A question on how the smithy/forge works:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A question on how the smithy/forge works:

My current alliance leader is recommending we upgrade our smithy/forge as it decreases the wheat consumption of troops. I am 99% sure this is not the case, could you guys let me know?

Many thanks,
      yay96
    • Hi Yay96

It defiantly does not decrease your wheat consumption. The only thing it does is increase the power of the troops you research. The below links will show you the details and how much increase you get from each level
      t4.answers.travian.co.uk/index.php?aid=76#go2answer
      travian.kirilloid.ru/troops.ph…=1&s_lvl=1&t_lvl=1&unit=1

worth noting that while troop numbers are low, resources are far better being invested in troop numbers rather than levelling up.
      gettertools.com/ts3.travian.co.uk.6/33-Technology-calc.

The only building that reduces wheat consumption is the Horse drinking trough which is unique to Romans, details below.
      t4.answers.travian.co.uk/index.php?aid=14#go2answer

The post was edited 6 times, last by Offspring_UK ().

• Thank you both for your reply, here is an extract of the message that was sent:

"When I am in the red wheat wise, and I level up troops in the forge and the wheat production improves, I assume it's to do with making troops more efficient. If you wish to disagree, you are welcome. Please try it should you have the same thing happen."

I'm glad you seem to agree with me, I was worried I had been missing out on this benefit over the years.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Cali ().

• yay96 wrote:

My current alliance leader is recommending we upgrade our smithy/forge as it decreases the wheat consumption of troops. I am 99% sure this is not the case, could you guys let me know?

Many thanks,
      yay96

As said, it definitely does not decrease actual wheat consumption, but perhaps as Crunchie said, they meant it would effectively raise the attack/defence power per wheat of each unit.

The post was edited 2 times, last by commander ().

• yay96 wrote:

Thank you both for your reply, here is an extract of the message that was sent:

"When I am in the red wheat wise, and I level up troops in the forge and the wheat production improves, I assume it's to do with making troops more efficient. If you wish to disagree, you are welcome. Please try it should you have the same thing happen."

I'm glad you seem to agree with me, I was worried I had been missing out on this benefit over the years.

For some reason I've only just seen this.. from that i can only assume either he's killed off troops without noticing, reinforced them somewhere or he was putting hero points into resources.

Ignoring what we know already, having just levelled my troops from 0 to 20 yesterday, there was defiantly no change in my wheat usage.
    • Try it as much as you like, it won't do a thing to affect the wheat consumption of your troops.

As others noted, the stronger your troops, the more efficient they are in surviving attacks - meaning that you get more oomph-power out of fewer troops ONLY because more of them will survive during an attack. This is mostly irrelevant for farmlist raiding, as if you're doing farmlist (micro) raiding correctly you should not be losing any troops at all. Perhaps if you are running out of troops in your raids and want to send fewer troopies to more targets, then ok.

But for most people it would matter more when you send a significant attack. Jawwwwsh posted this excellent "idiot-proof" table on when you should upgrade the forge for best efficiency: forum.travian.co.uk/showthread.php?t=72133 (and keep in mind it still mostly only matters for major attacks... if you are still before artes, for example, it may not be worthwhile to upgrade them until right as artes are released).

It seems to me your leader is a bit confused and got it wrong. Perhaps mixed it up with the horse drinking trough for Roman cavalry (which yes, decreases wheat consumption as it levels up). But hey, we can all learn something and those that think they know it all, in my experience, have the most to learn.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Elisa ().

• offspring wrote:

For some reason I've only just seen this.. from that i can only assume either he's killed off troops without noticing, reinforced them somewhere or he was putting hero points into resources.

Ignoring what we know already, having just levelled my troops from 0 to 20 yesterday, there was defiantly no change in my wheat usage.

No change?

Did you pause troop production during this time?

OMG! It's true!

Elisa wrote:

But hey, we can all learn something and those that think they know it all, in my experience, have the most to learn.

Not me. I know everything.

The post was edited 1 time, last by notorious crunchie ().

• I can confirm that as true. Crunchie does know everything.

Personally I would make sure foot troops and horses are fully upgraded before clearing artefacts. If I'm simming for an endgame hammer then I tend to leave siege until later as you don't need rams and only a couple hundred catapults for artefacts. Of course, if you aren't playing the long sim game and want to get into attacking opponents earlier then upgrading all troops is useful, and rams become much more important.
      Once I was Mercy and before that I was Anonymous.
      It takes a very special kind of person to lose email addresses.
      For small mercies and mHudson, be grateful.