the early game.
    • Basically, with travian every tribe has pros and cons. And you need to balance these for how you want to play:

Romans have the most powerful troops, but they cost more than any other tribe so it takes longer to get established. They also have the strongest wall early, but the weakest wall later when people can smash it down with rams. They also have no good defence against cavalry meaning that you need to work well with an alliance for defence. Romans can build 2 buildings at once meaning they are better for players who have less time.

Gauls are the best all rounders, but the best at nothing. They have the best early defence due to a trapper protecting you but that is almost totally ineffective later. They have the cheapest defence troops and good defence against infantry and cavalry, but their defence eats more crop than both roman and teuton defence. Their offence builds the slowest making them the weakest offensively.

Teutons have the cheapest offense troops making them a favourite for offensive smashy players, but their offense troops have terrible defence. This means that they can easily be caught at home. Their walls also have terrible defence early meaning their troops can be caught and killed. They have poor infantry defence, meaning they have to work as a team to defend.

Normally defenders are gauls, and offensive players play roman or teuton, though some offensive players like the super fast gaul troops despite them taking longer to train.
      UK5,1 Annoying Gaul/CDT, UK5,2 Colt Seavers/Geoffles, Au1,3 Stringfellow/AoW, Au4,2 Spirit/KGB, TKCom2 Stringfellow/xTools, UK3,8 Spirit/Resurge, UK1,10 Tauriel/Havoc, UK1/11 Incognito/Betrayed
      #9 crop UK T3, first in clubbies, #2 attacker, #10 hero
      Your game don't scare me, I got hit by this

The post was edited 1 time, last by Cretin ().

• I agree with what the others said. I've tried all three tribes and always go back to playing offensive Gaul. You can play offensive or defensive with any tribe and each has it advantages and disadvantages. I think you can play any as a beginner but eventually you find the tribe that suits your play style best. The main thing is to get into a good alliance as Travian is best played as a team game.
      Once I was Mercy and before that I was Anonymous.
      It takes a very special kind of person to lose email addresses.
      For small mercies and mHudson, be grateful.
    • Crossbow Martini wrote:

What size army could do some damage?

As large as possible, you don't want to stop making troops. Also, many people make the mistake of only focusing infantry, and down-prioritizing cavalry and rams. Don't do that mistake, keep both stable, barracks and workshop running.

If you plan to play alone, and don't have any friends planned to defend you before the server, you should probably make your army in your capital, so you get the benefit of automatically dodging if you have gold club activated. Also, it's a good idea to be making some defensive units in a few other villages, and keep a low profile so the sharks don't find you. Keep your fighting to your level, and don't enrage any large alliances if you can't get backed up.
    • Defensive is only boring if you are not playing with other players, as you get the glory of stopping all the work of offensive players by positioning your anvil (which can move 3-5x faster than their hammer) in the right place.

It is also a good idea to build some offensive troops for a little fun, but if you make more than ~25% of your troops as offensive then you will probably hurt your defensive capability.

Similarly (as Placebo mentions above) a pure offensive player is best placed in a team. You need other players to defend you or you will need to much defence for self-preservation that you can never protect yourself. How many troops do you need for offence? Check some of the reports in my signature and you will see how extreme some armies get!!!

For starting out, I always recommend playing 75/25 defence/offence mix and look for a good alliance. Alliances will ALWAYS treat/look after defensive players much better as you help the alliance so much. Then ask a million questions and find players' whose strategies you like. Chat to them in skype and get them to sit your account and give advice. I have built WW and have been in the UK HoF and rank 1 on my current server, and always happy to sit and chat to players in my alliance - and you will find that most of the good players do this as we want more players to keep playing Travian.
      UK5,1 Annoying Gaul/CDT, UK5,2 Colt Seavers/Geoffles, Au1,3 Stringfellow/AoW, Au4,2 Spirit/KGB, TKCom2 Stringfellow/xTools, UK3,8 Spirit/Resurge, UK1,10 Tauriel/Havoc, UK1/11 Incognito/Betrayed
    • I'd definitely recommend finding the top (or second) alliance in your quadrant (North East, North West, South East, or South West) and asking to join up with them. Then lean on them for support and advice. Playing with only one other player very rarely works in this game, unless you are an elite duo working to undermine another player for the purpose of revenge from a previous server...
    • Playing solo works if you are well out of the centre and playing a quiet simming game. I've done that before and was left alone all server, but I didn't attack anyone either, just concentrated on building an endgame hammer.

If you want to have a more active server and get involved in attacking then you definitely need to be in a good alliance.
      Once I was Mercy and before that I was Anonymous.
      It takes a very special kind of person to lose email addresses.
      For small mercies and mHudson, be grateful.